Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Anyone going topless? Cut tops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2020, 12:36 PM   #21

Default Re: Anyone going topless? Cut tops?

I pulled the interior on mine to see how the weight affected performance. It doesn't seem to be as "ass-tippy" without it but I'm a noob so what do I know? As for the cage, it has a little bit flex deflection to the center spans of the longest trusses but overall, it appears pretty stout against a compressive force. I'll have to compare it against my neighbors SCX10 Honcho. I think it will work as a stand alone. I'm sort of flogging mine in the rocks to learn it's limitations so rollovers are a real thing for me at this point.

I'd like to have a nice custom paint body in a color of my choice so again, I'm thinking this gray body would be okay to drill the corners and cut off the back.
Grizzled Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Hey those pictures are way too big please resize those, largest size allowed is 1200 x 900

X2, please resize!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzled Bastard View Post
Just got my RTR version (my first rig) and "considering" topless but leaving the door/window frames for sure and maybe the forward section of roof. My curiosity is how sound is the roll cage for roll overs? I haven't even seen mine since it's stuffed inside and I've only had it a few days. Will it handle the abuse the boxy corners of the lexan body can handle? In the back of my head, I'm thinking of doing the mod on my RTR body and getting another to do a bitchen paint job on.

Reinforce and make the interior one with the body using drywall mesh tape and E6000 or SHoeGoo inside, works great!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:10 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2, please resize!

Reinforce and make the interior one with the body using drywall mesh tape and E6000 or SHoeGoo inside, works great!
Thanks for the tip. I've made a bigger decision and I'm bailing out on this thing. I'm selling it off. I'll never use it and made a stupid mistake buying it. R/C Airplanes have and keep my attention. I'm sticking to planes. After messing with this thing a few times, it's fun for about 5 minutes and then boring to me. I'm dumping the whole rig and everything I got for it on my local craigslist.
Grizzled Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 02:32 AM   #24

I cut my top off a few days ago and have no problems. I also cut the back seat out (the bottom part of the seat) so I can leave the body clipped on and still put the battery in and out, press the power button, and connect the esc tune cable.

I carry it outside by grabbing the roll cage and roll over on it and it is fine. I even cut the middle off of the top of the roll cage in the section over the back seat so it is easer to get in there with the battery. I have been trying to ruin it as a reason to buy a c10 body because I did such a bad paint job and not that into jeep but so far no luck. Feels like it will last a while.

I did take an earlier post advice and reamed the holes to put the door handles all the way through both pieces. Not sure that makes much difference in support because there is plenty front and back with just the 4 screws but it does keep the sides held in tight. It is solid and the roll bars are a bit flexible so I don't think they will crack.
three86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:13 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Did you cut with a hobby knife or dremmel style tool? I want to remove my hard top and paint it black so I can to back and forth with it off or on....
bigcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:38 AM   #26

I cut with a dremel ingraving bit on low speed then sander bit to clean up. If you want to save the top check the body section of these forums there is a sticky post on cutting with thread.

I still haven't destroyed my jeep body or roll bars yet it is the same condition despite plenty of roll overs. I did order a proline power wagon body for it and I also have the baha bug body for scx10.2 coming. Not sure which one I will put on which chassis. I took some stuff off the scx10.3 like the chassis fenders and side skids today then put the 14t pinion back and was driving it without the body. Fast turns were not as easy to roll over as expected and climbs better. I think tomorrow I am going to cut the rest of the jeep top off + windshield and take off the body fenders to make it more like an axial deadbolt.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #27

here are some pics. The copper color was supposed to be purple and the drips look like birds attacked. That will teach me to test spray.

Old 08-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #28

chopped the rest of the top and the back too. It drives a lot better with more weight to the front. I could probably use a piece of the top to close off the back of the seats. The rear brake lights fit in that area snugly.

Old 08-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxuxrxf View Post
Here’s mine. I’m not that stoked on the colors now that it’s done. That’s a full size spare tire with the foam removed for weight and better fit.
TIP ... Attach the front door handles to the interior wall panel and the body will be much sturdier. The rear handle doesn’t line up like the front, but I was still able to secure it to the interior by replacing the O ring with a larger diameter washer, then the clip to secure together.
Great tip. I have been meaning to look into ways to improve it and that seems simple enough
TheDirtywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:48 AM   #30

The cage is as solid as plastic can get, I wouldn't trust the way it is mounted to the interior. I would love to be able to make it out of aluminum or something.
johnrennainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtywheel View Post
Super happy with how this came out
I love the Rhino Lining on the doors. Super creative!!
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:09 PM   #32

oldnfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #33
Rock Stacker

This is the SCX10 II Blazer RTR, body weights 320g which is pretty good.

How much does the SCX10 III body weight without the roof?
Is it smaller and lighter than the Blazer body if you think it as an performance upgrade?

Egsise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egsise View Post
This is the SCX10 II Blazer RTR, body weights 320g which is pretty good.

How much does the SCX10 III body weight without the roof?
Is it smaller and lighter than the Blazer body if you think it as an performance upgrade?

Just removing the hard top area saves about 80 grams. However, the body itself is still quite heavy, especially with the interior and roll cage. My body without the hard top weighs 454 grams. I also have the TrickRC light kit on mine with the headlights, light ring and tail lights in the body. I also have the controller mounted on the underside of the interior, so I imagine my weight is greater than those who cut the top but don't have lights.

As the hard top is up high, it does lower CG. So it is a bit of a performance upgrade vs stock SCX10.3 Wrangler. In my case, I preferred the scale look of no top with lights, so performance wasn't primary concern.

Relative to the Blazer, I don't anticipate you'd have any performance benefit going to the Wrangler with a cut top. The lights and controller would have to weigh ~130 grams just for you to break even vs the Blazer. My overall stock SCX10.3 was 2433 grams with a 2s5000mah battery. Currently it is 3633 grams, but I've got the lights I mentioned, portal weights on each wheel and vanquish metal wheels with hyrax tires from my original weight.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:41 AM   #35

Been a while since I posted here, there's been a few changes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by FLcrwlr; 02-04-2021 at 05:44 AM.
FLcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Anyone going topless? Cut tops? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VP axle tops OFFROADRCKOREA Axial XR10 0 04-16-2019 12:32 AM
Dove cut, bobbed, cut, chopped, you name it its been threw it... California Raisin... Madjones Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 11-17-2014 09:07 AM
who makes tops? sambosque Paint and Body 4 08-19-2011 02:52 PM
Snug Tops? Does anybody have any? nuts4rc Scale Accessories 17 01-30-2009 03:10 AM