Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: SLN’s Axial Experience

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2021, 07:12 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SLN’s Axial Experience

I'm done with SSD wheels. The hardware is cheaply made and brittle. Put one wheel together and the bead popped out. 3 screws came out fine, then the 4th one broke in half Didn't use loctite either. Wheels looks good, but screws are garbage.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #62
RCC Addict

So you assembled the wheel, then the bead popped out, and a screw broke while removing it so you could re-seat the bead?
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:44 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Default SLN’s Axial Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
So you assembled the wheel, then the bead popped out, and a screw broke while removing it so you could re-seat the bead?

Yes, exactly what happened. Considered My fault to manufacturers but still aggravating

Old 01-23-2021, 06:26 AM   #64
RCC Addict

Still sounds like you are tightening the screws too much. I’ve disassembled my Chinese true bead locks about 6 times and still haven’t stripped a head or snapped a screw, my other set I’ve done 3 times...we are talking over 100 screws each time...not saying I’m better at it, maybe lucky...but if they are snapping on the way out it sounds like considerable torque was applied on the way in. Have you watched a video on how to assemble them? I’ve never had to fight the kind that has 5-6 screws on one side and a ring on the other. Now the ones with a ring on both sides are a different story lol. Especially with Proline boggers
Old 01-23-2021, 06:34 AM   #65
RCC Addict

It may have been said before, but it is critical when tightening wheel screws to do it small increments in a star shaped pattern. You want to keep from applying excessive force on any one screw.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:41 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
It may have been said before, but it is critical when tightening wheel screws to do it small increments in a star shaped pattern. You want to keep from applying excessive force on any one screw.
Yep, I made sure to do a star pattern tightening very little at a time.

Quote:
Still sounds like you are tightening the screws too much. I’ve disassembled my Chinese true bead locks about 6 times and still haven’t stripped a head or snapped a screw, my other set I’ve done 3 times...we are talking over 100 screws each time...not saying I’m better at it, maybe lucky...but if they are snapping on the way out it sounds like considerable torque was applied on the way in. Have you watched a video on how to assemble them? I’ve never had to fight the kind that has 5-6 screws on one side and a ring on the other. Now the ones with a ring on both sides are a different story lol. Especially with Proline boggers

Yeah, I may have just overtightened it, but it still surprises me how easily is snaps. I’m going to still run it with just 5 screws lol. The other 3 went on flawlessly. Now that I think about it, I think it went in a tiny bit sideways. Either way, oh well, stuff happens.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-23-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:32 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

A little bit sideways is cross threading...

Cross threading will break any bolt, no matter the size. You cannot blame the hardware for installation error.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:34 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
A little bit sideways is cross threading...

Cross threading will break any bolt, no matter the size. You cannot blame the hardware for installation error.

Yeah, I know.

Old 01-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

I think I may have to vent my wheels. I really didn't want to, but after running them yesterday I set the rig in the trunk, got to the next spot and the tire had lost a lot of air in the tire. If I do, I'm going to do the wheels instead of the tires because I do find my self in Freshwater every once in a while, and I can just put a piece of electrical tape over the hole on the wheel.

I'm not worried about missing one bolt on the wheel, it was just fine yesterday for roughly an hour of trailing on the TRX4

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-25-2021 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #70
RCC Addict

While I do agree with not poking holes in the tires I would also inspect/figure out how the air is escaping to begin with in that short of a period. Mine sit for quite a while (days) and don't do that.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:15 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
While I do agree with not poking holes in the tires I would also inspect/figure out how the air is escaping to begin with in that short of a period. Mine sit for quite a while (days) and don't do that.
Yeah, not going to do it right now because maybe it was just the heat in the hot car? It didn't do it on the trails though, so that's what matters lol.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:44 PM   #72
I wanna be Dave

Little bit of an update for y’all

I have this rig completely tore down and currently undergoing some changes. The most notable progress will be made next week since I’ll have my 3D printer back on Monday.

Don’t mind my ugly foams, went to do a star pattern cut and chickened out. A keen eye will also see I have my Traxxas connector on my ESC. Was going to put the XT60 back on, but made more since to wire up a connector that I already had then having to buy an adapter just to keep an XT60 on. I kept the wire long so when/if I change batteries, I still have plenty of wire left.

Oh yeah, I vented 2 wheels, and I wish I wouldn’t have. My drill bit broke, hints only doing two. I only did the beadlock ring, so I may pick up a new set of rings.

That’s it for now.

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 01-28-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2021, 04:05 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

Meh. I’ve changed my mind and decided to just leave it how it is for now. May still do it later on down the road, but not something I’m too interested in right now.

I was going to print up some LCG rails just for S&G’s, but decided it’s not really something I’m interested in-for now. I have them designed up though, so if I do decide to, I can simply hot print.

About to assemble it back together and just roll with it the way it is.

Still need to finish connecting the motor leads, but want to get some flux before I do.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:16 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

Place-holder fuel cell lol.

It’s just a mock up to get a base size and where I need to adjust. The final result will be printed and look loads better. Don’t mind all the zip ties, that’s just to hold it down while measuring.

Old 01-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Hole up bro we’ve never seen this thing assembled lol. Can you take a pic next time? I take photos of mine just because the barometric pressure changed in Thailand, let alone something as momentous as my first builder kit in action.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:19 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hole up bro we’ve never seen this thing assembled lol. Can you take a pic next time? I take photos of mine just because the barometric pressure changed in Thailand, let alone something as momentous as my first builder kit in action.

Oh shoot, your right. Assembled picture coming right up!

Old 01-30-2021, 07:29 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Per Phil’s request!

Old 01-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Old 01-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

Old 01-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

#posershot

SLN’s Axial Experience - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your experience with Axial Rockster Beadlocks? DrDiff952 Axial Wraith 15 01-14-2014 03:30 PM
anyone had any experience with these? slash 127 General Scale Talk 5 02-22-2013 04:52 PM
Does anyone have any experience with.... kaetwo General Scale Talk 4 07-16-2008 11:05 AM
Anyone else experience this? ecoli Electronics 7 04-16-2008 04:59 PM
my 1:18 experience dhoffroad General Crawlers 15 01-26-2006 10:53 PM