Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: 2mtech's SCX10.3 JoLene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 2mtech's SCX10.3 JoLene

And so begins another build adventure!

Motor: Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster 27t brushed
ESC: Hobbywing Quicrun 1080WP
Receiver: Spektrum SR515 5-channel
Steering servo: DS3218
Shift servo: Spektrum SX107 micro
Gearing: 13t pinion, stock spur and diff gears

2 speed: Enabled
DIG: Disabled

Paint:
Tamiya PS-59 dark metallic blue
Tamiya PS-12 silver
Tamita PS-1 white

Love that new truck smell!!!

Kind of an interesting chronology reference that this truck is being built during such a unique and tumultuous time in world history (raul shabinguez said "bad beer going around" haha). Most of us are at least in partial lockdown hiding from the evil Corona virus. Significant current events to note: the Defense Production Act has been invoked for the first time since WWII, a mobile hospital has been erected in Central Park for the first time since the Civil War, and an Axial kit has been released with decent quality plastic for the first time ever!

This will not be a detailed step-by-step build, I'm more than glad to leave that to the pros like Jato, svt923, OSRC and soze to name a few, but I'll toss up some pics and commentary.

First off I like and appreciate that Horaxial chose to put parts and hardware for each step in appropriately marked step bags as others have noted. This feeds my OCD habit of laying out everything for a given step, making sure I know what's what, especially with really closely sized hardware and bearings, and confirming that I actually have everything I need.

The manual was well laid out and easy to follow. First thing that impressed me once assembly began was the perfect bearing fit. Best I've encountered so far, my comparisons running from a TRX4 at the high end through some Gmade and MST stuff down to an RC3WD TF2 POS that reigns supreme as the ultimate example of how not to build parts. I digress.

These are the sort of thing that bring out my inner child and make me forget about spending a couple days' pay on these kits. Scale parts are fascinating to me when done well and some parts especially so, like the front axle shafts:

And we have a front axle assembly:

Here I hit my first item that I think could probably have been done better: This is possibly the loosest I've ever had to leave knuckle pivot screws to get free steering movement. I would've preferred metal collars here at least. Bet this will be an upgrade part soon.

I also found it kind of funny that grease application is indicated on different parts depending on the assembly location. Grease is shown needing application to the ring gear in the front diff but on the pinion in the rear, even though they're exactly the same parts. Likewise in the rear portals...upper gear on one side, lower on the other. I chose to be a rebel and applied it on the larger of two meshing gears in all locations. As long as one partner gets lubed, it should all work out fine in the end.

And Axle Rose and Axle Foley are done!

Yeah, I don't know which is which either.

Another teleworking day tomorrow, hope to get some more building done while I'm pretending to be paying attention in meetings.

Last edited by 2mtech; 04-11-2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Added parts details
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 2mtech's SCX10.3 JoLene

Axle Rose...Axle Foley...LUVit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Axle Rose...Axle Foley...LUVit.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I knew you'd be my first comment! Couldn't resist an 80's moment.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mtech View Post
I knew you'd be my first comment! Couldn't resist an 80's moment.
Luv the 80s (ok, and the 70s).

Old 04-01-2020, 04:42 AM   #5
Gold Star Baby!

I feel like my hair got a little longer after reading this and I have an urge to drink MGD and smoke Marlboro reds, but I’ll unfortunately have to abstain.

Looking forward to seeing it come together, rebel rebel.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topher Builds View Post
I feel like my hair got a little longer after reading this and I have an urge to drink MGD and smoke Marlboro reds, but I’ll unfortunately have to abstain.

Looking forward to seeing it come together, rebel rebel.
Haha, thanks for THAT little bit of nostalgia, Topher!
Old 04-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #7

The new truck smell will get you high! That explains why you called me a pro! I appreciate the compliment though. Thank you.

"Axle Rose and Axle Foley..." That's hilarious!

I chose to tighten the kingpin screws and I'll let the plastic wear away, hopefully, to lessen the drag. The Capra was the same way. I do agree this is an area that Axial needs to work on.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Wait until you get to the transmission. I've heard that you'll "feel the noise" and things will get "wild, wild, wild".
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I chose to tighten the kingpin screws and I'll let the plastic wear away, hopefully, to lessen the drag. The Capra was the same way. I do agree this is an area that Axial needs to work on.
Brave man! If I snugged mine at all I had zero steering. Like...nada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Wait until you get to the transmission. I've heard that you'll "feel the noise" and things will get "wild, wild, wild".
Haha, right on!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
That was good. I still love that song though. That album was my very first cassette after all. Now I feel old.

Quote:
Brave man! If I snugged mine at all I had zero steering. Like...nada.
Mine will still turn, but with drag. I think the Holmes SHV500v3 is up to the task. That thing is a beast.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That was good. I still love that song though. That album was my very first cassette after all. Now I feel old.
Luv e some, as well...tho, think I had it on 8-track. Feel younger now?

Old 04-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
That album was my very first cassette after all. Now I feel old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Luv me some, as well...tho, think I had it on 8-track. Feel younger now?
I was going to say, my first tape was a Supertramp 8-track...don't talk to me about old!

Quote:
Mine will still turn, but with drag. I think the Holmes SHV500v3 is up to the task. That thing is a beast.
That is a monster, yes...now you'll just tear the knuckles out of the chubs altogether!

Anybody else notice they have to work more from home than they did from work? Cuts into build time something awful!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Anybody else notice they have to work more from home than they did from work? Cuts into build time something awful!
I've been doing it for 5 years now. It's totally true. When you're working remote, there's also the pressure that people think you're not doing any work even though you're working.

My current employer is much better, but my previous one.... if you didn't answer your instant message... a phone call was coming within 5 minutes. So you pretty much had to chain yourself to the desk.

The other problem is colleagues start to work late hours and expect an answer right away during off hours. I try not to reply until the morning, but sometimes it gets unavoidable.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:53 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Have definitely found that all to be true...not a fan!

I have shocks to build!!
Old 04-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #15

When I was a kid my uncle had an 8-track player in his AMC Concord.

Quote:
I have noticed that. WTH!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
When I was a kid my uncle had an 8-track player in his AMC Concord.
AMC...woo hoo!

So moving right along, the next step up shouldn't come as a shock...

Every set of shocks I build gets a little easier, and these were no different...except that they were WAY easier. Really like the bleed screws, but to be honest these bled so easily I didn't even use the stand. I would now have paid twice as much for my Tekno shock tool. It was especially useful on my balls.

Collars were really tight...no chance of them moving unintentionally.

Then on to the infamous transmission. Dayum, that's a lot of parts...

I'll just say I'm glad this wasn't my first tranny build. mikemcE's tip of pre-threading the linkage struts was spot on...those were fun to install. No extra parts and final function was smooth and quiet for so many metal gears being intimate. I did glue my nuts after the captive one refused to remain captive while snapping the front cover in (guess that sounds bad).

This is as far as I went because I still haven't decided what electronics set to use. Guess I should be making that choice soon.......

Noticed a few more typos in the manual...that was not well proofed. I have to do that a few times a year so I may be more critical than most, but ya know, it's right or it's not.

We'll see what happens next!

Last edited by 2mtech; 04-02-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2020, 10:28 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I did glue my nuts after the captive one refused to remain captive while snapping the front cover in (guess that sounds bad).
I know you are aware of the post Rich put up about the manual errors. He also provided tips for areas that he felt needed more clarification or just a general tip. He mentioned gluing those captive nuts with a drop of CA.

I had that post open and each step I would check to see if there was a tip or error. For the rest of your build I recommend having that post open and scanning for anything Rich posted.

Build is going great! Keep up the good OCD job you are doing with your workstation layout! Love it!
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:22 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
I know you are aware of the post Rich put up about the manual errors. He also provided tips for areas that he felt needed more clarification or just a general tip. He mentioned gluing those captive nuts with a drop of CA.
Yep, but thanks for making sure I had. I should have said I glued my nuts like Rich suggested may be necessary, I know others so far did not, or at least didn't admit it!

Quote:
I had that post open and each step I would check to see if there was a tip or error. For the rest of your build I recommend having that post open and scanning for anything Rich posted.
Oh, trust me, I went through my manual and made all the pen & ink changes before I ever started. I've added a couple more for him since but still found a few more tonight.

Quote:
Build is going great! Keep up the good OCD job you are doing with your workstation layout! Love it!
Thanks! I couldn't quit that if I wanted to!

So far on a 1-10 scale considering manual clarity/accuracy, part fit, feel & finish and ease of assembly, I'll give this one about an 8.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:35 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Look'n great man!!! the more that is pointed out now, the easier it will be for us late arrivals... Hoping to be able to build one of these in the near future
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER View Post
Look'n great man!!! the more that is pointed out now, the easier it will be for us late arrivals... Hoping to be able to build one of these in the near future
Thanks! The build ls always my favorite part so I like to savor the experience rather than seeing how fast I can slap it together. Makes for a slow series build thread. Work seems really slow today tho, so.........

2mtech's SCX10.3 JoLene - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2mtech's La BOMba 2mtech G-Made Crawlers 31 11-20-2018 04:08 PM
2mtech's SCX10ish Power Wagon 2mtech 1.9 Scale Rigs 66 08-21-2018 08:31 PM
2mtech's TF2 LWB LC70 build 2mtech RC4WD Trail Finder 2 20 09-19-2017 09:40 PM
Axial SCX10 ll, SCX10, Gmade Sawback 4LS, Vaterra Ascender K5 From Malaysia. RCWin Videos! 2 12-01-2016 08:23 AM