Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Jato the SCX10 Take III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #61
Gold Star Baby!

Default Re: Jato the SCX10 Take III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Yep, that's one of the options I found. It doesn't seem available in the US so I'm guessing it's some environmental nonsense. Have you used this one yourself?
I have not but a local out here has and it has worked great for him.

Just ordered some off eBay to have in the future but might take till May to get here.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2020, 11:13 AM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep, that's one of the options I found. It doesn't seem available in the US so I'm guessing it's some environmental nonsense. Have you used this one yourself?
That works great. You can buy it off eBay.

I cleared out my Redcat Gen8 windows with it.

Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

As far as applying the window tint decals... you need to treat it light car tint in order to apply with proper alignment and no bubbles.
Use light soapwater on the area you want to apply to. Then place decal and let it slide into position. Then start squeegee'ing the bubbles out.

Last edited by soze; 04-09-2020 at 11:19 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I have not but a local out here has and it has worked great for him.

Just ordered some off eBay to have in the future but might take till May to get here.
Thanks for the feedback! I may order some as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
That works great. You can buy it off eBay.

I cleared out my Redcat Gen8 windows with it.

Soze adds a RedCat to the fleet - Gen8 Scout II

As far as applying the window tint decals... you need to treat it light car tint in order to apply with proper alignment and no bubbles.
Use light soapwater on the area you want to apply to. Then place decal and let it slide into position. Then start squeegee'ing the bubbles out.
Awesome, soze! Thanks for the input. I'm glad to know it works well.

I'll have to try the soap water method. I've never tried that with adhesive decals. Thank you.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:04 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'll have to try the soap water method. I've never tried that with adhesive decals. Thank you.
Once you do you'll never slap a decal onto a dry body again.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:05 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Watch me hijack this thread even further by asking how to start window masks so they don't come out perfectly aligned at one end and with a big gap at the other... I'm at that point.

I'm going to try the waterslide trick too I think...worked on my 1:1 car graphics, so who know...?
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Once you do you'll never slap a decal onto a dry body again.
You're probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Watch me hijack this thread even further by asking how to start window masks so they don't come out perfectly aligned at one end and with a big gap at the other... I'm at that point.

I'm going to try the waterslide trick too I think...worked on my 1:1 car graphics, so who know...?
It's not easy getting the masks centered and/or square to the window. What I do is cut the mask off of the sheet leaving around a 1/8" border of the backer around the entire mask. Then I decide which side I want to stick first, typically I do short sides because it's easier, but choosing long sides makes it easier to align, and then I peel back about 1/2" of the backing paper. I stick that "free" side on the window and then slowly peel the backer away as I depress the mask onto the window. I hope that rambling makes sense for you.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:15 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Quote:
It's not easy getting the masks centered and/or square to the window. What I do is cut the mask off of the sheet leaving around a 1/8" border of the backer around the entire mask. Then I decide which side I want to stick first, typically I do short sides because it's easier, but choosing long sides makes it easier to align, and then I peel back about 1/2" of the backing paper. I stick that "free" side on the window and then slowly peel the backer away as I depress the mask onto the window. I hope that rambling makes sense for you.
Nice! I'm going to try that tonight...thanks!

I'm still looking for a 1/10 scale credit card to squeeze air bubbles out of the window stickers with....
Old 04-09-2020, 02:17 PM   #68
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm still looking for a 1/10 scale credit card to squeeze air bubbles out of the window stickers with....
Spray the windows down with soapy water first. You can squeeze the bubbles out with your finger and a paper towel.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #69
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Nice! I'm going to try that tonight...thanks!

Quote:
Spray the windows down with soapy water first. You can squeeze the bubbles out with your finger and a paper towel.
I guess he'll need a 1/10 scale paper towel?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 02:23 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Quote:
You're no fun. Where's your sense of the scale experience?

Quote:
Nope...couldn't find any now!!

Last edited by 2mtech; 04-09-2020 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

I guess that went over my head. The way the windows are set into the body, you can't use a credit card to get the bubbles out from under the decals.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #72
RCC Addict

Quote:
I guess that went over my head. The way the windows are set into the body, you can't use a credit card to get the bubbles out from under the decals.
That's why it would have to be 1/10 scale! I haven't had good luck using fingers on such things, too much give on flesh. May have to raid the GF's makeup stash for those tapered wooden skewer things again, whatever they use those for...?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #73

Quote:
A 1/10th credit card should do! The inset windows are nice. It gives the body depth and some realism.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:42 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Quote:
You're no fun. Where's your sense of the scale experience?

Nope...couldn't find any now!!

OK that had me seriously laugh out loud. First with the scale paper towel and then the veiled reference to the AHOLE hoarders that keep clearing the shelves of paper towels / toilet paper / etc.....

I live in the North East and TP is getting low in the house with no leaves on the trees for backup!!!!
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:14 PM   #75
RCC Addict

Quote:
Holy shit, but this is the Tip of the Week! That worked so perfectly I wish I had known or thought about doing that about 10 kits ago. Spot on, my friend!
Old 04-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #76

Quote:
Holy shit, but this is the Tip of the Week! That worked so perfectly I wish I had known or thought about doing that about 10 kits ago. Spot on, my friend!
I wish it worked that well for me! LOL I still sometimes struggle to get masks on correctly. But I am glad it worked for you. I'm happy to help.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:56 PM   #77
RCC Addict

Quote:
I wish it worked that well for me! LOL I still sometimes struggle to get masks on correctly. But I am glad it worked for you. I'm happy to help.
Wow, that "View First Unread" widget am not my friend...I missed all your build updates from yesterday. You caught right up!

How you were able to get the motor and servo wires up front stuffed behind and under the motor cover and belt & pulley assembly is beyond me, but good on ya!

And yes, I may never fear window masks again...at least until the next build.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:24 PM   #78

Quote:
Wow, that "View First Unread" widget am not my friend...I missed all your build updates from yesterday. You caught right up!

How you were able to get the motor and servo wires up front stuffed behind and under the motor cover and belt & pulley assembly is beyond me, but good on ya!

And yes, I may never fear window masks again...at least until the next build.
I didn't have a problem fitting the wires in there. There's a decent amount of room between the motor and the faux engine. It's probably tight with a 550, but a 540 leaves you room.

Haha.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #79

I'm excited to get this body finished. It is so nice...just excellent. It's easily one of the best Lexan bodies in terms of scale details. And it just looks darn good. Everything is pre-cut and pre-drilled which is so nice! When are the aftermarket bodies going to start offering this on the majority of their bodies.

The gun metal is a little too dark, but I think the light gun metal would have looked to much like silver. Maybe I should have backed this with gold and then black instead of just black. Oh well, I still like it.

If I'm honest I'd say I think the TrXuS tires may be a little too small for this body.

Look at that front end! It's one of the best looking ones out there. The precut grille is excellent. Can you imagine having to cut that out?! Rich said on Harley/SBG's live stream last night that he did have to hand cut those out on some of the prototype models. Ugh! The radiator behind the grille, that includes the chrome plated headlight bucks, just looks so good. I'm a big fan of this body despite the fact that it's a Jeep. I don't hate Jeeps like some people think. And this one does the 1:1's justice. I reached out to Rich and told him how good of a job they did with this body. This body and the Blazer/Bronco from Traxxas have raised the bar so high. Time for other companies, especially the aftermarket body companies, to step up.

One of the idiot windows.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:06 PM   #80
RCC Addict

Definitely agree this is an awesome body. My GF was just now tripping on all the accessories that came with it. She wanted to know why I wasn't going to do the big WRANGLER graphic I had planned...I showed her the body and asked her where it would go!

Tags
axial, bxr, crawlmaster, holmes hobbies, horizon, horizon hobby, jato, jatotheripper, jeep, scx10, scx10 3, scx10 iii, scx103, scx10iii, tekin

Jato the SCX10 Take III - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III crawlerjunkie Traxxas TRX-4 53 09-24-2020 08:51 AM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Jato Bumped His Head - SCX10 II Edition JatoTheRipper Axial SCX10 II 219 05-30-2018 11:59 AM