Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
Sr. Product Developer

Default SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

EDIT 4/6/20: The instruction manual has been updated for typos. None of the views have changed but typos and part numbers have been fixed...I hope LOL...I can look at these 100 times, think i got it and then find more after.

AXI03007 Updated Manual 4/6/20

I'm sure someone will let me know :-)

Hi all,

I thought i would share some built tips and notes for your SCX10-III build. Hopefully you will find these handy and I would appreciate you guys sharing these as much as possible.

Thanks,
Rich

Step A-3: Do not over tighten the portal cap screws. Its very easy using a power driver to overtighten these and crack the covers. Also note, the covers are numbered "1" and "2". They are different and specific to the axles. "1" are for the front axle, "2" are for the rear.

Step B-1: Add a drop of oil to the o-rings before you install the cap. This helps to keep the threads from tearing the o-rings.

Step B-1 Springs: Green marked springs for the front, Red for the rear (I forgot to add this info to the manual)

Step C-1: You only need to install the spacer if you plan to NOT use 2-speed. If you install the spacer inside the trans, you will be in low gear, pull the shifter out and install it on the outside and you will be locked in "high" speed.

Step C-2: The manual view is a little tough to make out exactly where each screw goes, i've added an image to help show their location.

Step C-5: Add a little drop of CA or other glue to help hold the M3 nut in the plastic mount. It's not usually an issue but they could pop out. Also, note to install the Right (Passenger) transmission mount first before installing the lower cover.

Step E-1: Typo. Two short "1" shafts should be used on the front.

Step F-2: Just showing a clearer picture for location of the shorter screws.

Step F-3: I Highly suggest tapping the holes on the tower to mount the panhard mount and the hole for the panhard bar link mount. DO NOT USE A POWER DRIVER as it you could strip these holes. Take your time getting these threaded. Our shock tower material is very stiff.

Step F-3 (2): Depending on your servo, you may need to trim the base as pictured to clear the face of some servos. Its very minor but double check when you screw your servo down that it is flush and sitting level/perpendicular to the shock tower.

Step F-9:Again I suggest Pre-tapping the holes with a 3mm tap. Also note, the Drivers side Left front shock uses a smaller 18mm screw to hold the shock to the tower. If you use a longer one, you will start screwing into the side of your servo case.

Step F-10: Again, I suggest Pre-tapping the holes with a 3mm tap and NOT use a power driver.

Step H-2: Again I suggest Pre-tapping the top holes for the brace. Also, when installing the motor cover, hand tighten these as it is easy to over tighten and break the cover if you has a power driver.

Step J-5: Typo here, the screws should be M3 x 12mm and not M2.5 x 12 as noted in the manual. The hardware in the parts bag is correct.

Last edited by Rich Trujillo; 04-06-2020 at 03:42 PM.
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Sr. Product Developer

Default Re: SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)

Reserving this spot for additional posts and updates if needed.

Rich
Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

This reminds me fondly of a similar post you made years ago that was equally as helpful when I was building a first batch Ascender.

You might sucker me into building one of these as well...
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Thanks for this. I'm getting antsy.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Rich, some great info here.
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
This reminds me fondly of a similar post you made years ago that was equally as helpful when I was building a first batch Ascender.

You might sucker me into building one of these as well...
I see this truck as being the baby of Axial and Horizon or the SCX10 and the Ascender. All the research and things they've learned over the years, with both trucks, were combined into one truck that is hopefully awesome. It's certainly not going to be the same old Axial.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I see this truck as being the baby of Axial and Horizon or the SCX10 and the Ascender. All the research and things they've learned over the years, with both trucks, were combined into one truck that is hopefully awesome. It's certainly not going to be the same old Axial.
I’m noticing that the random little extras that came on the parts trees isn’t a thing with the Capra/SCX-10 iii. I guess that’s partly due to no parts trees in these new kits.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbart View Post
I’m noticing that the random little extras that came on the parts trees isn’t a thing with the Capra/SCX-10 iii. I guess that’s partly due to no parts trees in these new kits.
I would assume so. But I will 100% take loose parts over extras on trees. Not having to cut parts from sprues makes builds more enjoyable to me.

EDIT: To reiterate what soze said below, thank you for the live addendum to the manual, Rich. And thanks for doing it on this forum.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-24-2020 at 09:54 AM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Rich! This is definitely a great thing to see with a new release. I appreciate the time/effort put into making sure we build up our trucks right!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:05 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Having a company own-up to its 'mistakes' is one thing (don't take what I said wrong, as I meant it in a "positive" way)...but a company that not only owns-up to its mistakes, but also provided corrections as quickly as possible is even better.

Looks like Horizon Hobby as fully entrenched Axial into the Horizon Hobby family, all the way down to the best customer service. Great job Horizon Hobby, great job Axial, and great job Rich...keep up the excellent work.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks for posting up all this info. Should help the build go more smoothly. We really appreciate having you as apart of the community here! Now I just need to find a 3mm tap.
FordSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

is the tap we need 3mm x 50 or 3mm x 60
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM   #13
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
is the tap we need 3mm x 50 or 3mm x 60
M3 x .5 Metric Tap

Rich
Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Did I read that correctly, the front and rear portal covers are different? That means the aftermarket will have to sell a front and rear specific portal weight when the time comes. Not a deal breaker but it could cause potential installation problems. Also, it looks like the portal covers are attached with only four screws?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:06 PM   #15
Sr. Product Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Did I read that correctly, the front and rear portal covers are different? That means the aftermarket will have to sell a front and rear specific portal weight when the time comes. Not a deal breaker but it could cause potential installation problems. Also, it looks like the portal covers are attached with only four screws?
They are the same caps as used on the Capra... and only slightly different. you could trim the boss off the #1 and use it in place of the #2.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks, Rich! I just ordered mine from RPP (couldn't believe they actually had them in stock!) so this post will no doubt be most helpful and much appreciated I love to see this kind of front-loaded support .

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I had that exact thought when I started reading!! Spot on
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:42 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
They are the same caps as used on the Capra... and only slightly different. you could trim the boss off the #1 and use it in place of the #2.
Just curious, but...how can they be "the same", and, at the same time, be "slightly different"?

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 03:30 AM   #18

Here in the german "rockcrawler.de" forum we now have the first building-thread for the SCX10 III.
I will get my Kit in a few hours - its still in the DHL delivery truck.

So we all here appreciate the tips of Rich Trujillo and would like to thank you for your excellent support.

Last edited by rbspeed; 03-25-2020 at 07:11 AM.
rbspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Step B-1 Springs: Green marked springs for the front, Red for the rear (I forgot to add this info to the manual)

I was going to suggest adding this but Rich is already on top of things.

Our demo model had some serious carolina squat going on so we assumed the springs were installed on the wrong ends, went to check the manual and there was no mention of which springs go on which end. It was ultimately found way in the back under the exploded views and sure enough the springs were backwards.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:08 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Hi,
did I miss the link to the manual?
If yes, sorry.
If no, here you go:

SCX10 III Jeep JL Wrangler Kit Manual - Multilingual

SCX10 III Jeep JL Wrangler Kit Parts List and Exploded View - Multilingual

Walter
donaldsneffe is offline   Reply With Quote

SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Class III scx build falcon32 2.2 Scale Rigs 3 10-10-2016 06:33 PM
first scx10 build looking for tips Crawlerdjc Axial SCX-10 0 03-12-2011 09:03 PM
build tips and setup tips iwantoffroad Tamiya CR-01 7 12-04-2008 06:20 PM