Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: KYX metal axle housings

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default KYX metal axle housings

Has anyone seen these yet, in person? I'm guessing from the pics that they're the usual cast metal like the Xtra Speed 10.2 housings are.

I'm running a full styrene Unimog body, so it's top-heavy, and figured these might be a good way to add some more mass/weight down low... Already using SSD brass portal covers on all 4 corners and some heavier alloy wheels.

I stumbled across these on fleabay, and for the price, they seemed like a decent option to add some heft down below. Thoughts? Experience with these?

turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2021, 07:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: KYX metal axle housings

I bought one of their housings for the front of my Capra (same c-hub design as the 10.3) and it was broken (cracked where the lower leg of the c-hub meets the axle tube) in the undamaged package. I've had great luck with their AR44 and AR60 housings, but I'd avoid them on a 10.3 or Capra due to the extra leverage of the portals and how thin it is where the c-hub attaches at the axle tube combined with the low grade pot metal... the rear might be okay since it has more material around the portal box? But definitely not the front! For the front axle housing I would (and did) pony up for a billet housing from Vitavon, Vanquish, Treal, or the like.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:07 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: KYX metal axle housings

I'm using that rear in a new build that I haven't quite got running yet. Seems decent enough quality. Gotta be stronger than stock plastic, right? I've used their Scx10 II portals and their AR60's. In my experience they make good rear axles. I still use the scx10 ii front axle, but I've replaced bent stub shafts multiple times (only in the front for some reason). I ditched the AR60 front because I kept breaking axle shafts, and standard ar60 front shafts are not compatible.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote

KYX metal axle housings - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metal axle housings austin-92 Axial SCX10 II 6 10-18-2020 02:27 PM
Front/rear metal diff housings jeeptec Element RC 1/10 Enduro Trail Truck Sendero 5 05-20-2020 06:17 AM
Metal axle housings? MODC Traxxas TRX-4 2 12-31-2018 04:23 PM
Metal or Plastic Axle Housings? YellowRabbit Newbie General 7 02-04-2014 09:26 PM