Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 II

Notices

Thread: Servo Relocation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Default Servo Relocation

I've had a few people recommend a servo relocation to front by the bumper mount. I have the 17 wrangler crc RTR SCX10 ii. Every relocation mount I find says it only works with the two Cherokee models. I'm not seeing what would be different between them that it wouldnt fit the Wrangler. Anyone try this with the wrangler?

Looking at this mount:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Axial-SCX10...:rk:5:pf:0&var
InSaYnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo Relocation

Can’t say, but I used the bowhouse kit on my raw kit.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:31 PM   #3

That appears to be the stock servo location?
Old 01-18-2019, 08:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSaYnE View Post
That appears to be the stock servo location?

Yep I have no bump steer or binding in this location, this plate will allow me to flip the trans

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I've had a few people recommend a servo relocation to front by the bumper mount. I have the 17 wrangler crc RTR SCX10 ii. Every relocation mount I find says it only works with the two Cherokee models. I'm not seeing what would be different between them that it wouldnt fit the Wrangler. Anyone try this with the wrangler?

Looking at this mount:

On the RTR's the battery plate is a little too long. Other than that, it will work with all models, with no bump steer. This is on my kit version. You can see my ESC opposite the servo on the plate, since I run 1300mAh 3s packs. Notice my drag link and pan hard rod are still parallel.

Last edited by DRTMI; 01-18-2019 at 09:42 PM.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Geez, could they upscale that anymore.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 10:50 PM   #7

So aside from the stock battery tray there no reason the forward servo mount and associated battery tray wouldn’t work then right? It wasn’t making sense to me at all what would cause incompatibility.

Edit: also I bought the largest 3s that will fit in the stock battery box so RIP me haha.

Last edited by InSaYnE; 01-18-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:49 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

The mentioned servo relocation kit was designed for 90046 together with flat battery tray. If you do not want to use battery tray, you have to think a way to make it.

I managed to get this work on my son's 90047 by filing some corners off.

However, important to know this kit changes the servo arm and pull bar's geometry. You need to have very thin ball end plus bolt for fixing servo arm and pull bar together. Otherwise it hits steering limitation bar (I do not know how to name it) and lead to incomplete shock compression. I also experience other issue such as some 90 degrees servo does not give full range of steering as the servo was installed in different direction.

If you can get all those work, the quality of the kit is quite good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by lszomb; 01-19-2019 at 12:57 AM.
lszomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:49 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lszomb View Post
The mentioned servo relocation kit was designed for 90046 together with flat battery tray. If you do not want to use battery tray, you have to think a way to make it.

I managed to get this work on my son's 90047 by filing some corners off.

However, important to know this kit changes the servo arm and pull bar's geometry. You need to have very thin ball end plus bolt for fixing servo arm and pull bar together. Otherwise it hits steering limitation bar (I do not know how to name it) and lead to incomplete shock compression. I also experience other issue such as some 90 degrees servo does not give full range of steering as the servo was installed in different direction.

If you can get all those work, the quality of the kit is quite good.

If youre havin issues with panhard hitting the axle, give these a try. I put them on my scx10ii after installin the servo/bumper relocation mount. I have no issues with bump steer n i get fully compression

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122561614348

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
If youre havin issues with panhard hitting the axle, give these a try. I put them on my scx10ii after installin the servo/bumper relocation mount. I have no issues with bump steer n i get fully compression

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F122561614348

Thanks for this. That is the reason which I said the installation might run into trouble depending on what you have on the truck. My issue is a combination about servo, knuckle, and steering bar. As shown in following photo, my servo's center point does not allow me to put servo arm straight. I am using SSD steering pull bar that is same as you. However maybe the original knuckle does not have same structure as your knuckle, two steering bar are inline to each others and give my son's truck problem.

Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks for this. That is the reason which I said the installation might run into trouble depending on what you have on the truck. My issue is a combination about servo, knuckle, and steering bar. As shown in following photo, my servo's center point does not allow me to put servo arm straight. I am using SSD steering pull bar that is same as you. However maybe the original knuckle does not have same structure as your knuckle, two steering bar are inline to each others and give my son's truck problem.

Your drag link looks a lil long. The SSD drag link n panhard fit mine perfect. I did drop my draglink a lil with a rodend pivot ball. If u do get the SSD links, it helps it out the threaded inserts in the rod ends first, then into the link

Old 01-20-2019, 09:04 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Your drag link looks a lil long. The SSD drag link n panhard fit mine perfect. I did drop my draglink a lil with a rodend pivot ball. If u do get the SSD links, it helps it out the threaded inserts in the rod ends first, then into the link

Thanks! Yeah, I am using SSD drag link with by default length. It fits original servo location perfectly. Since the servo relocation kid moved the servo more to center, it became a bit wired now. I can replace the longer link end to a shorter one but yet to know how much would that help. I have no plan to cut my SSD drag link though.

Using a low profile pivot ball and sunken bolt will also help to solve the issue.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I am using SSD drag link with by default length. It fits original servo location perfectly. Since the servo relocation kid moved the servo more to center, it became a bit wired now. I can replace the longer link end to a shorter one but yet to know how much would that help. I have no plan to cut my SSD drag link though.

Using a low profile pivot ball and sunken bolt will also help to solve the issue.

If youre goina shorten anything, id shorten the rodend

Old 04-07-2022, 10:10 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
On the RTR's the battery plate is a little too long. Other than that, it will work with all models, with no bump steer. This is on my kit version. You can see my ESC opposite the servo on the plate, since I run 1300mAh 3s packs. Notice my drag link and pan hard rod are still parallel.
Hey I’m a little (a lot) late to this conversation, but I’m looking for a center battery, servo relocation setup like this. Would you mind sharing links to the battery tray and servo relocation?

Getting my Savox 1210 tall servo to fit nicely without the servo arm hitting the frame railing, panhard mount, or panhard, is proving very difficult and this mod may be just what I need.

Looking into the RC Pirates servo mount, battery tray, and front shock mounts as a potential alternative too. Still puts the servo in the same spot, but with everything being metal I can dial it in perfectly without my servo torquing the plastic mounts around.

Last edited by SaltyDog; 04-07-2022 at 10:12 AM.
SaltyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Looking at this mount:

That's a great servo mount if used in conjunction with the lay-down battery tray. It fits all SCX10 II vehicles, not limited to the 90046 kit. You may have to trim the battery tray to clear the motor, but is well worth the effort. This set-up is particularly good if you use heavy batteries. It notably lowers the CG.

I just happened to have ordered the servo mount and battery tray for my son's Honcho. Aside from my son's rig, I have installed the same kit on 7 other SCX10 II rigs, all with good results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35398670232...UAAOSwLOJiR3af
suprachrgd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 02:32 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachrgd82 View Post
That's a great servo mount if used in conjunction with the lay-down battery tray. It fits all SCX10 II vehicles, not limited to the 90046 kit. You may have to trim the battery tray to clear the motor, but is well worth the effort. This set-up is particularly good if you use heavy batteries. It notably lowers the CG.

I just happened to have ordered the servo mount and battery tray for my son's Honcho. Aside from my son's rig, I have installed the same kit on 7 other SCX10 II rigs, all with good results.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/35398670232...UAAOSwLOJiR3af
In your experience did you have to modify any parts or was it pretty plug and play?

I probably would have ordered the Pirates combo right away but the battery try is out of stock so it slowed me down a bit.
Old 04-07-2022, 02:50 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
In your experience did you have to modify any parts or was it pretty plug and play?

I probably would have ordered the Pirates combo right away but the battery try is out of stock so it slowed me down a bit.
Of the aforementioned kits, 4 of 7 bolted right in. 3 required the tray to be cut down. I trimmed about 1/2 inch just because it fit the shape of the cut-outs in the tray. Do note that they come in several shapes/lengths/materials. Best case it will all all bolt in, worst case it'll take you 10 minutes with a hacksaw and sandpaper.

My order looks like it will arrive on the 12th, in which case you are welcomed to WhatsApp me and view the installation.

Found a pic of one of the intsallations: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2hQjB44212vGYUXG9

Last edited by suprachrgd82; 04-07-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprachrgd82 View Post
Of the aforementioned kits, 4 of 7 bolted right in. 3 required the tray to be cut down. I trimmed about 1/2 inch just because it fit the shape of the cut-outs in the tray. Do note that they come in several shapes/lengths/materials. Best case it will all all bolt in, worst case it'll take you 10 minutes with a hacksaw and sandpaper.

My order looks like it will arrive on the 12th, in which case you are welcomed to WhatsApp me and view the installation.

Found a pic of one of the intsallations: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2hQjB44212vGYUXG9
That looks great! And super clean wiring job too. What do you have mounted on the far slider?

Edit: I’m just now realizing the everything in this build has been moved around. Would you mind explaining this setup?

Last edited by SaltyDog; 04-09-2022 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-10-2022, 04:56 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
That looks great! And super clean wiring job too. What do you have mounted on the far slider?

Edit: I’m just now realizing the everything in this build has been moved around. Would you mind explaining this setup?
That is the 90046 kit with the older style trans. It has a 2-speed with the shift servo on the slider tray. Aside from that, Gmade 85mm dampers, JazRider shock hoops and chassis braces, Savox servo, Incision driveshafts, Mamba 2840, Proline Colorado body (paint inspired by Dirt King).

Here’s the standard SCX10 II kit with a tray that has been shortened about 1/2”. The cut is made even with the 3 parallel slots seen in the link in my previous post. This one has the standard single speed trans and the same parts as above. https://photos.app.goo.gl/ye3fpKPKMm9xMrTj8

Sorry for having to post links to pics, in the 14 years I’ve been on this forum I have only been able to get 1 photo to post up correctly.

Last edited by suprachrgd82; 04-10-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04-11-2022, 09:47 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Parts came today. My 8 year old son helped for the 10 minutes his attention span allowed, then I was left to complete the job.

The battery tray had to be cut to clear the motor;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/4QM3wCdeNda3Nyqb8

The parts in the top of the photo are spares/junk;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oX88dheTUhbLnr4t8

Tray installed;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gfVUeEBsrV9pWHKN9

Servo mount installed. I used M3x12 screws for 3 holes. The screw with the hex-driver in it is a M3x10 screw (shorter to clear one of the servo screws). If you use a 2-post bumper rather than a frame mounted bumper, you’ll likely use three M3x10 and one M3x8 screws.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/KCG7DUptBCtYqXt99

Completed with bumper, servo bracket and battery tray;
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7sN7ivcYxfnCguLM9

Last edited by suprachrgd82; 04-11-2022 at 10:03 PM.

Servo Relocation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
servo relocation problem sid lives Traxxas TRX-4 10 12-29-2018 09:12 AM
A different type steering servo relocation mod? Maybe :) Tim3 General Scale Talk 0 12-05-2018 02:02 PM
Center Servo Relocation jimkill Axial SCX10 II 3 01-06-2018 07:27 PM
Steering servo relocation question Interceptor Axial SCX-10 11 11-18-2014 06:55 PM
rc4wd servo relocation boogz General Crawlers 0 09-03-2014 11:40 AM