Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Can XERUN AXE 550 motor fit the body without cutting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 10:10 AM   #1

Default Can XERUN AXE 550 motor fit the body without cutting?

I am thinking of buying AXE 550 motor and ESC combo in SCX10 iii.

Would it fit the body just without the engine cover?

or Even without the engine cover, some parts need to be cut off for that big motor to be mounted?

Anyone can show some pictures if the same motor or the similar size motor is installed?
Veteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Can XERUN AXE 550 motor fit the body without cutting?

Check out this video, he asked the same question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--U84g4ZHDk&t=490s
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:17 AM   #3

I’m running a Trailmaster 550 in mine and I didn’t have to do any mods at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dman79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the AXE 550 3300kv motor in my SCX10 III and I did have to trim the brace between the frame rails.

Where the screw goes in to secure the fan belt causes the motor to be at an angle. I could not get the motor to sit flush for the pinion to mesh correctly with the spur. I used a dremel and grinded out that area for the motor to seat level.

Now a guy at my LHS said somebody else was able to get that motor to fit without modification. I am thinking maybe he had the 540 or something as I could not get it to seat level without grinding out that fan belt mount hole.

I am not using the faux engine cover either as my wires are pointing straight up. Since I only see the engine with the body off I don't care personally.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Check out this video, he asked the same question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--U84g4ZHDk&t=490s
Thanks, it is 550, but it seems a little smaller than axe 550.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman79 View Post
I’m running a Trailmaster 550 in mine and I didn’t have to do any mods at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it a little smaller than AXE550motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
I have the AXE 550 3300kv motor in my SCX10 III and I did have to trim the brace between the frame rails.

Where the screw goes in to secure the fan belt causes the motor to be at an angle. I could not get the motor to sit flush for the pinion to mesh correctly with the spur. I used a dremel and grinded out that area for the motor to seat level.
If I am not going to use the engine cover and fan belt anyway, the part that should be drilled out is useless? Am I right? I would not hesitate to trim a part that is useless.

Quote:
Now a guy at my LHS said somebody else was able to get that motor to fit without modification. I am thinking maybe he had the 540 or something as I could not get it to seat level without grinding out that fan belt mount hole.
Probably difference between brushed 550 and brushless 550?

Quote:
I am not using the faux engine cover either as my wires are pointing straight up. Since I only see the engine with the body off I don't care personally.
I'm not going to use the engine cover anyway either. Then, trimming should cause no effect as it's unnecessary part?
Old 05-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I wrote out this long post to describe and then decided a picture is worth a thousand words!

Basically the can is a bit too long and hits the edge where the fake fan belt is bolted into. This is a round plastic bump that has a hole in it for the fan screw to go into. I had to grind this down which does not weaken the brace but allows the front part of the motor to sit down so that it is not at an angle preventing you from getting proper mesh with the pinion / spur. I hope these crappy pics help.

Also the wires for the motor and sensor wire are not very long. If you plan to use the side battery mount option it won't fit as the ESC will be in that location as it is the only place it will fit. You may want to order the extension wires with the motor as the closest place you can mount it has the sensor wires a bit tight. Not so tight as there will be an issue, just no real room left to move the wires anywhere but up and over the motor / wheel well covers. This is the kit: https://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=649&filter_attr=

Last edited by $uicide $hift; 05-01-2020 at 05:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
I wrote out this long post to describe and then decided a picture is worth a thousand words!

Basically the can is a bit too long and hits the edge where the fake fan belt is bolted into. This is a round plastic bump that has a hole in it for the fan screw to go into. I had to grind this down which does not weaken the brace but allows the front part of the motor to sit down so that it is not at an angle preventing you from getting proper mesh with the pinion / spur. I hope these crappy pics help.

Also the wires for the motor and sensor wire are not very long. If you plan to use the side battery mount option it won't fit as the ESC will be in that location as it is the only place it will fit. You may want to order the extension wires with the motor as the closest place you can mount it has the sensor wires a bit tight. Not so tight as there will be an issue, just no real room left to move the wires anywhere but up and over the motor / wheel well covers. This is the kit: https://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=649&filter_attr=
Wow! Thanks a lot!

Would the length of the chassis make difference to the extent one should trim?

I saw many pics of AXE 550 motor mounted in scx10 iii, but all cars seem to have been trimmed with different extents. Is it just because skill levels are different? or the length of chassis or something else would matter?

Last edited by Veteran; 05-01-2020 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
Wow! Thanks a lot!

Would the length of the chassis make difference to the extent one should trim?

I saw many pics of AXE 550 motor mounted in scx10 iii, but all cars seem to have been trimmed with different extents. Is it just because skill levels are different? or the length of chassis or something else would matter?
That I am not sure of. I only have seen the one I built with this motor so far. When rigs get longer links they are usually the rear that are longer. I don't believe Axial has released the other link sets to make any other wheel base other than 12.3 right now. Because of this I will go with different skill levels as you stated.

I know for me the biggest piece blocking me was the middle round plastic mold part that the fan belt screws into. This I just ground down and out completely. I took a bit off the other hole there and just a bit behind both of those pieces until I could get it to sit flush across the brace.

Can XERUN AXE 550 motor fit the body without cutting? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing Xerun AXE Jboucher Electronics 565 06-27-2023 05:45 AM
AXE 550 motor upgrade for TRX6 cbope Multi Axle Rigs 5 05-12-2020 08:22 PM
RC4WD Gelande Defender / Hobbywing Xerun Axe TerryTurnip 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 04-04-2019 04:07 AM
IN STOCK Hobbywing XeRun AXE ESC FOC System Combo w/ AXE540 Motor 1800kv RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 06-25-2018 10:54 AM