Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Low or high gear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2020, 11:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Low or high gear?

Using a HH Puller Pro BL 2700kv motor. Not utilizing two speed option, so think I want to go with low speed. Looking/reading install instructions has me confused. Plain and simple question in the end. If I want to lock it into low speed which I think is referred to as “1 spead” in the manual, do I assemble per shown install instruction? I’m confused cause looking at the diagram, it looks like where the spacer is shown to be installed will lock it in high speed, or in other words “2 spead”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Low or high gear?

Depending on which side of the shift fork shaft you put the spacer on during assembly, you will either be locked in High or Low range. With the spacer in place, the shifting ability is locked out. Having it in High range will not give you the 2-speed option. Personally, I feel if you are going to run it as a single-speed option, locking in High will give your motor a bit more "leg room" to work within. At full tilt in Low, you may not have enough range to work with for the motor to operate efficiently and could potentially overheat/damage it or the transmission.

Just my 2˘.
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodan13 View Post
Depending on which side of the shift fork shaft you put the spacer on during assembly, you will either be locked in High or Low range. With the spacer in place, the shifting ability is locked out. Having it in High range will not give you the 2-speed option. Personally, I feel if you are going to run it as a single-speed option, locking in High will give your motor a bit more "leg room" to work within. At full tilt in Low, you may not have enough range to work with for the motor to operate efficiently and could potentially overheat/damage it or the transmission.

Just my 2˘.

Hmm, that’s a good point. I generally just go for low and slow crawling with my rigs so low gear seemed best. But of course I want wheel speed as well. With a nice sensored motor really I can probably achieve the nice low control I want and wheel speed with it locked in high gear. So with the spacer installed per the instructions, does that lock it into high or low gear??

Fishcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:06 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishcharger View Post
Hmm, that’s a good point. I generally just go for low and slow crawling with my rigs so low gear seemed best. But of course I want wheel speed as well. With a nice sensored motor really I can probably achieve the nice low control I want and wheel speed with it locked in high gear. So with the spacer installed per the instructions, does that lock it into high or low gear??

I was mistaken on the spacer placement. It's either inside or outside of the trans housing, not either side of the shift fork.
From the "Things to know before you build..." thread:

There's a ton of good info, straight from Rich @ Axial, in this thread. Definitely worth a look, and DEFINITELY use a 3mm tap as Rich suggests! Your hands will thank you & the build will go much easier.
SCX10-III: Things to know before you build yours (Tips)
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

If you use the stock 14T pinion and lock it in first gear you should be around....

Going completely stock out of the box with a 3 cell and 2700kv motor

Final Drive Ratio = 45.63:1
MPH = 9.26

If you were to change to the lowest available pinion 11T with 2700kv motor

Final Drive Ratio = 58.08:1
MPH = 7.28
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote

Low or high gear? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low or high gear? Thickone Vaterra Ascender 1 08-04-2017 08:46 AM
Big Gear, Low Thottle vs Little Gear, High Thottle summerof95 Electronics 18 02-02-2015 02:23 PM
AX10 shift kit or shifting from Low gear to High gear? legobrains Axial AX-10 Scorpion 19 10-27-2007 12:24 AM
High/Low Gear ? Fishmaxx Traxxas Crawlers 1 02-25-2004 08:37 AM