Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Jato the SCX10 Take III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato the SCX10 Take III

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to run the TrXuS yet. I'm still annoyed that they don't offer them in Predator compound yet. I think it would do very well for this tire. G8 is still very good, but it's certainly stiffer than Predator. These tires have a tight tread pattern which makes them less compliant to begin with. I think the added flexibility of the Predator would help. I also think the tight tread pattern will get clogged up easily and often by wet sand, gravel or mud which is a common hazard around here. These are all assumptions though.

I love the size though and that's why I got them. Like you, I'm a big fan of this tire size and wish they would make more tires in this 4.4" to 4.6" range especially with this narrower and more realistic look width like the TrXuS.

Yep!

I prefer the G8 compound for all the reasons you just mentioned, the tires maintain shape better, don't wear away like a pencil eraser, good traction (soak tires in Simple Green/water mix for couple days before assembly), etc.

Yes loving the not so giant sizes and more realistic tread patterns!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-2020, 09:55 AM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yep!

I prefer the G8 compound for all the reasons you just mentioned, the tires maintain shape better, don't wear away like a pencil eraser, good traction (soak tires in Simple Green/water mix for couple days before assembly), etc.

Yes loving the not so giant sizes and more realistic tread patterns!

I've never tried soaking crawling tires in Simple Green - only racing tires. How much do you dilute the Simple Green?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 10:04 AM   #103
Rock Crawler

From Natedog a few years ago, not sure if it is still applicable.

Quote:
This is what I do, but I use as hot a water as comes out of the fawcet after letting it run to get hot, then pour about a cup of Simple Green per gallon of water, soak a day and then scrub with teflon safe pad, rinse with plain water, dry and mount with Crawler Innovations foams.

Quote:
Sorry, I haven't had a chance to run the TrXuS yet.
How close are you to going out and making a run?
I am pretty curious your on thoughts regarding the motor/esc combo once you get a chance to wheel it.

Last edited by AK KRAWLER; 04-18-2020 at 12:34 PM.
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post

I am pretty curious your on thoughts regarding the motor/esc combo once you get a chance to wheel it.
Thanks for the info from Natedog.

I'm only as close to running as the Coronavirus will let me. We're on lockdown in PA. I haven't left the house in 3 weeks.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post

Thank you, good find!

Quote:
Thanks for the info from Natedog.

I'm only as close to running as the Coronavirus will let me. We're on lockdown in PA. I haven't left the house in 3 weeks.

Get r built and run yer stump in the yard!
Old 04-20-2020, 12:05 PM   #106

Because of the COVID-19 quarintine, weekends have become dedicated almost exclusively to relaxing or RC building.

This was an RC weekend. This kit only needs more painting so I'm sure some of you can guess what I was working on. For the rest of you, we've given up hope.

Nothing makes me shake in my slippers more than painting, especially when it's detail stuff that requires a steady hand such the driver head.

The whites of the eyes got pretty good. I impressed myself here. I was tempted to leave the possessed, demon eyes like this, but I continued on.

Eyes and hair added. His hair color turned out to be similar than mine which was a nice bonus. "The one eye is a little jacked" as my girlfriend put it, but this is up close. Zoomed out the driver looks pretty good for my lack of skill level so I'm happy with how this turned out. Of course, when looking at this photo I realized he was missing eyebrows so those were added later - with a toothpick. I should have painted his lips, but I didn't want to push my luck too far.

I decided to use the cowboy hat. Personally, I hate hats so I never wear them unless it's winter and I plan on spending time outside. In that case I a wear a beanie. Why the cowboy hat? Because it reminds me of the old school, Tamiya driver figures for some reason.

The flesh and cowboy hat were painted with flat paint. The rest of the interior was coated with Tamiya Flat Clear to dull it a bit. A great tip from a number of members on here. After painting the driver's shirt white and blue it reminded me of Fred from Scooby-Doo and I can't unsee it. Oh well.

OK enough babbling about the driver. Now onto the interior. The lazy half of me wanted to spray it black and be done with it. But I knew an all black interior inside a dark gun metal and black Jeep just would look pretty bad. So I decided to mask it off and hit some of it with Duratrax Bright Red. Masking this interior, like most others, is so tedious. I know painters charge a lot of money, but they earn it. I'll happily pay to avoid this part.

There are definitely lots of flaws with the interior, but you'll never see them once it is installed in the body.

I was going to leave the seats all red, but it just looked like too much so I gave in and applied the seat decals. I'm happy with the way it looks.

I thought about paining or dying the cage black, but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I like the contrast it provides.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 04-20-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:43 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Because of the COVID-19 quarintine, weekends have become dedicated almost exclusively to relaxing or RC building.

This was an RC weekend. This kit only needs more painting so I'm sure some of you can guess what I was working on. For the rest of you, we've given up hope.

Nothing makes me shake in my slippers more than painting, especially when it's detail stuff that requires a steady hand such the driver head.

The whites of the eyes got pretty good. I impressed myself here. I was tempted to leave the possessed, demon eyes like this, but I continued on.

Eyes and hair added. His hair color turned out to be similar than mine which was a nice bonus. "The one eye is a little jacked" as my girlfriend put it, but this is up close. Zoomed out the driver looks pretty good for my lack of skill level so I'm happy with how this turned out. Of course, when looking at this photo I realized he was missing eyebrows so those were added later - with a toothpick. I should have painted his lips, but I didn't want to push my luck too far.

I decided to use the cowboy hat. Personally, I hate hats so I never wear them unless it's winter and I plan on spending time outside. In that case I a wear a beanie. Why the cowboy hat? Because it reminds me of the old school, Tamiya driver figures for some reason.

The flesh and cowboy hat were painted with flat paint. The rest of the interior was coated with Tamiya Flat Clear to dull it a bit. A great tip from a number of members on here. After painting the driver's shirt white and blue it reminded me of Fred from Scooby-Doo and I can't unsee it. Oh well.

OK enough babbling about the driver. Now onto the interior. The lazy half of me wanted to spray it black and be done with it. But I knew an all black interior inside a dark gun metal and black Jeep just would look pretty bad. So I decided to mask it off and hit some of it with Duratrax Bright Red. Masking this interior, like most others, is so tedious. I know painters charge a lot of money, but they earn it. I'll happily pay to avoid this part.

There are definitely lots of flaws with the interior, but you'll never see them once it is installed in the body.

I was going to leave the seats all red, but it just looked like too much so I gave in and applied the seat decals. I'm happy with the way it looks.

I thought about paining or dying the cage black, but I'm kinda glad I didn't. I like the contrast it provides.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results.
Oh yea your painting skills suck.....

Seriously we are our own worst critics. I was really happy with my driver / interior until I saw yours... Thanks, now I need to go order a new body and put more time into it!!!!
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #108
Gold Star Baby!

Looks good! You did a great job on the face and masking the interior. I’m with you there, I hate masking interiors. Nice work.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 01:39 PM   #109

Now onto something I'm dreading more - removing the paint from the windows on the otherwise nicely painted body. I have to say the Testors ELO "works a treat" as some of our European friends say. I came up with my own method of application. I dabbed it onto the unwanted paint with a Q-tip, waited for it to soften the paint, blotted off the paint and ELO and then rinsing with hot water. The windows get clear. You just have to have patience.

In the case of the rear window I screwed up the black top a bit. I applied the ELO and allowed the paint to soften up, but I forgot to blot it dry before rinsing it with hot water. The paint from the rear window ran off and stuck to the top. I have no idea how it stuck so quickly, but it did. Sigh, I should have listened to my gut and just left this window painted.

Next up is applying the decals. Not much to say here. The decals are nice and the fit is pretty good meaning the fit the features for which they were designed.

This decal would be much easier to apply before you install the fenders. I trimmed the tip off of this decal so I didn't have to try to slide it between the body and the fender.

The color molded taillights are awesome. I'm not sure why, but they are one of my favorite parts of the body. You get two decals for these housings. One goes on the outside and is simple to install. The other starts at the outside, wrap up top, down the inside and back down around the bottom to the outside. These aren't the easiest to install, but they are sized perfectly. They may be easier to install before you put the lights onto the body. I'm not sure.

And that takes us, finally, to a completed SCX10 III! Working from home has its benefits. At lunch I ran it outside into natural light to get some photos. The obervant observers will notice one of the screws is a stainless steel button head rather than a black oxide flat head. That's because I stripped a couple of those M3x14mm screws on the front shock tower brace. Replacements are on order from KNK.

This body was a ton of work, but it is worth it. As a "not another Jeep body" guy, I have to say I love this one! Very well done, Axialorizon (or is it Horaxial)!

Old 04-20-2020, 03:47 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Default Jato the SCX10 Take III

Looks great! Lovin the red wheels

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 04-20-2020 at 04:14 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 04:00 PM   #111
Rock Stacker

jato give yourself some credit. I think I turned out great. the red wheels pop out with the gun metal body. your interior looks so good im ready to paint my windows in shame
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #112
RCC Addict

Jeep looks great Jato, I'm gonna have to go through this whole thread when I start mine
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 05:42 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Ya, turned out quite nice! You can always touch up the rear hatch area outside top 'paint' or just roll it down some rocks couple times and nobody will ever notice, especially with the window tint decals in place.
Old 04-20-2020, 06:14 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Looking at your driver made me think that he needed blonde hair and an ascot.

GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 06:18 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post

I knew I’d seen that before!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 07:41 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
Oh yea your painting skills suck.....

Seriously we are our own worst critics. I was really happy with my driver / interior until I saw yours... Thanks, now I need to go order a new body and put more time into it!!!!
LOL. Thank you. We are definitely our own worst critics. I'm sure yours looks fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Looks good! You did a great job on the face and masking the interior. I’m with you there, I hate masking interiors. Nice work.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Looks great! Lovin the red wheels

Hang up and Drive
Thank you, Mike! I've always wanted to try red wheels, but was afraid I wouldn't like them. I do like them on this rig. Not sure I'm happy with the size of the tires though. Limiting the shocks to get the truck to sit lower may help the look. The truck definitely seem to have too much articulation for me. I should have limited them 5mm or so like I did in the Capra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
jato give yourself some credit. I think I turned out great. the red wheels pop out with the gun metal body. your interior looks so good im ready to paint my windows in shame
Thank you.

Haha. I'm sure yours looks fine too.

We all have our own strengths and weaknesses and I just think painting is my weakest point of building RC's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Jeep looks great Jato, I'm gonna have to go through this whole thread when I start mine
Thank you! I'll be looking forward to your build.

Quote:
Ya, turned out quite nice! You can always touch up the rear hatch area outside top 'paint' or just roll it down some rocks couple times and nobody will ever notice, especially with the window tint decals in place.
Thank you! I'm not easy on my trucks so it'll definitely get scratched. LOL Knowing it'll get scratched makes it easier to accept defects in the paint job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Dawg View Post
Exactly! That's Fred. He's the one I mentioned in my post above. LOL It wasn't intentional though.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:36 PM   #117
RCC Addict

Interior came out reaally good! I like the red, much more gooder with the dark exterior as you suspected. Your dude looks way better than mine did, but I didn't put a lot of time into the ahole either. Yours may not be an ahole, but he's definitely a dandy. Jacked up eye and all!

Quote:
You get two decals for these housings. One goes on the outside and is simple to install. The other starts at the outside, wrap up top, down the inside and back down around the bottom to the outside. These aren't the easiest to install, but they are sized perfectly. They may be easier to install before you put the lights onto the body. I'm not sure.
Both were fairly easy to put on pre-taillight installation...couldn't even imagine the inner ones with them installed. I stared at the website pics forever trying to figure out where those strange shaped decals on the sheet went!!

Finished rig wound up looking great, to be sure!

Fred...now that's funny right thar!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Interior came out reaally good! I like the red, much more gooder with the dark exterior as you suspected. Your dude looks way better than mine did, but I didn't put a lot of time into the ahole either. Yours may not be an ahole, but he's definitely a dandy. Jacked up eye and all!

Both were fairly easy to put on pre-taillight installation...couldn't even imagine the inner ones with them installed. I stared at the website pics forever trying to figure out where those strange shaped decals on the sheet went!!

Finished rig wound up looking great, to be sure!

Fred...now that's funny right thar!
Thank you!

Jacked up eye, huh? Oh I see how it is!

Good to know. If I ever build another one of these Jeep bodies, well that's your sign that I've lost my mind so run, but I'll keep the taillight decal installation before installation in mind.

Thank you very much!

Sometimes you win some and sometimes you Fred.
Old 04-21-2020, 07:37 AM   #119
Go Buckeyes!

That's funny! As I was scrolling thru the pics I came up on your driver and instantly thought it looked like Fred wearing a cowboy hat! And then you went and mentioned Fred from Scooby-Doo! Love it! Grew up watching Scooby-Doo and I approve! He looks great!

I really like the gun-metal paint color. I've been on the fence about painting mine bright gun-metal or lime green or both. I'll decide that when mine arrives I guess.

The build really turned out nice and can't wait to see some pics out on the rocks!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
That's funny! As I was scrolling thru the pics I came up on your driver and instantly thought it looked like Fred wearing a cowboy hat! And then you went and mentioned Fred from Scooby-Doo! Love it! Grew up watching Scooby-Doo and I approve! He looks great!

I really like the gun-metal paint color. I've been on the fence about painting mine bright gun-metal or lime green or both. I'll decide that when mine arrives I guess.

The build really turned out nice and can't wait to see some pics out on the rocks!
Thank you!

I loved Scooby-Doo as well so I'm fine with it.

I've always like gunmetal myself. I tried it on my Sawback and screwed that paint job up so it took me a while to get up the courage to spray it again.

Tags
axial, bxr, crawlmaster, holmes hobbies, horizon, horizon hobby, jato, jatotheripper, jeep, scx10, scx10 3, scx10 iii, scx103, scx10iii, tekin

Jato the SCX10 Take III - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III crawlerjunkie Traxxas TRX-4 53 09-24-2020 08:51 AM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Jato Bumped His Head - SCX10 II Edition JatoTheRipper Axial SCX10 II 219 05-30-2018 11:59 AM