Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10 III coming soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #41
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: SCX10 III coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post
Looks like a TRX4 and VS4-10 had a baby.
That's what I thought!

I think it looks good! I'll have to see one in person to make my final judgement!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2020, 04:38 AM   #42
Gold Star Baby!

Manual up...

https://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/AXI03007-Manual-ML.pdf

New chassis!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Topher Builds; 03-19-2020 at 04:40 AM.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:52 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs10man View Post
Bloody Jeep again, not too interested
+2
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:54 AM   #44
Gold Star Baby!

I mean, the body is the easiest part to change... there’s a lot more going on here than it being a Jeep ya know
Old 03-19-2020, 04:58 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I mean, the body is the easiest part to change... there’s a lot more going on here than it being a Jeep ya know

Yes can clearly see that but something other than a Jeep would have been nice and different to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rs10man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:01 AM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Exactly!

I am a Jeep fan though, and I think the body looks good!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:02 AM   #47
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Yes can clearly see that but something other than a Jeep would have been nice and different to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Definitely agree, but considering their Jeep licenses I think a JL was a no brainer.

At least it’s scaled out with an interior, molded parts, and cage. Should be easy to sell second hand to fund something else.
Old 03-19-2020, 05:29 AM   #48

Looks like Axial has a winner. I think they stepped up and released a truck with the features necessary to remain as a major player in this market.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:39 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

I like it. After my spending spree last year I haven't built anything new since I pieced together my Capra/SCX10 mutt. Looks like things are about to change. Sorry wallet.

Do we know if they are using the new Capra plastic, or the old al dente pasta that they have used in the past?
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:44 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Looks to be a good ole Axial Kit Bash Rearrange Release...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I like it. After my spending spree last year I haven't built anything new since I pieced together my Capra/SCX10 mutt. Looks like things are about to change. Sorry wallet.

Do we know if they are using the new Capra plastic, or the old al dente pasta that they have used in the past?
Purely speculation on my part, but it seems extremely unlikely that they'd revert back to that noodley crap after transitioning to the good stuff.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:00 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
SVT the prophet
I have a few good sources.

Also, I learned our local shop will have an assembled demo unit tomorrow which I will be borrowing this weekend for a thorough inspection.

One of the things in the manual that caught my attention was this:

They went through the effort to create separate portal and non-portal ratios for the transmission and included this in the manual. Clearly there are plans for a non-portal version of the truck in the future (possibly some of the RTR variants).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:19 AM   #53

YES!!! The new Ascender! Preordered!

"But wait," you say, "it says Axial on the box." True, but remember that the Ascender's mother, Horizon Hobby, bought Axial a little while back and subsequently abandoned the Ascender. They then focused efforts on the Axial brand almost certainly for marketing benefits alone. Speaking of marketing, what in the hell were they thinking debuting this truck at 3AM EST?! I truly believe this is what the Ascender could have been and would have been had Horizon continued to develop it. This truck even has a frame very similar to the Ascender's. The chassis layout is also what the SCX10 II should have been IMO.

It's awesome to actually see a new SCX10. I assume this is a clean sheet design from Horizon so I expect good things. I'm anxious to build it.

I'm glad it has a dig. 2-speed is cool as well. The remote locking diffs from Traxxas are still cooler than any 2-speed though. Hopefully both the 2-speed and dig work reliably or they'll be useless and deal breakers to some.

Now my concerns or complaints:

-Hopefully this transmission is much better than the Capra transmission. That transmission binds up if you tighten all the screws. Smooth it is not. It also has high gearing, no room for changing spurs, and a crappy dig. The dig doesn't reliably engage and, even worse, you usually have to backup to get it to disengage. That makes the dig about useless.

-Are these the same wheels and tires as the Wraith 1.9? They look good, but I don't have high expectations for them. No biggie since they are kit tires.

-Engine cover is ok and would have been great a generation ago, but now it's kinda lame when you look at what SSD made.

-The elephant in the room - the Jeep body. This has portals and it would have been perfect for the Unimog body if they didn't already use it. This Jeep body looks good though and better quality than the Axial bodies of the past. But why are they obsessed with putting high COG bodies on the SCX10? Portals have it sitting high enough. Hopefully I can sell that.

That's my two cents and your mileage may vary. Subject to all claims in the Jato end user license agreement.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:22 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Purely speculation on my part, but it seems extremely unlikely that they'd revert back to that noodley crap after transitioning to the good stuff.
The SMT10 was re-released after the Capra with the same old noodley plastics.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
-Hopefully this transmission is much better than the Capra transmission. That transmission binds up if you tighten all the screws. Smooth it is not. It also has high gearing, no room for changing spurs,
Quick gear ratios math based on the manual says high gear out of the box is 31:1 so about what the Capra is while low gear is 45.6:1. If you change to the non-portal trans gears and install the smallest 11T pinion, low gear gets down to 98.7:1.

So high gearing won't be a problem for this one.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:43 AM   #56

svt is a prophet. You can call me one too because I've been saying for a while now that the SCX10 III was getting released this year! I thought it was going to be at Axialfest though so I guess the reception on my mind reading was spotting. Can you hear me now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
and no body clips? What kind of sorcery!!!!!
Good catch. I didn't notice that. Body clips FTW because they work. I wonder how this works.

Quote:
Bloody Jeep again, not too interested
I don't get the unhealthy obsession with Jeep either. Axial now has all of Horizon's brands at their disposable so there's Chevy and Ford too at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrigg View Post
Not overly impressed with the new battery location, shades of TRX-4 only sideways, but at least there is room for small packs on the sides. Aluminum shocks and steel links sound good.

A decent upgrade albeit a bit reactive. Wonder if the chassis geometry is improved.
Agreed on the battery location, but we're kinda running out out places to stick the battery.

Quote:
Easiest, but also an expensive upgrade. You're talking $50+ these days for most scale bodies. Give me the kit without the Jeep body and reduce the price by $30 and I'd be happier. Remove the wheels and tires and give me another $20 discount. That's being generous. This kit without body and wheels and tires at $319.99 sounds much better to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

They went through the effort to create separate portal and non-portal ratios for the transmission and included this in the manual. Clearly there are plans for a non-portal version of the truck in the future (possibly some of the RTR variants).

That is awesome forethough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
The SMT10 was re-released after the Capra with the same old noodley plastics.
The SMT10 is a straight re-release with the same, shitty all-plastic everything. This appears to be all new so it should have Horizon plastics.

Quote:
Quick gear ratios math based on the manual says high gear out of the box is 31:1 so about what the Capra is while low gear is 45.6:1. If you change to the non-portal trans gears and install the smallest 11T pinion, low gear gets down to 98.7:1.

So high gearing won't be a problem for this one.
Thanks for doing the math. You found a bunch of good info in the manual. I'll have to peruse it when I get a chance.

98.7:1 is much too low for me!

Does it have overdrive in the transmission?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-19-2020 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I have a few good sources.

Also, I learned our local shop will have an assembled demo unit tomorrow which I will be borrowing this weekend for a thorough inspection.

This platform seems to have a lot of potential. I think the market will adopt it with open arms.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Does it have overdrive in the transmission?
No OD in the transmission but Axial has their Capra OD axle gears and all the aftermarket OD portal gears for the Capra will work since all the portal parts are the same.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:16 AM   #59

Quote:
No OD in the transmission but Axial has their Capra OD axle gears and all the aftermarket OD portal gears for the Capra will work since all the portal parts are the same.
That's what I figured. It's not Axial's MO to put OD in the transmission so I didn't think they'd change now.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:35 AM   #60
I wanna be Dave

i would like to see that new offset front axle with out portals boxes and anything but the heep every brand outhere has somekind of lame heep body but other than the portals and the heep sitting on top it looks realy cool i cant wait to see.what come from this platform
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 III coming soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Yeah Racing SCX10 II Accessories RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-23-2019 03:25 PM
Coming soon the Reef's RC Products SCX10/SCX10 II Sliders! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2019 11:29 AM
Coming Soon the NEW SSD SCX10 II CVD Axle Shafts! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-30-2018 04:36 PM
Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? TFitzPat87 Axial SCX10 II 23 01-13-2017 11:46 PM
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM