Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: what micro servo for dig and transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

Default what micro servo for dig and transmission

I've read that several people have had issues with the spektrum sx107 micro servo used in the capra for the dig , so what other micro servo are yall using or would you recomend?
roxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2020, 02:44 AM   #2
Wwk

Default Re: what micro servo for dig and transmission

I'm using PowerHD TR-4 in my Capra. It is designed for TRX4, but works much better than SX107. It is digital, waterproof and 7,4 V compatible.
Wwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 03:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwk View Post
I'm using PowerHD TR-4 in my Capra. It is designed for TRX4, but works much better than SX107. It is digital, waterproof and 7,4 V compatible.
Is it the same size? How do you manage with the horn though?
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:14 AM   #4
Wwk

Yes, same size, just a bit wider holes for bolts. I use 25T horn supplied with PowerHD servo. No servo saver.
Wwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The other option stock Traxxas trx4 diff/shifter servo saver
Taper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #6

The SX107 comes with a piece that connects the servo to the servo saver in the kit. For whatever reason the kit does not come with this part. I understand that there are different sizes but the kits used to come with the 2 or 3 different servo output sizes. I have some micro servos from my heli's but the servo horn does not really work with the dig or 2 speed. Is there a kit or something we can order to fix this or do we just have to modify the servo horn to get it to work? I dont see why the SX107 is the only option covered by Axial considering the feedback people have left about it and the fact that it is sold out everywhere.

Thanks
kirkwoodrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwoodrider View Post
The SX107 comes with a piece that connects the servo to the servo saver in the kit. For whatever reason the kit does not come with this part. I understand that there are different sizes but the kits used to come with the 2 or 3 different servo output sizes. I have some micro servos from my heli's but the servo horn does not really work with the dig or 2 speed. Is there a kit or something we can order to fix this or do we just have to modify the servo horn to get it to work? I dont see why the SX107 is the only option covered by Axial considering the feedback people have left about it and the fact that it is sold out everywhere.

Thanks
I understand, AND completely agree. Considering how easily AND quickly the SX107s have died in the Capra, you would think Axial/Horizon Hobby would have come up with a better solution.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #8

This is a HUGE oversight in my opinion. You basically have to use the Spektrum servo in order to get the bottom piece of the servo saver. Why on earth wouldn't Axial\Horizon have just molded that piece along with the other two parts that are included in the kit. Manual and box just state you need "2 micro servos" to complete but the fact of the matter is you need "2 Spektrum spmssx107 micro servos" to complete.

I bought two eco-power 640T's when I bought the kit thinking they would work without modification. Now I either have to engineer a way to connect them without a servo saver or exchange them for the Spektrum servos when they eventually come off of backorder and rebuild the trans to go without them for the time being.

Last edited by tdo805; 04-03-2020 at 11:27 AM.
tdo805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdo805 View Post
This is a HUGE oversight in my opinion. You basically have to use the Spektrum servo in order to get the bottom piece of the servo saver. Why on earth wouldn't Axial\Horizon have just molded that piece along with the other two parts that are included in the kit. Manual and box just state you need "2 micro servos" to complete but the fact of the matter is you need "2 Spektrum spmssx107 micro servos" to complete.

I bought two eco-power 640T's when I bought the kit thinking they would work without modification. Now I either have to engineer a way to connect them without a servo saver or exchange them for the Spektrum servos when they eventually come off of backorder and rebuild the trans to go without them for the time being.
Maybe Horizon designed it that way so you are forced to buy Spektrum servos... I can't think of a good reason why else they'd to that.

If you use a servo horn instead of a servo save your should be able to make those servos work.

I will say I haven't had any issues with the Spektrum micro servos. Granted, I've only run my Capra a couple of times though. If you set your end points CORRECTLY, they should be just fine.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Maybe Horizon designed it that way so you are forced to buy Spektrum servos... I can't think of a good reason why else they'd to that.

If you use a servo horn instead of a servo save your should be able to make those servos work.

I will say I haven't had any issues with the Spektrum micro servos. Granted, I've only run my Capra a couple of times though. If you set your end points CORRECTLY, they should be just fine.
Did a little research and I think those servo saver parts came from the Capra. As far as I've been able to tell, thats the servo it uses in the RTR.
Old 04-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Did a little research and I think those servo saver parts came from the Capra. As far as I've been able to tell, thats the servo it uses in the RTR.
The Capra is no different than the SCX10 III in that you need the servo to get the other part of the servo saver. Half of the servo saver comes only with the servo itself.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 02:33 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The Capra is no different than the SCX10 III in that you need the servo to get the other part of the servo saver. Half of the servo saver comes only with the servo itself.
So if you had built a Capra from the kit you would be aware. Gotcha. I think my comment was more coming from the position of addressing the "why" around Axial's decision to make that piece dependent on using that servo.

*edit* - went back and read the first couple posts of the thread and now realize why my coment didnt make any sense

Last edited by tdo805; 04-03-2020 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

You can buy only the plastic part separately, without buying the servo
Old 04-06-2020, 11:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traulus View Post
You can buy only the plastic part separately, without buying the servo
Part # is AX31009. Its the servo saver set from the Yeti Jr. It's backordered pretty much everywhere.

Axial Racing - 2-Speed Hi/Lo Servo Saver Set
Old 04-10-2020, 11:04 AM   #15

Be wary with the AX31009. I got the kit and tried it with a Hitec and eFlight micro servo and the kit does not have a small enough adapter, the smallest is 23 tooth. They really need to fix this oversight. It does not make sense. I don't want to use it without a servo saver and with the reputation that the Spectrum one I don't want to waste my money on that servo. Hopefully they make a kit for this sooner than later.
kirkwoodrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:35 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

I guess I see it like this. I got the spectrum servos. They have the hardware needed. It was the cheapest and available option at the time of ordeing. When they fail, I have my eye on these.

https://www.savoxusa.com/products/sa...g-high-voltage

The other thing I am not liking about the spektrum servos, is there is no specs on them anywhere. Not on the website, or the package when you get them.

My $.02,

FlatLander

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 10:46 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Part # is AX31009. Its the servo saver set from the Yeti Jr. It's backordered pretty much everywhere.

Axial Racing - 2-Speed Hi/Lo Servo Saver Set
It was available a week ago
Old 04-11-2020, 12:29 PM   #18

I ended up exchanging my eco power servos for the spectrum ones and made sure my endpoints were adjusted so the servos weren’t straining at the ends of the throw. Guess we will see how they hold up. I’m not super happy with how the wire on the shift servo routes either but I think it would be that way regardless of servo I used. 🤷🏽*♂️

what micro servo for dig and transmission - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DNA Dig Custom Servo Mounts, Full Size or Micro Servo Kraqa Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 09-11-2009 10:17 AM