Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10 III coming soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #361
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 III coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
That's funny, it says the pinion is 48p 14t in the parts list in the manual (top of pg 5...maybe another typo...?
That doesn't surprise me. The exact same error occurred when the Capra was released. Not only was the error in the manual, it was also on the website. Took me calling Horizon Hobby, to bring it to their attention, for them to even realize & correct the error.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2020, 12:17 PM   #362
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
5) While I'm (somewhat) in agreement about the Jeep body (as others are), it's impossible for me to see how that would be a "deal killer"...there are countless other bodies available, and there's always more body choices being released.

For many, value is very important. The 10 iii is not exactly a cheap kit. Some people don't want to pay for parts they don't want. The Jeep body is very nicely detailed, and worth a few bucks. If the resale market gets flooded with these JL bodies, it could make it hard to sell them for a high price. Same could potentially be said for the tires.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:21 PM   #363
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
For many, value is very important. The 10 iii is not exactly a cheap kit. Some people don't want to pay for parts they don't want. The Jeep body is very nicely detailed, and worth a few bucks. If the resale market gets flooded with these JL bodies, it could make it hard to sell them for a high price. Same could potentially be said for the tires.
I'd say, keep the tires, mount them, and use them for initial testing, especially for kits that come sans tires. As for the body, there's always going to be someone who wants to buy it. Alternately, can keep it, and paint it up to be a "shelf queen".

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 03-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #364
RCC Addict

Quote:
Took me calling Horizon Hobby, to bring it to their attention, for them to even realize & correct the error.
At least we have quick access to Rich!

TBH, my Gmade BOM is still wearing its stock tires. Even after an organized somewhat comp event with it I feel like it would be hard to improve on them with aftermarket. I'll always try the stock first...never know.

Last edited by 2mtech; 03-30-2020 at 12:31 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #365
Rock Crawler

Quote:
TBH, my Gmade BOM is still wearing its stock tires. Even after an organized somewhat comp event with it I feel like it would be hard to improve on them with aftermarket. I'll always try the stock first...never know.

My Ascender K10 still wears its stock Super Swamper tires after over a year.

In my experience, it is easy to love your truck the way it is, until you put it up against somebody else's truck. lol I think that's definitely part of why I tend to avoid groups and comps.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #366
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In my experience, it is easy to love your truck the way it is, until you put it up against somebody else's truck. lol I think that's definitely part of why I tend to avoid groups and comps.
As long as you trail alone, you always have the best, and most capable, vehicle. No...not "making fun" of you, promise. Honestly, I do understand your perspective. I avoid MMORPGs, and other multiplayer-only games, specifically because I prefer the solo play...always have (been a gamer since the original Atari VCS).

Old 03-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #367
RCC Addict

Quote:
Quote:
As long as you trail alone, you always have the best, and most capable, vehicle.
My problem is that I'm always up against my GF's well modified and custom tweaked Ascender, not to mention her sometimes infuriatingly superior driving, so any truck I field inherently has to measure up to that, as will this one!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Man you sure dismissed all the things he didn’t like about it. I don’t want it either but I’ve voiced my reasons and didn’t get beat down like this guy.

Are you referring to me? I wasn't beating him down at all. Ah least that wasn't my intention. I was just giving my opinion on the things he mentioned.

Quote:
That's funny, it says the pinion is 48p 14t in the parts list in the manual top of pg 58...maybe another typo...?

And, yeah, duh, I regularly manage to get lysdexic on the gear up or down between the pinion and spur. It's written down in my phone, trust me...just need to refer to it more often.

FedEx just delivered mine so they came through after all!

I didn't look there, but it's definitely 32p gears.

I have to double check myself sometimes too. Best way I've heard it described is with the pinion when you go down in teeth you go down in top speed and down in heat. Go up in pinion teeth and you get more speed and more heat.

Congrats! Get that build thread posted!
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:48 PM   #369

Hi Everyone on this thread , I’m thoroughly enjoying everyone’s build as we don’t have them here yet down under, so keep the content coming please. I think it’s sad that people are already starting to fault this kit which is the best thing to come from Axial since the 2012 JK kit ( which I have 3 and one RTR ) . If engineers had endless budgets they would build the perfect vehicle and someone still wouldn’t like it. I been waiting for a Decent JL body ( thanks Axial) just hope they finally do a 2dr given it has the adjustable chassis, also on price I was quoted $730 AUD from our local importer of Axial so what you guys in the US are paying in your currency is not so bad . Real Jeeps aren’t as popular here as they also are expensive with import taxes etc and we don’t get all the engine options etc , the reason I haven’t bought one but still desire one.
So with this Pandemic taking over the world and how we live , for those that are fit and healthy enjoy your new kits and your wheeling time as there are many not so fortunate and for those that don’t like the new SCX10 iii kit look elsewhere as this thread should remain positive and only constructive criticism to help those that haven’t built theirs yet to avoid any issues.

Stay safe and have a good day all
sm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #370
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I didn't look there, but it's definitely 32p gears.

I have to double check myself sometimes too. Best way I've heard it described is with the pinion when you go down in teeth you go down in top speed and down in heat. Go up in pinion teeth and you get more speed and more heat.
Correct you are on both counts. I ordered an 11, 12 and 13 tooth pinion, suppose I'll start with the 12 since some people are stating they feel the truck is geared a little high anyway.

Quote:
Congrats! Get that build thread posted!
Yeah, um...about that...?
Old 03-30-2020, 05:09 PM   #371
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm77 View Post
Hi Everyone on this thread , I’m thoroughly enjoying everyone’s build as we don’t have them here yet down under, so keep the content coming please. I think it’s sad that people are already starting to fault this kit which is the best thing to come from Axial since the 2012 JK kit ( which I have 3 and one RTR ) . If engineers had endless budgets they would build the perfect vehicle and someone still wouldn’t like it. I been waiting for a Decent JL body ( thanks Axial) just hope they finally do a 2dr given it has the adjustable chassis, also on price I was quoted $730 AUD from our local importer of Axial so what you guys in the US are paying in your currency is not so bad . Real Jeeps aren’t as popular here as they also are expensive with import taxes etc and we don’t get all the engine options etc , the reason I haven’t bought one but still desire one.

So with this Pandemic taking over the world and how we live , for those that are fit and healthy enjoy your new kits and your wheeling time as there are many not so fortunate and for those that don’t like the new SCX10 iii kit look elsewhere as this thread should remain positive and only constructive criticism to help those that haven’t built theirs yet to avoid any issues.

Stay safe and have a good day all
^5

Old 03-31-2020, 04:01 AM   #372
Rock Crawler

Quote:
1. I've only run mine inside for a short test drive so far and it is noisy. There are a lot of gears in the transmission and they are all metal, including the pinion and spur gear, so there's no way to get around the noise. The pinion/spur mesh isn't lubed so that makes it louder.
2. Haven't ran it enough to touch on that.
3. Lock out the 2-speed if you don't like it. It would be very nice of the transmission was built in a modular fashion where the 2-speed and dig were bolted on, but that would be a more extensive and expensive design.
4. No kit or RTR includes tires that are fantastic. That's a moot point.
5. Agree that it's a Jeep, but it's the most well-done Jeep body ever and it looks great.
You made kinda my point ...as I said before that car isnt probably for ME

BTW TRX4 tires are pretty good out of the box and
@SM77 "...and for those that don’t like the new SCX10 iii kit look elsewhere as this thread should remain positive and only constructive criticism to help those that haven’t built theirs yet to avoid any issues..."
I think this thread isnt a build or construction post so a bit critism from a personal point of view is pretty ok in my book.
You can pad your shoulders in one of the other hundred posts about the car.

Last edited by themountain; 03-31-2020 at 04:13 AM.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 04:36 AM   #373
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Are you referring to me? I wasn't beating him down at all. Ah least that wasn't my intention. I was just giving my opinion on the things he mentioned.
I was. Good to know I misinterpreted it though! Sometimes the internet is hard. lol.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:35 AM   #374

Quote:
Originally Posted by themountain View Post
BTW TRX4 tires are pretty good out of the box
Yeah they're alright, but still not comparable to Proline, Pitbull, etc IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
I was. Good to know I misinterpreted it though! Sometimes the internet is hard. lol.
Getting a person's "feel" or intentions from text is very hard. I was just showing him the other side of the coin - at least from my perspective.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #375
Sr. Product Developer

Believe it or not...I love reading this stuff...all of it from the good to the bad...to the ridiculous theories (not this thread in particular) and speculation.

I'll follow up on that 14T pinion. That's an old Axial number so maybe it got mixed up in the transition.

As for tires, this compound is softer than anything we have done in a kit so far, however this material compound base is heat sensitive. The is the best option we have to provide in kits. The rubber found in aftermarket tire companies is far more expensive and different..making it cost prohibitive...and even if we did include killer compounds 90% of users would still change them out or say they suck LOL.

Thanks guys for the feedbback (positive and negative) and the chuckles.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #376
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
As for tires, this compound is softer than anything we have done in a kit so far, however this material compound base is heat sensitive. The is the best option we have to provide in kits. The rubber found in aftermarket tire companies is far more expensive and different..making it cost prohibitive...and even if we did include killer compounds 90% of users would still change them out or say they suck LOL.

Thanks guys for the feedbback (positive and negative) and the chuckles.

Rich
No worries, Rich. I can't speak for others, but, personally, I know I'd much prefer a kit with no tires, or "cheap" tires, over a kit with costly tires which would increase the cost of the kit. While I'm still getting familiar with crawlers, I've already learned a huge similarity between them, and my race vehicles (almost entirely TLR), and that's that different treads, and different compounds, are needed for different situations.

The fact that tires...any tires, including "cheap" tires...are included in a crawler kit is a good thing to me. It'll give me the opportunity to test out the vehicle, and figure what might best for my needs. Hopefully, I'll be able to get that SCX10.3 ordered soon.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:15 AM   #377
I wanna be Dave

Default SCX10 III coming soon?

I noticed when venting mine they felt much different than most other tires, Yes it was hot outside (90) but they were inside in the sun, and I will say I can’t wait to see how they do. Even the plugs seemed different

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #378
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I noticed when venting mine they felt much different than most other tires, Yes it was hot outside (90) but they were inside in the sun, and I will say I can’t wait to see how they do. Even the plugs seemed different

Hang up and Drive
This brings up a good point...the wheels have a built in breather hole, if the wheel faces are not lined up with the hole, you can actually block the breather hole. I need to do a post about this.

Thanks for the unintentional reminder LOL
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #379
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
This brings up a good point...the wheels have a built in breather hole, if the wheel faces are not lined up with the hole, you can actually block the breather hole. I need to do a post about this.

Rich, I've noticed (I'm sure you have, as well) several people pointing out a 'problem' with the panhard (ie. too thin, flexing, possibly weak/brittle plastic of the rod ends, etc). Can you "clarify" this, and indicate what, if anything, Axial is doing to fix this?

Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 AM   #380
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I saw that when looking at the wheels, I didn’t run those though.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 III coming soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Yeah Racing SCX10 II Accessories RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-23-2019 03:25 PM
Coming soon the Reef's RC Products SCX10/SCX10 II Sliders! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2019 11:29 AM
Coming Soon the NEW SSD SCX10 II CVD Axle Shafts! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-30-2018 04:36 PM
Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? TFitzPat87 Axial SCX10 II 23 01-13-2017 11:46 PM
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM