Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10 III coming soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Default Re: SCX10 III coming soon?

MUCH BETTER! What we really wanted to see! Great changes, lots of bits to be used for future builds. Non portals on the way too? Awesome. Best way Axial has ever released something!
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2020, 11:11 AM   #82
I wanna be Dave

Patiently waiting for a "sport" without dig or portals on a new (2021) bronco body...
That's the only way i'd bite.

Or maybe just slap the new bronco body on my enduro and call it good lol

Last edited by Shinchu; 03-19-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #83
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Patiently waiting for a "sport" without dig or portals on a new (2021) bronco body...
Thays the only way i'd bite.

I like the way you think.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
Thays the only way i'd bite.
I'm not sure if there will be a version without the dig, since I think SBG's video mentioned that there are parts to omit the 2-speed and dig features included? (Kind of like how the SCX10.2 cherokee was initially built with a 2-speed capable transmission, but came with it in single speed mode)

Seems like definitely will be a version without portals though.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'm not sure if there will be a version without the dig, since I think SBG's video mentioned that there are parts to omit the 2-speed and dig features included?

Seems like definitely will be a version without portals though.
I agree.

If you look at the manual for the SCX10 III, it has the dig lockout spacer just like the Capra. That may be as simple as the transmission on this truck ever gets.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Toyota 4Runner or Mercedes G wagon would work for me.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:37 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

Aside from a few carry over "designs" (driveshafts) the chassis is all new and completely different from the SCX10 II. The beauty of working with a new vendor allows you to start fresh. There are items carried over from the Capra, but again those were all new parts at the new vendor.

The chassis rails while similar to the Vaterra rails are drastically different. Horizon Hobby held the patent on the 2 piece adjustable rail, so we were able to tap into that to create a 2 piece adjustable frame rail set. These rails allow for more up travel front and rear over the old SCX10 II rails using the portal axles. Even more with a straight axle.
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:43 AM   #88
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I agree.

If you look at the manual for the SCX10 III, it has the dig lockout spacer just like the Capra. That may be as simple as the transmission on this truck ever gets.

The text from axial very much seems to say:

"If you want dig, build it with dig. If not, don't"
"If you want it 2 speed, build it 2 speed. If not, don't"
Old 03-19-2020, 11:44 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
The text from axial very much seems to say:

"If you want dig, build it with dig. If not, don't"
"If you want it 2 speed, build it 2 speed. If not, don't"
And if they designed it that way - great! Options are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt.k View Post
Aside from a few carry over "designs" (driveshafts) the chassis is all new and completely different from the SCX10 II. The beauty of working with a new vendor allows you to start fresh. There are items carried over from the Capra, but again those were all new parts at the new vendor.

The chassis rails while similar to the Vaterra rails are drastically different. Horizon Hobby held the patent on the 2 piece adjustable rail, so we were able to tap into that to create a 2 piece adjustable frame rail set. These rails allow for more up travel front and rear over the old SCX10 II rails using the portal axles. Even more with a straight axle.
Didn't realize the frame was patented.

Good work on this truck. Can't wait to build mine. And I'm so happy it's an all-new design. That was needed IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:46 AM   #90
Sr. Product Developer

Hi Guys, figured i'd to a quick pop in over here. I'll try and address a couple of the questions and comments here:
1. A Jeep....yes. Though many of you hard core guys are tired of Jeeps, the Jeep has been Axials number one seller by far over any other types we've released in the past. Add to the fact that Jeep has been an awesome partner it was a no brainer for us. The good news for you haters is that we include an extra set of body mounts in various sizes and shapes so you can mount any non-Jeep body you want.

2. Materials: Built at the same factory as the Capra, the SCX10-III is using all the new materials. Fit and finish are far superior to our older models.
Builders tip: One thing i will note, when you build your SCX10-III, our shock towers are very stiff, I would highly suggest not using a power driver to thread the screws into these these towers. In fact i would suggest tapping them first. NOT that it can't be done but they are so stuff that its a good idea to do this first.

3. The Frame rails are not from an Ascender, however now that Axial is a brand of Horizon, we were able to take advantage of the Patent we have for that type of frame rails.

4. Non-Portal Axles: Yes at some point we will have non-portal axles. I don't have a time frame for release but yes we are working on them. It will require more changes than just swapping axles, thus the reason we mention the optional gear ratios

5. Why the midnight video launch? Frankly, our International partners tend to go live on their Thursday which is usually much earlier than our Thursday, so why not...thats the simple reason

6. There are currently no plans for a "Sport" model.

7. Overdrive: The Overdrive gears we offer for the Capra are drop ins on the SCX10 III

8. Two Speed: About 40% faster than first. If it was my total decision, I would not have included 2 speed but that's just me. Our dealers and "other" consumers think they gotta have 2 speeds and that's ok. On my personal rigs, i run the two speed locked out.

9. Manual errors like the Capra: Well, There might be a couple typos BUT nothing like I missed in the Capra manual. The main one to pay attention too is the Panhard bar mount. We have two different mounts, one for portals and one for Standard axles but as long as you open the bags in the proper order of assembly, you won't have any issues when you build it. Also, I recommend lots of grease on all the gears.

This project has been a blast to work on with Matt Kearney and the rest of our team that all had input.
I look forward to you guys that are getting one to build it. I'll try and get back here to answer some questions but work is swamped with more cool stuff coming out in the future

Rich

#WhoMadeJatoAMod LOL
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:52 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
4. Non-Portal Axles: Yes at some point we will have non-portal axles. I don't have a time frame for release but yes we are working on them. It will require more changes than just swapping axles, thus the reason we mention the optional gear ratios

This project has been a blast to work on with Matt Kearney and the rest of our team that all had input.
I look forward to you guys that are getting one to build it. I'll try and get back here to answer some questions but work is swamped with more cool stuff coming out in the future

Rich

Cool, thanks for dropping in Rich.

I'm happy to hear there will be a straight axle version. I'm interested to see what changes will be implemented to make that work well.

I'm looking forward to seeing "more cool stuff" as well.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #92
Gold Star Baby!

Lol thanks Rich! Well worded response, I especially liked the first point.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:57 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Rich, And yes mine is ordered.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:02 PM   #94
RCC Addict

This is going to be an expensive RC year for me.
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #95
Go Buckeyes!

Thanks for the details Rich!

After watching Matt’s video this morning, I am more excited than ever to buy another Axial Kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #96
Let me 3D Print that...

Rich and Matt,

This thing looks fantastic. From what I have seen so far, you guys really did a lot of great design work on the SCX10 III. I love the fact that you kept the AR45 portals the same width of the AR44 axles. The jeep looks great and all the details make a huge difference. The platform looks like a really big step forward that should serve Axial well for a while. I backordered one through Horizon today.
RexRacer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Looks like I need to buy another set of shelves now. N+1
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #98
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
Yesss N+1
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:07 PM   #99
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

Good point!

Mine are full too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 12:09 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
You and me both

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10 III coming soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Yeah Racing SCX10 II Accessories RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-23-2019 03:25 PM
Coming soon the Reef's RC Products SCX10/SCX10 II Sliders! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2019 11:29 AM
Coming Soon the NEW SSD SCX10 II CVD Axle Shafts! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-30-2018 04:36 PM
Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? TFitzPat87 Axial SCX10 II 23 01-13-2017 11:46 PM
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM