Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Brushed or brushless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 12:39 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushed or brushless?

Will get mine next week, so wanted to go with this truck ultra scale. What's everybody's opinion on electronics? Brushed or brushless? Will be a 2 speed and a dig
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brushed or brushless?

I think ultra scale would be best with a nice smooth brushed setup. I have been really happy with the HW1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t. Very smooth start up and plenty of power while still more than fast enough for $62 USD. Very hard combo to beat
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I look at this rig in terms of how Toyota built the Landcruisers: overbuilt, over geared, underpowered. You can beat on it as hard as you like, and you’ll be hard pressed to kill it. In terms of an RC, build it solid & put a sensible system in it - power to get things done, but not break things.
I’m going with the tried ‘n true combo of a Tekin FXR & Tekin 35t motor. It’s got enough grunt & wheel speed to get the job done when needed, but not so much that it’ll roach the transmission if things get bound up. This’ll be the 3rd out of 5 SCXs that will run this combo. Number 4 has a Hobbywing AXE sensored system... no complaints; it’s a clean & simple install, and you can program via phone app... but I think the simplicity & smoothness from the brushed is hard to beat. The 5th SCX is just a roller for now.

Last edited by turbodan13; 04-02-2020 at 06:31 PM.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:44 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I think ultra scale would be best with a nice smooth brushed setup. I have been really happy with the HW1080 and HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t. Very smooth start up and plenty of power while still more than fast enough for $62 USD. Very hard combo to beat
Never owned a HH electronics, so this time might give it a try, everydbody is happy with HH
Old 03-29-2020, 03:46 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
I look at this rig in terms of how Toyota built the Landcruisers: overbuilt, over geared, underpowered. You can beat on it as hard as you like, and you’ll be hard pressed to kill it. In terms of an RC, build it solid & put a sensible system in it - power to get things done, but not break things.
I’m going with the tried ‘n true combo of a Tekin FXR & Tekin 35t motor. It’s got enough grunt & wheel speed to get the job done when needed, but not so much that it’ll roach the transmission if things get bound up. This’ll be the 3rd out of 5 SCXs that will run this combo. Number 4 has a Hobbywing AXE sensored system... no complaints; it’s a clean & simple install, and you can program via phone app... but I think the simplicity & smoothness from the brushed is hard to beat. True 5th SCX is just a roller for now.
Yeah, am tekin all over the place. Even when I was racing, I was using a Tekin setup. Now my SCX10 2 Cherokee and UMG10 ha a Tekin RX4 and a 3100kv ROC412HD setup, but it's a monster. So thie time i want to go really scale and not crazy with the budget. I was jumping between a AXE setup and a brushed setup. I also have in my AX10 crawler a brushed Tekin setup for years now
Old 03-30-2020, 02:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
I will probably use the HW 1080 with a Holmes Hobby motor, not sure which one yet. I thought it was said somewhere that a 550 motor wouldn't fit in the scale engine bay. Could be mistaken . . . . . . . .
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I thought it was said somewhere that a 550 motor wouldn't fit in the scale engine bay. Could be mistaken . . . . . . . .
A 550 definitely fits. Depending on how you ave the wires coming off of the motor, you may be able to get the motor cover to fit without modification like I did.
GA Dawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramps View Post
I will probably use the HW 1080 with a Holmes Hobby motor, not sure which one yet. I thought it was said somewhere that a 550 motor wouldn't fit in the scale engine bay. Could be mistaken . . . . . . . .
At this point I am not so sure i still want a brushed setup. COnsidering a brushed motor from HH goes up to 100$, I am more intoa brushless setup now. Here is how a 550 brushed motor goes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--U84g4ZHDk
Old 04-02-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

There are pros and cons with both set ups. If you're after a super smooth set up with great start up and low speed creep, it's hard to beat a well dialed brushed set up. Inspector86 mentioned the HW1080 and a HH CM Sport 15T. This would be a great sweet spot for this rig in terms of torque, start up, low speed creep, and being all around bullet proof. I run HW 1080's on three different brushed rigs and they are a phenomenal little brushed ESC. Plus, with the 2 speed trans, I think you'd get all the top end you'd want or need for trailing.

Having said that, a brushless set up can provide power, pop and wheel-speed on demand that I personally have not been able to replicate with a brushed set up. I think If I were to go with a brushless set up in the 10.3, I'd be inclined to lose some complexity and run the trans single speed. Run say a 2800kv system with a Mamba X on 4S. You'd have gobs of torque and wheel speed, pretty awesome start up and creep, and all the top end you'd want and need on the single speeded trans.

Obviously budget comes in to play since you can be ALL IN on the brushed set up for around $65 USD for the HW 1080 and the HH CM Sport motor. Conversely, you're looking at $250 plus for the brushless set up.

I guess the last thing I'd want to take in to consideration is what you intend to subject the rig to in terms of use. If you're a water, mud, and creek running type of guy, I think I'd stick to brushed.

Anyway, I think it'd be hard to go wrong in either direction, it'll just come down to personal preference, budget, and how the rig will be used overall.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:46 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Now I got my mind all over the place. You are trully in what you are saying. I like mud, but I have for my comp purpose UMG10, wich was not converted into SR5 front cab/truggy style with a Tekin brushless system. My plan for this rig is to go as much as scale side as I can, no mud or water, also want to accesorise the body as much as I can. So you could be right in having a brushed setup
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
At this point I am not so sure i still want a brushed setup. COnsidering a brushed motor from HH goes up to 100$, I am more intoa brushless setup now. Here is how a 550 brushed motor goes in

That 10T Crawlmaster Pro runs pretty nice!
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post

I recommended the HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 15t that sells for $20. Paired with the HW WP1080 it is very smooth. You can get the HH Crawlmaster Pro 550 for $100 which I also run a couple of these motors and they are rebuildable but run pretty much the same as the CM Sport. My thought is that for $62 you can install the HW1080 and HH CM Sport 550 and if you decide your not happy you can change. If you install a $250 brushless combo and decide you don't like that you are out a lot more money.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-02-2020 at 01:25 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:20 AM   #13

I'm going with the tried and true setup of 3s lipo, and a brushed 35t motor.
Spacelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:08 PM   #14

This is my first trail/crawler so I am certainly no authority. In fact, I was totally stumbling along on my own until I found this site. Anyway, I have had good luck with Tekin, so I picked up an RX4 and Roc412 HD and it seems perfect for my use which is for the most part heavy trailing. Not sure if it would be a very capable crawler, as I do not know how it compares to others on the creep. It's good, but the modulation can be tricky at a very low speed.

I would love to hear from others who have had experience with both. I would not mind spending another $65 if the AXE, HH, or whatever motor were far superior in low speed modulation. As far as speed, I'm good as long as it is faster than I can walk.
Richr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I'm still waiting on my kit but I have a CC Micro Mamba Crawler and HH Stubby v2 1800Kv on the work bench waiting to go in it. I don't expect it to be a stump puller but it should be plenty of sauce and super efficient. We'll see I guess, lol.

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I went with the axe brushless 2300kv 540....

This was my first kit and Honestly what a difference in the "driving experience" between the rtr stuff and this AXE system....so much smooth low end torque plus the app is pretty neat it let's you fine tune it all couple that with the dx5 rugged and this baby practically drives itself and it still get plenty of wheel speed if you need to "pop" over something

Pricey but good gravy its soooooo good

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
jboogieroc is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushed or brushless? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless vs brushed rag6 Vaterra Ascender 30 10-07-2016 09:35 PM
Brushed or brushless? Bigend777str Team Losi Comp Crawler 30 10-10-2010 10:07 PM
brushed or brushless for the RF berg Kyosho Crawlers 5 08-13-2009 07:55 PM
Brushed .vs Brushless Shaun Electronics 14 08-17-2008 03:58 PM
Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor Rockpiledriver Electronics 70 09-26-2007 05:59 PM