Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt

About to dump some photos. Let’s take a stroll back in time together. Pretend the 10iii has not hit the scene...lol. Pretty much the only way this will be interesting.

10ii Deadbolt RTR. Plans are:
27t HH crawlmaster sport (leftover from og10 build)
Already swapped radio
Amazon servo (ordered, been happy with them)
Bead locks with fancy rings
1.9s and eventually 2.2s
Wider hexes (can’t remember what size I ordered)
OG Scx10 shocks for now just because they look cooler. Rebuilt them.
Incision links

Anyways here’s some photos
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt

Unboxing. Ooohhh, ahhhhhh

Old 01-03-2021, 02:59 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Starting line. Look at that tx. It broke trying to shut the battery door. Threw it in the garbage and bound my other better bigger Tactic.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Fancy shmancy SCX10 shocks. Figured they will leak at about the same rate as the rtr 10ii units but look prettier.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I think the server is backed up on PostImage so while I wait I will babble about ‘first impressions’.

Plastic: flexible
Tranny: loud, clicky
Motor: loud
Servo: slow, loud
Steering: seems pretty good, very sharp
Tires: decent, but glued on. Shame because I actually like the look of the wheels
Transmitter: absolute garbage. If I didn’t have a backup I’d be instantly throwing money at this thing lol
Overall impression: even for the lowest level RTR in Axials current fleet this thing is disappointing. But I think there is enough to work with (read: axles) and it will be fine for my girl.

I’m not trying to rag on Axial, I knew what I was buying. But I am surprised how cheap this thing feels versus the Enduro that I paid $50 less for. I would definitely sell someone new to this on something besides this particular rig.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:14 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Incision links. Assembled as expected, no surprises.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I do like these axles and the cms. Drooled over them whilst staring at my SXX10 dinosaurs.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Current status. Mounted tires, de-stickered, lowered the body posts one notch, links and shocks on...looks decent.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

That radio is the worst looking radio I’ve seen. It looks like it comes with a cheap New Bright RC lol. Looking good so far! I’m glad I went with the builders kit, sounds like all the electronics pretty much suck. Looks a lot better without the stickers.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Not a bad looking truck, the Deadbolt body is just classy looking and I like that it is pinched front and rear. Kid wants the light bar to stay but I plan on putting a functional LED bar up there.

Old 01-03-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
That radio is the worst looking radio I’ve seen. It looks like it comes with a cheap New Bright RC lol. Looking good so far! I’m glad I went with the builders kit, sounds like all the electronics pretty much suck. Looks a lot better without the stickers.

Yeah I hope the overall quality of that kit far exceeds this rtr...I knew the servo/motor would be short lived but just surprised at the overall fit/finish/feel of the platform. Definitely showing it’s age. I may break it down and see if I can figure out why the tranny is so loud if it doesn’t settle in. The one in my SCX10 was much smoother and the Enduro is silent.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Yeah I hope the overall quality of that kit far exceeds this rtr...I knew the servo/motor would be short lived but just surprised at the overall fit/finish/feel of the platform. Definitely showing it’s age. I may break it down and see if I can figure out why the tranny is so loud if it doesn’t settle in. The one in my SCX10 was much smoother and the Enduro is silent.

I think it will. I’m starting with good electronics and going from there. How is the chassis flex on this? I seen in one of Harleys video where the chassis is pretty flexible. I’m already saying to myself I want to get a Trailwalker next lol. I think far far ahead.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:36 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Put the Hyrax on the Enduro and the Boggers on the Deadbolt. Theory being the kid will have more fun with these oversized tires than me. Less technical. Honestly they make for a somewhat lazy run, lines are not impossible with tires that tall. Will definitely be on servo death watch lol. These will look sick once I get the spacers on them.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:45 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Been snooping around for a grill, kiddo said this sticker sucks lol. If anyone knows of a cool one let me know, most of the ones I’m seeing are on EBay and I won’t shop there :(
Old 01-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

LOL

lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 06:09 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Hey, nice deadbolt. I'm glad I'm not the only one less than impressed with the 10.2. At least, after owning a trx4 and an element anyway.

Looking forward to similar mayhem as seen in your trailwalker thread.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #17
Go Buckeyes!

Ah, brings back memories of my first rig I bought when I got back into the hobby a few years back. I picked up the original lime green Deadbolt with the OG axles. The plastics back then felt like noodles! As it sits today, the only stock parts left on it is the chassis rails, body and believe it or not the stock ESC. Everything else got replaced to help stiffen up the chassis flex and to make it trail and rock ready.

Agree on the body, I have always liked the look of it!

I'm sure your daughter will love it no matter what and I'm looking forward to hearing how she likes it!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Still on the hunt for a grille I like but this will do for now. Tried to make something a little Toyota Land Cruiser looking. Is just styrene, kit light covers, hobby store jewels, flat black and rust oleum aluminum paint.

Also added the wheels spacers. Looking beastly. Charging up one of the new 3s to see what Jr can do with it this evening, should be interesting. She also wants “stickers like dad’s” so going to let her pick out a few sponsor decals for the fenders.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:10 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Still on the hunt for a grille I like but this will do for now. Tried to make something a little Toyota Land Cruiser looking. Is just styrene, kit light covers, hobby store jewels, flat black and rust oleum aluminum paint.

Also added the wheels spacers. Looking beastly. Charging up one of the new 3s to see what Jr can do with it this evening, should be interesting. She also wants “stickers like dad’s” so going to let her pick out a few sponsor decals for the fenders.

That grille really turns that body around, It looks good! Spacers so make it look good too.

Old 01-05-2021, 01:32 PM   #20
Go Buckeyes!

Nice! Grill looks great!

Another option for a grill is the Knight Customs 3D printed grill that can be found on Shapeways. I know, I know, it is the hated angry eye version, but back when I bought it a few years back it was still kinda popular!

Here is a pic of my Deadbolt with the KC grill. Kinda hard to see. It’s the only pic left on my camera at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Phildirt’s Axial SCX10ii Deadbolt - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phildirt’s Jeep Phildirt Axial SCX-10 68 05-10-2021 08:01 PM
Phildirt’s Element Enduro Trailwalker Phildirt Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 419 03-21-2021 10:00 PM
Axial scx24 deadbolt beefed up vs stock deadbolt Rcing4life Scale Videos! 0 08-13-2020 07:55 PM
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Deadbolt SCX10ii - Dazed and confused Flattie Axial SCX10 II 16 11-19-2018 08:47 PM