Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: PowerShift Technologies light setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2020, 05:52 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Thumbs up PowerShift Technologies light setup

I am really liking the Powershift Technologies light kits. Very good quality and easy plug into balance port of battery. No need to use the Batt / Bind port on receiver. I also ordered the light controller so I could turn the lights all off / on.

Here is the headlight / tail light kit along with the rock light kit. I did not get the instrument panel kit they sell. Maybe down the road but that part does not interest me. Next is a nice 6" LED light bar for the roof!

$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2020, 07:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: PowerShift Technologies light setup

Very nice. I have a set of lights and rock lights coming for mine. Jonathan is a great builder and really cares about quality and customers.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:19 PM   #3

Been wanting to get a set of lights, these look nice. Website is sparse though on info for a newbie like me. What do I need to 1.)power and 2.) Control with a channel (on\off) the OEM kit and rock light kit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
becma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by becma27 View Post
Been wanting to get a set of lights, these look nice. Website is sparse though on info for a newbie like me. What do I need to 1.)power and 2.) Control with a channel (on\off) the OEM kit and rock light kit?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
1. For power these plug directly into the balance port of your 2S or 3S battery. When checking out choose option "3 Cell Jst setup/ With plug for body lights (+$6.00)" or the 2 cell option. This will give you 4 JST for the 4 rock lights and a 5th JST to plug the headlight / taillight into. From here you plug the entire setup into your balance port. Rock Lights & Headlight / Taillight

2. You can purchase the remote control for 5.00. Now you can ask if PST can solder this up for you or you can solder in the controller between the Balance Port plug and the JST pigtail so that it operates all lights plugged into the pigtail. This is what I did when I received them.

The controller also has light modes that make them flash in various sequences where you can adjust the mode, speed, and brightness.

You don't need the controller. You can also just not plug them in if running during the day and plug them in when it is dark out.

Those are the three items I purchased above and it was all plug and play except for wiring in the controller to control all lights. If you ask in the comments of the order he may solder this in for you so it is all plug and play. Does not hurt to ask.

***EDIT***

I just noticed he has a switch to install for using an extra channel in your radio to turn the lights on and off. You won't get the controller that lets you make the lights blink and adjust their brightness but that may not be something you care about. Either way this PST 2 Position Switch Will allow you to turn them on off via your transmitter and provide a full 12V to the lighting system!

You may just need to ask that the rock light and other light systems are soldered to join up to this switch so it will be plug and play for you. He may do that automatically when you add that switch to your cart but to be sure add a memo in the comments of the order.

Last edited by $uicide $hift; 05-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-02-2020, 09:01 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
Very nice. I have a set of lights and rock lights coming for mine. Jonathan is a great builder and really cares about quality and customers.
Agreed! He was great to deal with and the lights running directly off the LiPo allow them to go full bright which is BRIGHT! The lights that plug into a receiver with no BEC to get more volts to them are just not nearly as bright.

The solder / shrink wrap work on these wire kits is extremely clean and solid. The man has some talent when it comes to soldering these kits up.

My son just got the Team Raffee Cherokee truck body and for just $10.00 he'll get two front white / 2 front orange and two rear red / 2 rear orange that fit that body. I will be putting in a new order for this when I figure out exactly what else I want.
Old 05-11-2020, 09:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Love how mine turned out.

Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:14 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Those add a really nice touch! I’ll be ordering a set in the near future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:07 AM   #8

I'm new to crawling so please forgive me if I'm asking silly questions. I like these light setups and will likely get these for my truck. What is the benefit/need for the rock lights? I'm assuming these are only useful at night time, correct?

I currently run my 2s shorty batteries with bullet plugs that don't have a balance plug. Would I just cut off the jst connector and solder to the bullet plugs?
jmitchell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmitchell13 View Post
I'm new to crawling so please forgive me if I'm asking silly questions. I like these light setups and will likely get these for my truck. What is the benefit/need for the rock lights? I'm assuming these are only useful at night time, correct?

I currently run my 2s shorty batteries with bullet plugs that don't have a balance plug. Would I just cut off the jst connector and solder to the bullet plugs?
Rock lights are used in 1:1 rigs to provide light around your tires. This allows the "spotter" to see exactly where the tires are and the terrain in front of it so they can guide the driver. If you ever run your truck at night they are great. If you never see yourself running your truck in the dark it would just be a fun upgrade and cool with no real use. You will not see the lights during the day or bright indoor lighting.

You have a few choices to connect these lights to your rig with your 2S battery that does not have a balance port.

1. Buy a balance port and solder it along with the + / - wires to the battery posts you plug into your battery. I have a few like this for that style type of battery.

2. Buy a new 3S battery that has a balance port!

3. Purchase the PST - Light Booster. Using 2 cell the LEDs will not go as bright as they can. With this option you can plug one end into your receiver and the other to the lights. It will boost the power to 12V for the LEDs so they will be full bright. No need to connect lights to a balance port with this option.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
Rock lights are used in 1:1 rigs to provide light around your tires. This allows the "spotter" to see exactly where the tires are and the terrain in front of it so they can guide the driver. If you ever run your truck at night they are great. If you never see yourself running your truck in the dark it would just be a fun upgrade and cool with no real use. You will not see the lights during the day or bright indoor lighting.

You have a few choices to connect these lights to your rig with your 2S battery that does not have a balance port.

1. Buy a balance port and solder it along with the + / - wires to the battery posts you plug into your battery. I have a few like this for that style type of battery.

2. Buy a new 3S battery that has a balance port!

3. Purchase the PST - Light Booster. Using 2 cell the LEDs will not go as bright as they can. With this option you can plug one end into your receiver and the other to the lights. It will boost the power to 12V for the LEDs so they will be full bright. No need to connect lights to a balance port with this option.
Thanks! I'll check out the boost option.
jmitchell13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Hey guys, I've got a quick question. I recently picked up the LED set below. I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my first crawler. The description says it's completely plug and play right out of the bag. I plugged it into the receiver on my TRX4 Sport and the lights won't turn on. I am running a 3S battery and the FlySky GT5 with the FS-BS6 receiver. Don't I just plug the JST port into the receiver and these lights should turn on? Or am I missing something?

https://www.amainhobbies.com/powersh...wr-068/p797389
Scale Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scale Build View Post
Hey guys, I've got a quick question. I recently picked up the LED set below. I'm fairly new to the hobby and this is my first crawler. The description says it's completely plug and play right out of the bag. I plugged it into the receiver on my TRX4 Sport and the lights won't turn on. I am running a 3S battery and the FlySky GT5 with the FS-BS6 receiver. Don't I just plug the JST port into the receiver and these lights should turn on? Or am I missing something?
The lights are wired to run off 12V or a 3S battery directly. Plugging them into the receiver will only send 6V to the lights because your ESC steps down the voltage going into your receiver. It is quite easy to solder a power tap onto your ESC’s battery plug but if you are looking for a more plug and play option, use the Powershift step up module linked in the Amain page or use a pass through connector with a power tap like this:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/powersh...iABEgJ0v_D_BwE

I used an XT60 power tap as an example but you can get something similar in pretty much any connector that you may be using.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the response! I actually gave them a call and spoke to someone at Powershift. They recommended that I get this. It should boost the power to 12V and allow me to control the lights (on/off) with the radio. I ordered it, hopefully it will work!

https://store11415794.ecwid.com/PST-...itch-p85299057
Scale Build is offline   Reply With Quote

PowerShift Technologies light setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
powershift light booster required? Tempo Electronics 1 11-29-2019 11:12 AM
Powershift RC FastMatt Electronics 4 09-16-2018 10:44 PM
H3 Hummer Bully Dog Technologies mp3ranger 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 05-29-2011 11:56 AM
Light or heavy? What is your setup? Pappy EnRoute Berg 20 07-31-2009 10:29 PM