Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Topher Builds a SCX10.3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 11:03 AM   #1
Gold Star Baby!

Default Topher Builds a SCX10.3

Sometimes there’s a silver lining to being stuck inside, and when one of the most anticipated RC releases coincides with being proverbially grounded, things don’t seem all that bad.

So I got to wrenching and wanted to share some updates with you all here.

At this point I’ve completed the axles, shocks, transmission, and links. I’m working on getting the chassis going and shooting to have a roller before the end of the day, maybe some paint too.

For this one I’m running the TGH overdrive portal gears, which run a pretty aggressive OD at over 30%. I also robbed the vitavon brass portal covers out of the Capra and will be using them here.

The build so far has gone smooth, nothing too out of the ordinary of note, the updates Rich provided were definitely helpful. The quality of the materials is great, same good stuff as the Capra. I didn’t take any pictures of the motor mount loose, but I liked it. Metal, beefy, and the position markings were easy to read and use. The little nuts for the motor mount didn’t give me any trouble to install but would be easy to overlook, these are part AX1040 and go on before the lower plate attaches to the transmission. Rich suggests a dab of CA glue to hold them in place if you have issues (I did not).

For anyone looking for the optional gear set for straight axles, it’s available on the axial site already Axial Racing - Input Metal Gears 27T, 20T & 34T: SCX10III

Should have some more to share later today.
Attached Images

Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Topher Builds a SCX10.3

Sweet! I hope to get started soon too! Man, I haven't even put up my SSD TK build up yet!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM   #3

Started building mine last night. One thing I noticed is that the gear mesh in the front axle seems good only if you apply tension to the end of the shaft where the driveline would connect. Curious if anyone else noticed this?
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #4
Gold Star Baby!

Only a little bit of progress so far but wanted to share this pic of the skid, as you can see it’s a bit different since the link mounts bolt on to the skid. There are also 3 positions on each mount. I’m starting with what’s recommended in the directions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
Started building mine last night. One thing I noticed is that the gear mesh in the front axle seems good only if you apply tension to the end of the shaft where the driveline would connect. Curious if anyone else noticed this?
If I understand what you’re describing, that’s not uncommon and adding some shims there at the end of the drive shaft will help get the right mesh consistently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Sweet! I hope to get started soon too! Man, I haven't even put up my SSD TK build up yet!
So many tiny trucks right now! Post it up eh?
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2020, 04:13 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Only a little bit of progress so far but wanted to share this pic of the skid, as you can see it’s a bit different since the link mounts bolt on to the skid. There are also 3 positions on each mount. I’m starting with what’s recommended in the directions.

If I understand what you’re describing, that’s not uncommon and adding some shims there at the end of the drive shaft will help get the right mesh consistently.

That tranny and transfer setup looks hawt!

Very nice that Axial made the rear upper link mounts bolt to the skid and with multiple link mount holes!

Yes, shim the pinion gear shaft on the outside to keep it from sucking into the ring gear and binding.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

We got a slider! I forgot I won’t have paint and tires till tomorrow, so for tonight I’ll just button up the rest of the chassis details and get the boys prepped.

Running the springs backwards from the manual, as I wanted the more firm springs in the rear.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Awesome! Just got word and mine should be on it's way to me tomorrow.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Sweet build
1beatjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
We got a slider!

Running the springs backwards from the manual, as I wanted the more firm springs in the rear.
You work fast! Truck looks great, those shock towers are beefy!

Interesting you say that about the springs, the TRX4 Sport kit is the same way. Rear springs are much softer. Not sure if that has to do with the weight balance on the chassis or what.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Looks good. I see you used the Vitavon brass portal covers from the Capra...smart move.

I have some questions I'm hoping you can answer. I'm trying to figure out some things related to possible wheelbase lengths, but, so far, have been unable to get any useful info. As I understand it (I'm looking at the manual, since I don't have an SCX10.3), the rear rails are "sandwiched" between the front rails & skid. Based on the manual, the rear rails appear to have 10 holes, with the screws being set 4 holes apart (ie. holes 1 & 5, or 3 & 7, etc).

For the 12.3" (313mm) wheelbase, are the screws inserted through holes 1 & 5, exactly as shown in the manual? If so, I'm guessing this means the wheelbase can be shortened, but not lengthened? On the other hand, if the 12.3" wheelbase isn't created by inserting the screws through holes 1 & 5, be which holes actually create the 12.3" wheelbase? Lastly, from center-to-center, how far apart are each of the 10 holes on the rear rails.

Essentially, I'm still considering that 329mm wheelbase project I mentioned a couple months ago, and the SCX10.3 is a new possibility for that project...I just need to determine how viable this new possibility might be. Depending on the distance between each of those 10 holes, that will help me make that detention. The SCX10.3 could either become my #1 possibility...or, it could be eliminated completely.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #11
Gold Star Baby!

Got a little bit more work done and it’s just about ready for paint and finishing touches. Waiting on the paint in the mail, as well as the tires which I’ll hopefully have sometime tomorrow afternoon.

Here are a couple pics with the body mocked up and the chassis buttoned up. I like how the sliders capture the body and add nice scale detail. The motor cover is nice and installs easily and sturdily. The grill being precut out is something to be thankful for, that would have been tough to cut clean by hand. I’m excited to get this one painted and dressed up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
You work fast! Truck looks great, those shock towers are beefy!

Interesting you say that about the springs, the TRX4 Sport kit is the same way. Rear springs are much softer. Not sure if that has to do with the weight balance on the chassis or what.
The front of this one is heavier by a good bit because of the motor placement, not unlike the trx4. Im sure that has something to do with it. I had to crank down the shock collars a good bit to get the droop I wanted up front and may have to consider a different spring once the body is on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Essentially, I'm still considering that 329mm wheelbase project I mentioned a couple months ago, and the SCX10.3 is a new possibility for that project...I just need to determine how viable this new possibility might be. Depending on the distance between each of those 10 holes, that will help me make that detention. The SCX10.3 could either become my #1 possibility...or, it could be eliminated completely.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Since it’s already together I can’t get to the holes to make any measurements. But I think you’re right that it appears to be designed to be made shorter and not longer, although you could drill some new holes and consider moving the skid around to get by that. With the arch on the rear of this chassis you will want to be mindful of how it lines up with the rear axle so I’m not sure if this is the best bet for that. Something like the TRX rails would be good since they are long and go straight back with clearance the whole way.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 01:27 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Damn, you work fast. I don't know how you find the time. Great job though!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:04 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ok...created separate thread. No worries.

Last edited by Panther6834; 03-27-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:26 AM   #14
Gold Star Baby!

Sorry Panther, that’s all quite a bit off topic from this specific build here and not really looking to dive into the possibilities of your build in this thread. Please start your own thread for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Damn, you work fast. I don't know how you find the time. Great job though!
Thanks Soze! It wasn’t too bad a of a build overall, everything went together smoothly. I have a 2nd one here I was going to do a straight axle swap on, but after mocking it up on this first build I’m going to hold off. Even so, it’s been a challenge to not start opening and building things in the 2nd kit.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:32 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Looking good, man! Can't wait to get started on mine next week. I guess you didn't have an e-clip leftover after the tranny was together?

Wanna tease on the paint color, or is it going to be a surprise?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 08:42 AM   #16
Gold Star Baby!

I didn’t have any E clips left over. IIRC I used 3 big ones and then the 2 small ones on the dig and shift levers. What size did you have left over and are using both the 2 speed and dig?

Paint is going to be simple on this one and I’m thinking orange, but also have some gun metal coming too.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:49 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
I didn’t have any E clips left over. IIRC I used 3 big ones and then the 2 small ones on the dig and shift levers. What size did you have left over and are using both the 2 speed and dig?
I don't have mine yet...GA Dawg apparently had a "spare" after building the tranny, so just a topical joke.

Quote:
Paint is going to be simple on this one and I’m thinking orange, but also have some gun metal coming too.
I put my orange BOM up against the gun metal part on my TRX-4...I can see that!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:14 AM   #18
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I don't have mine yet...GA Dawg apparently had a "spare" after building the tranny, so just a topical joke.

I put my orange BOM up against the gun metal part on my TRX-4...I can see that!
Lol. You made me nervous that I should have had a spare because I remember seeing his comment.

I’m not sure if it will be all orange (and black) or all gun metal (and black) or a bit of each, we’ll see how it goes when I start taping.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #19
Go Buckeyes!

Sweet build!

I like the colors you are hinting at!

Being on lock down and stuck inside really is quite nice since we have R/C as a hobby. I don't mind it a bit!

Subscribed!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Oh Mr Topher moderator extraordinaire Sir......can I ask a favor?

Could you please take a look at Tamiya's palette and see which red may most closely match the red accents on the Rubicon and Jeep badge stickers from the kit? I want to order paint but I can't get a good read on colors from the box art.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/produ...y/kit86001.htm

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Topher Builds a SCX10.3 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
topher builds a TRX10.2 Topher Builds Traxxas TRX-4 60 01-05-2021 07:59 PM
topher builds a Capra Topher Builds Axial Capra 100 03-16-2020 08:03 AM