Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10 III coming soon?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #261

Default Re: SCX10 III coming soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I think they’re shipping from Illinois, if you ordered through horizon anyway, may not be too long of a wait
True! You made me double check my tracking number and now it's live. Shipping from Champaign, IL with scheduled delivery on Thursday, March 26th.

I love the new Axial release methodology thanks to Horizon. The actual release and shipping of product quickly follows the announcement.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2020, 02:39 PM   #262
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I love the new Axial release methodology thanks to Horizon. The actual release and shipping of product quickly follows the announcement.
Me too. I couldn't believe my eyes when like day after the announcement I saw that a big German store had them in stock already.

I almost missed out for overthinking if I should get one, got the last one of their stock Hope it gets here by friday, but I'm pretty sure I'll just have to wait for it to arrive on monday :/
Ambis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 03:20 PM   #263
Quarry Creeper

Just got my shipping notification. Coming out of Illinois, arriving in San Francisco on Saturday. Now I really need more shelf space!

Side note: Anyone want to buy a Jeep body? I don’t need or want a Jeep in the collection.

Last edited by turbodan13; 03-24-2020 at 03:23 PM.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #264
Rock Crawler

I stopped by Hobbytown for some paint and they had a display model. I hope this wasn't indicative of how they all are. The rockers were really thin and the body was nearly impossible to get back on. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I guess I'll see then.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #265
Rock Crawler

I appreciate all the excitement of a new release, especially when it’s a platform overhaul, or all-new platform. It’s neat to see a new SCX10, since my first scale truck was a gen 1 Deadbolt, followed by a SCX10 kit build. Under my current circumstances, however, I’ll probably hold off, as I don’t get out to do serious crawling as I used to, and my current fleet of tiny trucks are sufficient for trailing around my backyard. I’m unable to do any real tooling on my rigs, due to lack of space, but I am able to work outdoors, so I’ve been clearing a section of my woods, which is actually more rewarding(to me) than working on an RC.
I think I’d like to see what other 10.3 iterations they come out with, as I’m one of those who are not excited with another 4-dr Jeep body.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:47 PM   #266
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
I stopped by Hobbytown for some paint and they had a display model. I hope this wasn't indicative of how they all are. The rockers were really thin and the body was nearly impossible to get back on. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I guess I'll see then.
Not sure what you mean about the rockers being thin...could you help me understand a bit more.

As for mounting the body...yup it takes a bit of work. The mounts for the molded fender flares need to be pulled around the fender liners. It was the only want to keep them sealed good. You can trim your fender liners if you want. For me the trick has been to pull the front fenders a little outwards and pull them over the liners, then do the same with the rear and it should line up pretty good. The only thing i personally don't totally like BUT they really work like they should is the plastic "guides" to keep the doors from popping into the chassis. They actually do their job pretty good but you do have to line them up.

Kinda give in take to hide body clips and have fender lines and "scale" details.

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 PM   #267
RCC Addict

So yeah, I ordered one today, it's the first Axial I've gotten excited about in a long time lol, I'm still tinkering with two OG SCX's, never went with the SCX10.2 because of the plastics, I'm looking forward to this, looks impressive.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:52 PM   #268
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Not sure what you mean about the rockers being thin...could you help me understand a bit more.
The lexan from the lower third of the doors to the bottom of the body felt really flimsy. Both sides also bent inward making it difficult to get the body captured in the sliders.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:09 PM   #269
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_78 View Post
I was debating between TRX4 regular or sport for my first RC and then this came along and I'm all in.

Can anyone help me out with a list of budget parts to complete this kit? I'm not looking for the cheapest necessarily, but best bang for the buck range would be great.

I have nothing right now so I'll be starting completely from scratch.

Thanks in advance!

Since you are starting from scratch, don't get caught up in the excitement just yet because this is a NEW release that the general membership has not yet had a chance to build. Also, outside of deciding on electronics, as of today, there are no aftermarket parts currently on the market. If I were you I would stick with the TRX4 for your first crawler and give the aftermarket for the SCX10 iii time to develop.

Last edited by Inspector86; 03-24-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM   #270
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
The lexan from the lower third of the doors to the bottom of the body felt really flimsy. Both sides also bent inward making it difficult to get the body captured in the sliders.
Gotcha...not much we can do about that. Pulling that lexan over such a tall body tool it's bound to get a bit thinner towards the bottom. Good news is that i have not ripped any bodies in testing and it's held up fine.... (now someone will find a way to rip one LOL)

Rich
Old 03-24-2020, 10:34 PM   #271
RCC Addict

Side by side comparison

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #272

Did the stock tires get that much larger or is the perspective not matching from side to side?

EDIT: I guess they are larger.

From the SCX10 III product page: "The R35 compound Nitto Trail Grappler tires included with the SCX10™ III Jeep® JL Wrangler kit are taller and wider (4.74 x 1.7)." But when you go to the product page for the SCX10 II Deadbolt it says the Nitto Trail Grappler tires are S30 compound and 4.7" x 1.9. One of those width dimensions must be incorrect because 1.7" isn't wider than 1.9" unless they are talking wheel diameter and not tire width on the Deadbolt page.

I didn't watch all of Harley's live build last night, but Rich was there for most of the time when I was watching and he gave a lot of good answers.

Can't go larger on the spur. 11T is the smallest pinion you can use with the stock spur. Also, you can use the non portal transmission gears with the portals to get lower, overall gearing.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-25-2020 at 06:22 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:58 AM   #273
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Did the stock tires get that much larger or is the perspective not matching from side to side?

EDIT: I guess they are larger.
I'm pretty certain it's the perspective, and not then being larger. I'm not saying they're not larger...honestly, I don't know if they're larger, or smaller...but, if you zoom in on the 'comparison' photo, you should immediately notice something "peculiar" about the steering linkage - in the photo, the steering linkage on the SCX10.3 appears to be twice as thick (in diameter) as the steering linkage of the SCX10.2.

I think it's highly unlikely that the linkage is twice the diameter, which can only mean that the perspective is NOT matching. In other words, either the SCX10.3 half of the photo IS closer to the camera, or the SCX10.3 half was slightly "zoomed in". With way, it is not a true side-by-side comparison. Sorry, Rich, but, unless the steering linkage is truly twice the diameter (and, if I'm wrong, I apologize), I've got to call out the "marketing hype" on that photo.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:19 AM   #274
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A little taller and much wider, the old Nittos were 4.7x1.5 while the new tires are much closer in size to Proline's XL 1.9 tires. The old Axial tires were skinny and noticeably shorter than XL Swampers, Hyrax, Rock Beast XLs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I think it's highly unlikely that the linkage is twice the diameter, which can only mean that the perspective is NOT matching. In other words, either the SCX10.3 half of the photo IS closer to the camera, or the SCX10.3 half was slightly "zoomed in". With way, it is not a true side-by-side comparison. Sorry, Rich, but, unless the steering linkage is truly twice the diameter (and, if I'm wrong, I apologize), I've got to call out the "marketing hype" on that photo.
The old links were 4 mm in diameter, the new ones are 6 mm. Not quite double the diameter but close.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:24 AM   #275
I wanna be Dave

Stop being “photo analytics” if that’s not your occupation. As someone whose background is, look at the tie rod diameter and then the drag link..... same diameter. Also the bumpers don’t line up. Purpose is to show ground clearance differences

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:42 AM   #276
Rock Crawler

This video gives a good comparison of the new vs old tires. Also there is a comparison of the new tires to the popular Proline Hyrax.

rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 07:52 AM   #277
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Stop being “photo analytics” if that’s not your occupation. As someone whose background is, look at the tie rod diameter and then the drag link..... same diameter. Also the bumpers don’t line up. Purpose is to show ground clearance differences

Hang up and Drive
Not that you would have known, but my degree IS in photography.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 08:13 AM   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
A little taller and much wider, the old Nittos were 4.7x1.5 while the new tires are much closer in size to Proline's XL 1.9 tires. The old Axial tires were skinny and noticeably shorter than XL Swampers, Hyrax, Rock Beast XLs, etc.

The old links were 4 mm in diameter, the new ones are 6 mm. Not quite double the diameter but close.
Thanks! The old ones kinda look better to my eye, but I haven't seen the new nor the old tires in person yet.

6mm links should beef it up a lot, but thinner links look much better for scaleness. 6mm/.25" seems to be the new standard though.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM   #279
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Not that you would have known, but my degree IS in photography.

Then WE both know a picture doesn’t lie, but WE can fool most!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:07 PM   #280
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
I'm pretty certain it's the perspective, and not then being larger. I'm not saying they're not larger...honestly, I don't know if they're larger, or smaller...but, if you zoom in on the 'comparison' photo, you should immediately notice something "peculiar" about the steering linkage - in the photo, the steering linkage on the SCX10.3 appears to be twice as thick (in diameter) as the steering linkage of the SCX10.2.

Here is a couple shots i took from my desk (when we were in the office lol)

Rich

SCX10 III coming soon? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COMING SOON the NEW Yeah Racing SCX10 II Accessories RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-23-2019 03:25 PM
Coming soon the Reef's RC Products SCX10/SCX10 II Sliders! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 01-18-2019 11:29 AM
Coming Soon the NEW SSD SCX10 II CVD Axle Shafts! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 10-30-2018 04:36 PM
Post up! Any new upgrades coming for SCX10.2? TFitzPat87 Axial SCX10 II 23 01-13-2017 11:46 PM
SCX10 Noise coming from the axle UNDEAD_DC Axial SCX-10 7 03-01-2014 05:08 PM