Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Reciever Mounting Solutions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 12:10 PM   #1

Default Reciever Mounting Solutions

So I went with the Spektrum DX5C and a SR6100AT combo. Get ready to wire it up and realize that the receiver is to big for the box. Curious what solutions others have gone to , or how they creatively approached this? My biggest issue I guess is that I really want to use the small battery mount on the side as it seems everyone feels that helps the Jeep's crawling tremendously with the weight low and forward....

I remember someone mentioning this but I have searched and cant find it...also when through the thread about electronics placement and looked at others setups.

Last edited by TheDirtywheel; 06-05-2020 at 12:14 PM.
TheDirtywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Reciever Mounting Solutions

I used some servo tape and stuck it to one of the inner fenders.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Pretty much what GA Dawg said. You can shave down the posts sticking up where the ESC mounts to and double tape it there. That receiver is listed as (Water-resistant "Realkote" coating protects electronics). As long as you are not submerging the receiver you should be OK. If you are worried about water get the SR515 as it appears that box was made for that specific receiver although others will fit. When I build I like to build it bone stock first as per the manual, play with it, and then make changes as I see fit. Due to this I went and bought the receiver that fit that box. Never a bad idea to have a spare receiver laying around.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
Pretty much what GA Dawg said. You can shave down the posts sticking up where the ESC mounts to and double tape it there. That receiver is listed as (Water-resistant "Realkote" coating protects electronics). As long as you are not submerging the receiver you should be OK. If you are worried about water get the SR515 as it appears that box was made for that specific receiver although others will fit. When I build I like to build it bone stock first as per the manual, play with it, and then make changes as I see fit. Due to this I went and bought the receiver that fit that box. Never a bad idea to have a spare receiver laying around.
Thanks. I contemplated a new reciever. First I thought I was being slick and I mounted the long tray on the rear and dremeled of the battery lol so it was a flat piece. Laid everything out and thought it looked great... Only to realize the 6100AT says that it must be flat or perpendicular...
Old 06-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It needs to be flat or perpendicular to use the avc function. Also be sure to deactivate that feature or you’ll run into the same problem I had.
I was going to use the 6100at in my rig, even bought the ssd fuel cell receiver box but didn’t want to mount that on the side and it’s not waterproof. To run it in the back would require lengthening all the servo wires.. no thanks.
I ended up acquiring a sr410 receiver so I went that route but now I have no extra channels for winch or accessories later.
Fail on Axial/Horizon in my opinion for making the box that small.
I’m using the 6100at in my trx4 now and a guy here adapted a trx4 box to his 10.3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
It needs to be flat or perpendicular to use the avc function. Also be sure to deactivate that feature or you’ll run into the same problem I had.
I was going to use the 6100at in my rig, even bought the ssd fuel cell receiver box but didn’t want to mount that on the side and it’s not waterproof. To run it in the back would require lengthening all the servo wires.. no thanks.
I ended up acquiring a sr410 receiver so I went that route but now I have no extra channels for winch or accessories later.
Fail on Axial/Horizon in my opinion for making the box that small.
I’m using the 6100at in my trx4 now and a guy here adapted a trx4 box to his 10.3

Awesome super helpful... Let me ask specifics so I'm sure I understand. If I am turning off AVC it doesn't have to be flat? My hobby shop days there was no need for AVC in a crawler... Is that true?

I also bought a TRX4 box ... I'll try to post a pick
Old 06-05-2020, 05:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtywheel View Post
Awesome super helpful... Let me ask specifics so I'm sure I understand. If I am turning off AVC it doesn't have to be flat? My hobby shop days there was no need for AVC in a crawler... Is that true?

I'm not 100% positive on that but I'm pretty sure. I had avc turned off on my radio but when I would touch or move the receiver, the steering would go crazy. so I assume that is why it needs to be flat or perpendicular. There's a sequence to deactivate that feature. I do not think there's a need for it. I figured it was for high speed stuff or aviation maybe.

I did not end up using the 6100at in my 10.3 its in my trx4, I'm using a SR410 spektrum receiver
Old 06-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Reciever Mounting Solutions

I drew up a mounting plate and used a Traxxas box held down with 3M dual Lock .

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 06-05-2020 at 10:53 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I went about it the old-fashioned way. I took some measurements, cut them out on a sheet of delrin, and screwed it all together. I made a shelf for the RX and ESC. I got plans for the small battery tray.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
FlatLander72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thanks for posting that up mikemcE I couldn’t remember who it was.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirtywheel View Post

With AVC disabled the receiver can be laid in any orientation you like. There is absolutely NO need for AVC in a crawler. In fact if you have AVC enabled you will be posting here asking why the steering behaves oddly.

AVC is the same as AS3X in airplanes basically. It senses the rigs movement and performs auto corrections to steering and throttle to keep the rig from loosing control. This is used for high speed RCs that are difficult to drive at higher speeds. Slow speeds or non racing speeds like crawlers will get NO benefit from AVC.

The reason it has to be horizontal or vertical when AVC is active is due to the receiver needing to know when the rig is flat or on an incline / decline. Orientation is very important when using an AVC or AS3X receiver as the gyro needs to know what is level and straight before it can make correct adjustments when the rig is moving in a direction you are not telling to go with your transmitter.

With the Airplane it does the same thing. If you are flying straight and level the gyro needs to know what straight and level is. This way if a gust of wind tries to move your plane the AS3X gyro will automatically move your ailerons, elevator, rudder, and throttle to keep it flying straight. Any movement detected by the system without any input from the transmitter is corrected for you. Works great for smaller light planes that get pushed around in light wind.

Last edited by $uicide $hift; 06-05-2020 at 07:57 PM.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #12

Here is what I went with...just like others above and a traxxas box. I dremeled the edge off the rear battery tray.

Reciever Mounting Solutions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery and Reciever Mounting Options SpecE30Racer Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 0 01-29-2016 11:08 AM
Esc and Reciever mounting.. Knoc Axial AX-10 Scorpion 25 02-09-2010 12:58 PM
My new RC solutions chassis joe dierte Venom Creeper 24 01-17-2010 11:33 PM
RC Solutions chassis- Anyone know/use it?? Mayze Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 03-01-2009 04:31 PM