Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Jato the SCX10 Take III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 11:38 AM   #1

Default Jato the SCX10 Take III

I got mines!

I'm really excited for this one. I couldn't stay awake for the live unveiling of this truck, but I preordered it as soon as I woke up the next morning for work.

Horizon did an awesome job with the Capra and I really think they are steering Axial in a good direction. While the Capra has some shortcomings, most notably the sticky dig, it's a great first Axial/Horizon effort. I expect this SCX10 III kit to be even better. I'm truly excited about Axial again.

I personally believe HobbiCo-owned Axial let us down with the SCX10 II. While that wasn't a very popular opinion, I do think people are finally realizing the SCX10 II was made from substandard materials. Horizon changed that with the Capra and I expect the same with this truck.

Anyway, here's the kit. It was shipped in a massive box so I opened it and broke down that box on the porch. It's good to see protective packaging though.

For the electronics I'm going to try a new ESC and new motor for the first time. The ESC is a Tekin BXR. I don't believe I've ever used a Tekin ESC for a brushed application. The motor is Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster 16T. The receiver is a FlySky FS-BS6 for my GT5. Lastly, there are two SX107 servos for the dig and for the 2-speed transmission. I was tempted to lockout the 2-speed, but I figured I should try it first.

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Jato the SCX10 Take III

Nice, I should be getting mine tomorrow!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #3

Was checking out that ESC just now but looks like it has a 20 turn limit. Does that mean you shouldn't use anything under 20 turns with it?
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Nice, I should be getting mine tomorrow!
Sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
Was checking out that ESC just now but looks like it has a 20 turn limit. Does that mean you shouldn't use anything under 20 turns with it?
Correct. You shouldn't use motors with numerically less turns. I am using a 16T, but it's a 5-slot which is closer to a 35T 3-slot so I think it'll be fine. I guess I should check into that though so thanks for pointing it out!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Very interested to see how the motor / ESC combo works out.

Are we there yet, are we there yet??????
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM   #6
Gold Star Baby!

Happy building Jato! Nice pile of parts.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Very interested to see how the motor / ESC combo works out.

Are we there yet, are we there yet??????
Ty confirmed 16T 5-slot will be fine with the BXR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
Happy building Jato! Nice pile of parts.
Thank you! Same to you. I'm going to read your thread when I have time.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Everybody is getting this damn SCX10.3 thing and I'm over here just ordering my Enduro kit and IFS kit. One portal truck is enough for me, lol. I'll stick to my Blazer for that.

Looking forward to your build. If they make a conventional axle one I will be all over it.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:51 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post
Everybody is getting this damn SCX10.3 thing and I'm over here just ordering my Enduro kit and IFS kit. One portal truck is enough for me, lol. I'll stick to my Blazer for that.

Looking forward to your build. If they make a conventional axle one I will be all over it.

That would be a nice lineup!

TRX 4
Enduro IFS
SCX10 iii Non-Portal Edition
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM74 View Post

I skipped over the Enduro. It just didn't seem to be different enough for my liking and the squared pumpkins just completely turned me off to the truck. I have to say though, I love what Associated is doing with that truck. They are hitting this market hard and fast and being unique which is tough. I bought an IFS kit to adapt to another chassis, but I'll either end up getting an Element to fit it to or more likely just sell it.

I loved the SCX10, wasn't a fan of the SCX10 II and I became a very vocal Axial detractor. When Horizon bought Axial I was pumped because I love Horizon/Losi/Vaterra products. I just have to see what they did with the III. Having the Capra and loving that truck just made the III even more enticing.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I skipped over the Enduro. It just didn't seem to be different enough for my liking and the squared pumpkins just completely turned me off to the truck.
I loved the SCX10, wasn't a fan of the SCX10 II and I became a very vocal Axial detractor. When Horizon bought Axial I was pumped because I love Horizon/Losi/Vaterra products. I just have to see what they did with the III. Having the Capra and loving that truck just made the III even more enticing.
The Enduro diff looks exactly like a Ford 8.8" rear end that is used in Mustangs and the non-tow package F-150. Hey, at least it isn't fricken red! lol.

It's weird how little things make stuff non starters for some people. For me it's portals on a truck that never came with them and isn't even a common mod for them. How ironic that the Axial Unimog doesn't come with portals but a Jeep JL does...
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:54 AM   #12

I am working from home due to Coronagate, but I actually have to work so I didn't get started on the build until after dinner.

One thing I forgot to mention about the box is that it's pretty heavy for an SCX10. Part of that, I'm sure, is just due to the fact that there are more parts. There are more gears as a result of the portals and transmission that contains a 2-speed and a DIG. You also get a much nicer body with an interior and lots of hard plastic parts. But I think the fact that this kit has all metal gears and higher quality plastics is another big part of it. Let the congregation rejoice for higher quality stuffs! Hallelujah!

The manual cover is very simple and monochrome except for the green Axial logo. It's not pretty, but no biggie. You'll probably only look at this once and only once.

Inside, I got a bit of nostalgia. Remember when Axial sold drivers?

Enough of that tomfoolery (highly underused word, BTW ). Let us start at the beginning with Bag A. When I pulled this bag out of the box I was shocked by the weight. It's very heavy, but it turns out Bag A contains both front and rear axles.

It's bagged inside of bags which seems to be the new standard for RC kits. I'm fine with this. In fact, I love the organization by parts and steps. And let me reiterate how much I love not having to cut and trim parts from sprue trees!!! If you are a paper straw-using, gluten-free, vegan, hipster you may not be a fan of all the plastic bags. Then again, those people aren't fans of many fun things anyway.

Horizon includes thread lock and gear grease. The thread lock may confuse some people because it's red, but I'm certain it has "blue" strength. The grease seems to be a nice formulation - thick enough to stick to the gears, but not thick enough to cause unnecessary drag like red and tacky.

Most of the heft in Bag A comes from these metal parts. Mo' metal mo' good ness! Lockers are of the now standard 6-bolt variety. Mo' strength mo' goodness.

The axle housings are made with very nice plastics - just like the Capra axles. The fit of the mating parts is also excellent. The axle housings and diff covers are a great example. The diff cover fits so well into the axle housing that it remain installed through the shipping process! Nothing is holding the diff cover in place except tight tolerances. Noice!

Now we get to the portal knuckles. The front and rear portal covers are not the same which is odd. They are clearly marked '1' and '2' on the inside, but be sure to remember this. Apparently, the Capra was also this way, but my feeble mind doesn't remember it.

The portal knuckles bring up a pet peeve of mine. There are 3 different bearing sizes used here. That makes a total of 5 different bearing sizes in the axles alone. The good thing is that it's hard to put them in the wrong spot. The tolerances of the bearing seats are great. The bearings press in and they stay there. I had one seat that was looser than the rest, but even that bearing stayed in place. Very nice job on the molding of these parts! See...plastic parts don't have to suck!

The hardware is very nice. It's the nicest Axial stuff I ever remember using. The tolerances of the head are great. You can put a screw on your driver, assuming it's high quality, and it'll stay there.

The front axle housing gets a bearing here. This caused a ton of confusion on the Capra if I'm remembering the correct location.

My only complaint about the front axle is the fit of the knuckle. In this photo you can see that the bottom is tight against the C-hub on the axle housing and at the top there is plenty of space.

This causes the knuckle to bind. As you can see in this photo, the knuckle isn't falling down under its own weight. This isn't totally uncommon with plastic axles, but this one seems to be especially tight. The Capra axles were the exact same way.

The rear axle housing does not get a bearing where the axle shaft rides. I wish it would have. Maybe this is where the confusion stemmed on the Capra. I forget, but I know that kit had bearing drama.

And after not much hassle, here are your axles. Good looking pieces. I was a vocal opponent of the red pumpkin covers, but now I kinda like them and I'm not sure why. It's almost becoming an Axial trademark although Traxxas did "borrow" that idea.

I wanted to mention that these axles are really smooth and free spinning. Very nice.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 03-27-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
Go Buckeyes!

Subscribed and following along!

Build on!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:58 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Very nice and congrats on the kit! Good timing for a new build too.

Seems to be a very nice kit, I like what I'm seeing on the build threads. Traxxas raised the bar for sure and clearly this is Axial's response. I'm so heavily invested in the TRX platform though, not sure this is on my list. I'll be living vicariously through your thread in the meantime.

I like parts sprues. It's all part of the experience.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I'm jealous of your paper towels! No paper products to be found out here. One thing nobody has mentioned is turning radius. Now that you have the axles together, how tight will it turn?
Bob_in az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Glad to see you're still creating clever build thread titles and infusing humor and entertaining dialog generously throughout, Tim!

Carry on, Sir...following dutifully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Next you'll say you like Tamiya decal sheets!! ;)

Last edited by 2mtech; 03-27-2020 at 01:14 PM.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #17

Thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Very nice and congrats on the kit! Good timing for a new build too.

Seems to be a very nice kit, I like what I'm seeing on the build threads. Traxxas raised the bar for sure and clearly this is Axial's response. I'm so heavily invested in the TRX platform though, not sure this is on my list. I'll be living vicariously through your thread in the meantime.

Thanks! The timing is perfect.

I loved the OG SCX10 so much and the Capra got me excited about Axial again so I had to try out this truck.

Traxxas did raise the bar. Perfect example of competition being awesome for the consumer.

You like trimming parts from trees? That's madness. The fact that this step is eliminated really speeds up builds - for better or for worse. Sometimes it's a bummer when builds move too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_in az View Post
I'm jealous of your paper towels! No paper products to be found out here. One thing nobody has mentioned is turning radius. Now that you have the axles together, how tight will it turn?
that's funny! I have an odd liking to building on paper towels for whatever reason. They soak up grease and oil. Plus, screws don't roll away as easily.

Good question. Tight. Axial claims 45 degrees which is now the standard among all the top brands. Judging by my uncalibrated eye it looks close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
Glad to see you're still creating clever build thread titles and infusing humor and entertaining dialog generously throughout, Tim!

Carry on, Sir...following dutifully.

Next you'll say you like Tamiya decal sheets!! ;)

Thank you! I'm no svt923, but I try to make my threads at least a little entertaining or what's the point, right?

A person that likes Tamiya decal sheets must also love torture.
Old 03-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I'm jealous, loving the build. Looking forward to more to come. Like said traxxas did raise the bar with the trx4. It's good to know axial has put better plastic out now. Wishing I had one of theses kits to build. True be told I have a scx10ii that was put on hold till I can get my rc area set back up. Paper towels, lol, least you have some. I got some stored up anyway too.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #19
RCC Addict

So the front axle C-hubs are not replaceable?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:45 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Thank you! I'm no svt923, but I try to make my threads at least a little entertaining or what's the point, right?
I like to go for the mundane online manual method myself.

I have a few build that I have not posted up on here yet. I should be catching up soon!
soze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, bxr, crawlmaster, holmes hobbies, horizon, horizon hobby, jato, jatotheripper, jeep, scx10, scx10 3, scx10 iii, scx103, scx10iii, tekin

Jato the SCX10 Take III - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III coming soon? svt923 Axial SCX10 III 434 06-04-2021 11:24 PM
Traxxas TRX-4 vs. SCX10 III crawlerjunkie Traxxas TRX-4 53 09-24-2020 08:51 AM
SCX10 iii or Wendigo AK KRAWLER General Crawlers 11 03-22-2020 09:23 PM
Jato Bumped His Head - SCX10 II Edition JatoTheRipper Axial SCX10 II 219 05-30-2018 11:59 AM