Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Lets have some fun...what body would you like to see next...READ BEFORE YOU POST

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 11:08 PM   #41

Default Re: Lets have some fun...what body would you like to see next...READ BEFORE YOU POST

Older Jeeps, like mentioned above. Cherokee Wagoneer, pickups, even the Commander like someone mentioned. (MOAR JEEPZ)

Ford Econoline van

90's or early 2000's Chevy Tahoe

Ford Expedition

Dodge Ram Charger
SteveReject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2020, 11:55 PM   #42
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Lets have some fun...what body would you like to see next...READ BEFORE YOU POST

Outside the box here but what about the Chevy Blitz AKA Canadian Military Pattern built for the Commonwealth forces mostly by Chevrolet but some by Ford in a rare cooperative production. There were a lot of the Chevys still in use in the '70s in Australia, complete with the stovebolt inline 6, the Ford versions using the flathead V8, particularly among the Queensland banana farmers. A half a million of these vehicles were built and played a big role in the war effort.

They would lend themselves well to a nice rust patina for the scale boys. Short front overhang would give a great approach angle and the tray could be fiddled a bit if needed for departure angle. They came in lots of configurations, single cab, double cab, ambulance, gun tractor etc. I even saw some with round hatches in the roof, probably for a gun mount, most likely Lewis or Bren.

The final picture is of a Ford version with what was called the type 11 cab.

Last edited by bbrigg; 04-03-2020 at 09:12 AM.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:31 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

I'd like to see some licensed current or recent military bodies...

Along these lines...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
JSterrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:43 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

I know this would not happen, but i would love to see a europe car body on the SCX
Traulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #45
Rock Stacker

I have to agree... a CJ8 would be pretty awesome.

No2Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:00 AM   #46
RCC Addict

I think a modern super duty with cab and bed length option would work well on the new 10.3 chassis. Regular cab long bed/crew cab short bed/crew cab long bed. Maybe two piece for mix and matching possibilities.

Almost any year ram 2500/3500 would be nice

Whoever makes the first 5th gen 4Runner will be printing money.

I would buy a lot of the options thrown out here already.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:27 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Yeah definitely any of the Comanche pickups, my favorite being the example found in Twister, or the 2020 Silverado Trail Boss. Or whatever the RAM Rebel TRX will look like when it's released
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #48
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Rich, lets go outside the box for a moment, more of the market. Rather than doing a monolithic truck body, have you considered doing cabs (2 and 4 door) and beds (short, long, dually) separately for the truck guys? I'm not up to speed with all the Axial lineup, but by doing this you could please the truggy guys, truck guys, and scratch builders using the kits on the market. Is the licensing costs for current model vehicles way more than for classics? Personally, I like the Jeeps, 1st gen Bronco or 1st gen Land Cruiser.

This. I like the idea of separate cabs and beds. Opens up a lot of possibilities for the end user. Axial did this a few years back with the Dodge Power Wagon and the still produced Honcho (Or is it, will it be carried to the new chassis?). I think mid-size truck geared towards overlanding will be the hot ticket. Tacoma being the most popular followed by the Ranger, Colorado, and Gladiator. Traxxas went after this with the TRX Sport, but missed the mark not using a licensed body (but probably at a cost benefit to us). I know licensing is an expensive challenge, but I'd be happy with any midsize truck as long as it has good detail
FordSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Not that I'm a huge fan of any of those marques, but here goes:

Ford: How about a classic "shoebox" Bronco, with interior/cage and an option of a removable roof? Lots of really cool old Baja trucks to use as build inspiration.

Chevy: Hmm... Nothin CHevy made was ever really appealing to me. They're all kind of blah, basic truck shapes. Just can't get excited about 'em. Sorry.

Jeep: Although I've been a Toyota guy for decades now, there was a time when I had an '83 CJ7 and an '88 Comanche. I do agree with the others that a CJ8 Scrambler would be cool.

The Jeep J-10 is another one that's kinda neat. Yeah, it's close to the Nukizer, but it's another option that isn't very common.

And for the "wish list" ideas: How about some true portal axle vehicles, like a U1300L Unimog, a Volvo C303,or a Pinzgauer 710?
Pinz 710:

Volvo C303:

U1300L:
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

1. late 70's Ford bronco body (only if detailed as much as the scx10III Jeep JL wrangler body)

2. I would love an updated version of the Trail Honcho kit for the SCX10III (Toyota license would be awesome) but it isn't necessary. A 2nd or 3rd Gen "Tacoma" Cab with truggy rear end and a rear tire carrier would be an awesome throwback to the OG SCX10 trail honcho kit(my first RC crawler kit in 2009)
Mega Fattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC FAB View Post
Rich, lets go outside the box for a moment, more of the market. Rather than doing a monolithic truck body, have you considered doing cabs (2 and 4 door) and beds (short, long, dually) separately for the truck guys? I'm not up to speed with all the Axial lineup, but by doing this you could please the truggy guys, truck guys, and scratch builders using the kits on the market. Is the licensing costs for current model vehicles way more than for classics? Personally, I like the Jeeps, 1st gen Bronco or 1st gen Land Cruiser.
I have been following this thread and commented on what I would like to see. I was not thinking at the time of my post "If my job depended on it"

With that this idea is the most intriguing IMO. As we all know you cannot make everyone happy such as this new release with a Jeep body. Many people are sick of Jeeps and will wait for the next iteration.

This idea in a kit or RTR would give more options that would appeal to a broader audience. Just like this new transmission. Some people don't want dig or a 2 speed others do. The fact that this kit was designed with all of the options and the future option of straight axles is what will sell this kit more IMO.

So along the same lines, finding a body that can be configured in multiple ways would appeal to a larger audience which would equal more sales. I love my Jeeps but if I was looking for a new rig and the SCX10 III had the current options and then a truck body with multiple configurations it would steer me at least towards that kit.

I do not develop crap so I am not sure how cost effective or ineffective this would make for a new release.

To add onto the body configurations already listed including different mounting options for the rear shocks would be the cherry on top. You want a flatbed truck configure with cantilever suspension, regular truck bed and or truggy bed with standard shock location or cantilever.

Bottom line if it can be done cost effective the more options that a kit or RTR can offer the more people it will appeal to. I had bought a TRX as I really liked the 2 speed idea and locking / unlocking diffs. The diffs are more just fun to play with than actually adding performance to the rig. When the SCX10 III came out and I saw the included options that you can configure I did not hesitate to whip out the CC and buy it.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #52
RCC Addict

88-98 silverado

88-98 suburban

68-72 el camino
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee, so my loyalty to it would lead me to cast a vote for it. Then, I'd say a Ford Ranger Raptor (though I know we'll never see it here in America!), and finally a 2nd generation Chevrolet S10 Blazer (Go Dirt Every Day!).

colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:56 AM   #54
Pebble Pounder

the Carmor Mantis would be a interesting body

jcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:33 AM   #55

1. A Mercedes Benz van of ford transit van that is decked out for expedition.
2. New silverado 2500hd
3. Dodge power wagon
Thedesertplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #56
Sr. Product Developer

Awesome feedback guys..again this was all for fun.

Just a little more background and to help those that say "why don't they just..." "everyone knows this would sell like.." Or..."why don't they just include...." or "if i owned the company...." LOL

When i propose a product to the bosses, I need to figure a way to not only make it appealing to you the consumer, but also appealing to the dealer and profitable for our company. So many people think we make these kits for $50, when that is so far from the truth. When i start to work on the numbers there has to be a balance, that not only do we make a sustainable profit but that the dealer can make a profit and that you guys will be ok to pay.

That's were licensing can come in to play...a few percentage points may not seem like much but in the long haul every penny counts. So would I love to include a multi piece body with tons of options and include every link possible to make the wheel base you want, while including different offset wheels, gear ratios, etc...yes BUT in the end, the cost would be far to high and they wouldn't sell (expect to those that would still say "i'd buy one" lol).

So in the end, as a hobbyist myself, I'd love to do every make and model and include all the cool parts but we try and do our best to provide the best "bang for the buck" possible.

Again, thanks guys for input and keep them coming...

Rich
Rich Trujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Anything on a Jeep Wagoneer/Honcho platform! With wood panels, classic Wagoneer, or pickup!

Name:  1976-jeep-wagoner-front-three-quarter-on-the-rocks.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-06 um 1.27.29 PM.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-06 um 1.25.33 PM.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  Jeep_Wagoneer_Lifted.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  91.4 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #58
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Trujillo View Post
Awesome feedback guys..again this was all for fun.

Just a little more background and to help those that say "why don't they just..." "everyone knows this would sell like.." Or..."why don't they just include...." or "if i owned the company...." LOL

When i propose a product to the bosses, I need to figure a way to not only make it appealing to you the consumer, but also appealing to the dealer and profitable for our company. So many people think we make these kits for $50, when that is so far from the truth. When i start to work on the numbers there has to be a balance, that not only do we make a sustainable profit but that the dealer can make a profit and that you guys will be ok to pay.

That's were licensing can come in to play...a few percentage points may not seem like much but in the long haul every penny counts. So would I love to include a multi piece body with tons of options and include every link possible to make the wheel base you want, while including different offset wheels, gear ratios, etc...yes BUT in the end, the cost would be far to high and they wouldn't sell (expect to those that would still say "i'd buy one" lol).

So in the end, as a hobbyist myself, I'd love to do every make and model and include all the cool parts but we try and do our best to provide the best "bang for the buck" possible.

Again, thanks guys for input and keep them coming...

Rich
The one thing that I would hazard to guess that nobody thought of is it being a world economy (selling it to the bosses by volume of unit sales. I get that, but this is for fun, right? I will continue to dream). So it should technically appeal to everyone as an end consumer to make the pennies pinch. Soooooooooo, a truck. Again. HOWEVER, making the bed separate from the cab, Baja Rey has bed sides and a cab, right? And a replacement body for that isn't cheap. Make the cab with a back on it, vacuum form the bed sides then Injection mold the inner bed, like the modern stuff. Shallow draw on the bed yields thicker bed sides to boot. Truggy guys happy, truck guys happy. Go fast guys might even use it to make pre runners like their 1:1s, opening up another sector of the scale market where the UDR holds the crown.

Is your arm getting sore from my twisting yet?
MAC FAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Default Lets have some fun...what body would you like to see next...READ BEFORE YOU POST

Van
Szczerba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Looking at this globally? I can't speak for the asian market, but IMHO the people in Europe don't really think of a Jeep Wrangler JL when offroading.
You do have the FIAT Group that now owns Jeep and Dodge/RAM also, so you would think you could get them onboard with their modern products like Grand Cherokee, Wrangler (but you hardly ever see a Limited in Europe), RAM pickups and even the little Jeep Renegade since it shares platform with Fiat 500L.
I doubt that's what people in let's say Germany, France or Austria are dreaming of when they think offroading let alone crawling. Land Rover, Lada Niva, Suzuki Jimny or old Mercedes G class and Unimogs come to their mind. And if they start dreaming and look up "crawlers", I am pretty sure they will prefer classic american offroaders and SUVs like Bronco, Blazer, Wagoneers. The ones you could find in Europe on used car websites (e.g. mobile.de) - that's where you should do research :-)
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lets have some fun...what body would you like to see next...READ BEFORE YOU POST - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orang County Scale GTG's (lets have some fun) mrhobby100 California 17 04-02-2017 04:05 PM
Lets see'em, post your motivational posters.... Redfinger Chit Chat 16 02-19-2010 04:52 AM
Painting: where's that post I read? floydkahue Axial SCX-10 1 11-10-2009 11:34 PM
Lets go to MOAB for FUN DwaneO New Mexico 6 08-19-2009 12:20 AM