Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Spur gear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Spur gear

I have had zero luck on finding a larger spur gear for my scx10.2. It’s a rtr trail honcho. Does it share the same transmission as other axial rigs? Does anyone have a part number or web link for something 60+ teeth? I’ve had horizon, rc4wd, and hot racing tell me there’s nothing available... I’m waiting on vp under drive axle gears in the mail but I have a feeling it still won’t be geared low enough. Any help will be more appreciated than you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Spur gear

What you need is a spur gear from an Axial Yeti. I'm running a steel 60t Axial spur, and a Robinson hardened 9t pinion. The spur cover no longer fits and any larger than 60t will be extremely close to the stock driveshafts, but if you go to thinner driveshafts you could probably fit the 64t.

Here's a quick blurb about the setup from my build thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane! View Post
I got the crawler back on the rocks!

I'm really happy with this powertrain setup. There is more power than I know what to do with and the low-speed control is better than I've ever driven, including a very strong drag brake. There is also a bit more wheelspeed than stock (35t 3slot, 2S, 56/13 gears) which was my goal too. The ESC has a 7.4V 3A BEC which makes the steering servo even snappier.

Crawlmaster Sport 550 12T
Hobbywing 1080 ESC
Turnigy 2200mah 3S 60C batteries
60t Axial metal spur gear
9t hardened Robinson pinion gear

zane! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:44 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Are the yeti spurs a direct bolt in or will I need some sort of slipper eliminator/adaptor? Thanks for the info.

Old 12-03-2020, 10:13 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-92 View Post
Are the yeti spurs a direct bolt in or will I need some sort of slipper eliminator/adaptor? Thanks for the info.

Bolted right up. I had to also get new slipper clutch pads as they are stuck with adhesive, the description said that the 31068 pads were needed so that's what I am running.

Axial Racing - Steel Spur Gear 32P 60T

This spur/pad combo is thicker than the stock plastic part so i barely have the nut tightened down on the spur shaft. I believe the end of the shaft is flush with the nut. These slipper pads and thicker gear could probably benefit from a shorter and softer spring so I can get more adjustment out of the slipper, I like keeping the slipper just loose enough that it will actually slip if I bind a tire instead of blowing up something in the drivetrain.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:07 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I really appreciate it, I’m surprised that info isn’t more widely talked about.

Old 12-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I really appreciate it, I’m surprised that info isn’t more widely talked about.

I agree, there's not a lot of info out there for gearing an SCX-10ii very low. I had to dig around for quite a while and compare parts specs to find an off-the-shelf option that works.
Old 12-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Got mine installed, finally feels geared low enough now that a 9t pinion will actually reach the spur lol. If you clip out the section on the cover where it’s clearanced for the drive shaft it can be reinstalled.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Got mine installed, finally feels geared low enough now that a 9t pinion will actually reach the spur lol. If you clip out the section on the cover where it’s clearanced for the drive shaft it can be reinstalled.

Really... Gotta go try that on the cover now. Thanks!

Glad it worked out for ya!
Old 12-13-2020, 12:30 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Bolts right on

Old 01-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #10

I was looking for larger spur also and came along this post. Since I didn't want to purchase a steel spur and have a 3d Printer I decided to make one. It can be downloaded from Thingiverse.. I have 58, 60, 61 and 62 tooth versions. I also have slipper pads that can be printed to use incase you cant get your hands on the real slipper pads right away

Hope it helps someone else out that is in the same boat.
BiggsFX is offline   Reply With Quote

Spur gear - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a metal upgrade gear for the 80T spur gear? maddogs1965 Axial Wraith 9 03-25-2014 11:31 AM
Which pinion gear works best with RC4WD Steel spur gear? e32lover HPI Wheely King 8 03-10-2013 06:09 PM
Which spur gear and pinion gear with 35t motor vegas1973 General Crawlers 1 08-19-2012 11:42 AM
Micro T spur and Micro Crawler spur gear. Same thing? matts175 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 10-15-2011 01:18 AM
Wobbling spur gear....Need alum. gear hub! sickfab HPI Wheely King 26 10-01-2007 02:09 AM