Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Custom Axial SCX10.3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Default Custom Axial SCX10.3

Hello,

New to the forum, looking for some answers to a question I can’t find on the net.

I’m looking to build a Axial SCX10.3.

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Traxxas TRX4 axles will fit under the kit, I’d like to build a SCX10.3 with 2-speed, Dig, & front/read remote locking diffs.

In a perfect world I would be able to put the axles and servos from my TRX4 into the JLU build a awesome crawler, then swap the Axial axles into the TRX4 and build a mud bogging beast!

Thanks for the help!
Bowtiewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 AM   #2

Default Re: Custom Axial SCX10.3

Any one with the kit, can they get me these dimensions? I can pair them up with my existing TRX4 kit.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:09 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Ooh, fun idea.

I can't help you much. I do wonder though if the 10.3's off centre front driveshaft would be a problem for the TRX 4 axles, and suspension link clearance. The 10.3 already has a funky panhard bar.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
Ooh, fun idea.

I can't help you much. I do wonder though if the 10.3's off centre front driveshaft would be a problem for the TRX 4 axles, and suspension link clearance. The 10.3 already has a funky panhard bar.
Yes! I think it would be awesome, a 6 channel RX is a bit hard to come by but I think the FLYSKY has decent reviews.

I have been talking with AXIAL tech support, they are looking into getting me the dimensions I need, but they actually reminded me I can buy the housing halves and just try to bolt them into to my TRX4.

can anyone confirm, the Part numbers for the front and rear housings halves?

Thanks,
Joe
Old 06-17-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtiewarrior View Post
Yes! I think it would be awesome, a 6 channel RX is a bit hard to come by but I think the FLYSKY has decent reviews.

I have been talking with AXIAL tech support, they are looking into getting me the dimensions I need, but they actually reminded me I can buy the housing halves and just try to bolt them into to my TRX4.

can anyone confirm, the Part numbers for the front and rear housings halves?

Thanks,
Joe
got the 6 cnl flysky with my Axe rig. Nice radio no doubt. Not used anything but the first 2 chnls so far. lol but I don't have dig, 2 speed, lights, winch yet either. However I am sure it will be good.

I also grabbed the Radio Link RS6FG Tx/Rx (few rxs). It is also a very nice radio for the 70ish dollar tag for the radio and one rx. additional rxs are cheap and its HEAVY on Settings. Every channel has a number of adjustments and all channels can be mixed. the new 7 chnl rx also give Rig Battery Level Telemetry (22-25.00 for the 7 chnl rx)
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

As far as the II or III I have no Exp with either. My last Axial was the orig AX10 Scorpion. LOL

But I did grab 2 of the SSD (ax10II upgraded kits) and they are nice but have upgrades.
SO I basically have 2 SCX10II kits. lol in some way, both are still being built.

Been looking at the III myself. Thought about the TRX Locking diffs myself.
I don't have a III to measure but the dimensions should be available on the website to compare to the TRX axles.
Old 06-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
got the 6 cnl flysky with my Axe rig. Nice radio no doubt. Not used anything but the first 2 chnls so far. lol but I don't have dig, 2 speed, lights, winch yet either. However I am sure it will be good.

I also grabbed the Radio Link RS6FG Tx/Rx (few rxs). It is also a very nice radio for the 70ish dollar tag for the radio and one rx. additional rxs are cheap and its HEAVY on Settings. Every channel has a number of adjustments and all channels can be mixed. the new 7 chnl rx also give Rig Battery Level Telemetry (22-25.00 for the 7 chnl rx)
Thanks for the vote of confidence towards the Flysky equipment. I am for sure going to end up going with them for my 6 CHNL set up assuming I can sort out the F/R remote locking diffs.

Quote:
As far as the II or III I have no Exp with either. My last Axial was the orig AX10 Scorpion. LOL

But I did grab 2 of the SSD (ax10II upgraded kits) and they are nice but have upgrades.
SO I basically have 2 SCX10II kits. lol in some way, both are still being built.

Been looking at the III myself. Thought about the TRX Locking diffs myself.
I don't have a III to measure but the dimensions should be available on the website to compare to the TRX axles.

I was able to confirm the part numbers from Axial, I ordered them from my local shop, I suspect they will arrive in about a week or so. I will attempt to install the housing halves in my TRX4 & fingers crossed they fit, if they do then I am going to pick up the SCX10.3 kit in the next few weeks and start that build!

Thanks for the help, photos to come!

Joe
Old 06-22-2020, 07:45 PM   #8

Update:

I received the SCX10.3 front housing 1/2. Removed my TRX4 front axle and connected the hosing 1/2.

I am fairly confident that the TRX4 axles will fit under the SCX10.3 chassis, all of the links fall in similar locations, however the length of the links will need to modified.

The upper link would need to be shorter and the lower links would need to be lengthened to correct the driveshaft angle as well as bring the castor and steering angle back to normal.

Things I am a worried about:
1)I will need to lengthen the steering link, if it’s not parallel and of similar length to the track bar It will end up with bad bump steer, and I would think that can eat servos..
2)I will need to get longer and shorter links, I feel like sourcing them is going to be hard.
3)The rod ends links on the TRX4 are a a bit thinner, and the shocks on the TRX4 are a bit wider so that will need to be addressed.

I would post photos but I’m not sure I can, and I’m also not 100% sure how to.

I think I’m going to take on the challenge, I might grab the SCX10.3 next week.

More to come!
Joe
Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait to see your results and how much was involved. Keep us updated!
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
I can't wait to see your results and how much was involved. Keep us updated!
Thanks,

I think it should be pretty cool once it is complete, it will be like a real Rubicon.

Have you read/heard/seen anything about the steering link/trackbar change on these little rigs? I know in full size trucks the trackbar/panhard is typically responsible for all of the problems (death wobble & bump steer)

Joe
Old 06-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks,

I think it should be pretty cool once it is complete, it will be like a real Rubicon.

Have you read/heard/seen anything about the steering link/trackbar change on these little rigs? I know in full size trucks the trackbar/panhard is typically responsible for all of the problems (death wobble & bump steer)

Joe
I have not seen or heard of anything about the steering link / trackbar change. The only thing I recall is the talk of changing the transmission gears so that both sides have the curved recess in future releases.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 06:20 AM   #12

Update: "Real Rubicon 10.3"

Here is the build so far:
HH 3500KV Puller Pro
Castle MambaX
3Brothers G11 Str servo
Savox SH0262MG Dig servo
AGFrc 9G (amazon specials) Fr/RR diff servo
Traxxas 2065 2-Speed
Vanquish bead lock wheels
RC4WD 1.9 TSL swamper boggers
TRX4 Front and Rear Axles
Flysky 6ch RX/TX

Building the kit was an adventure, anyone that is going to build one I HIGHLY recommend you read through the sticky thread, it was super helpful, because the directions are not very clear at all.

1)I can confirm you will need a 3MM tap, the shock towers are not tapped, the holes strip if you try to crank the screw in by hand.
2)Be sure to have a MM ruler, there is nothing for reference in the manual and the packs of screws do not make any sense.

On to the questions:
I have the TRX4 axles mounted up, but because I used a combination of factory TRX4 and 10.3 links to set them up I am not sure if I am even close to the correct locations for the wheel base or even location of the axles in relation to the wheels wells of the body/fenders.

If possible, can someone that has a 10.3 measure the wheel base, center of the front wheel to the center of the rear wheel?

I need measurements from:
Rear lower link mount chassis to the center of the Rear wheel.
Front lower link mount to center of the front wheel.
(There are 2 screws that hold the transmission to the belly that would be a easy spot to use as the "center" )

Lastly if possible, if someone can post a clear photo of the front shock position in relation to the axle, I know the factory kit the front shocks are mounted at an angle but I am unsure how drastic that angle is.

After I get the axles set up 100% Its time to mount electronics... that should be a fun adventure!

Thanks for the help,
Bowtie

Last edited by Bowtiewarrior; 07-23-2020 at 11:17 AM. Reason: added detail
Old 07-22-2020, 06:29 AM   #13

Last edited by Bowtiewarrior; 07-23-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: better photo links
Old 07-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Just got my kit last week. It's still in the box.
Sounds like you've made decent progress so far.

Sorry I can't be more help atm.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:31 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Not sure if your post today was supposed to be a pic, but it shows nothing.

If you want to post pics. use a site like Imagur to host the pics, then copy the BB Medium Link for the pics and use that link to post in your comment.

that will allow the forum to show the pictures.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Not sure if your post today was supposed to be a pic, but it shows nothing.

If you want to post pics. use a site like Imagur to host the pics, then copy the BB Medium Link for the pics and use that link to post in your comment.

that will allow the forum to show the pictures.
Thanks for the heads up, I used google photos and tried to post them but I guess it didn't work.

I will have to get a Imagur account, and set it up that way.

Bowtie
Old 07-22-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I used to have Photobucket. But they deleted a crap load of my pics. Because I am OVER LIMIT with their NEW Pay For hosting site.
I should sue them under the Grandfather Clause of Contracts. But meh. They are dying and going out of business faster every day. That will have todo.

I am using imgbb to host pics
here is one of the BB Medium link pics that is somewhat fitting to your post anyways. lol

www.imgbb.com
Old 07-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #18

Quote:
I used to have Photobucket. But they deleted a crap load of my pics. Because I am OVER LIMIT with their NEW Pay For hosting site.
I should sue them under the Grandfather Clause of Contracts. But meh. They are dying and going out of business faster every day. That will have todo.

I am using imgbb to host pics
here is one of the BB Medium link pics that is somewhat fitting to your post anyways.
Thank you, I just updated the photos let me now if you can see them.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:40 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thank you, I just updated the photos let me now if you can see them.
Chrystal clear! looks like she nearly ready for rockin.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Chrystal clear! looks like she nearly ready for rockin.
Not yet, I still need to sort out the above measurements, I know wheel base is long, and I know the front axle location isn't correct. I reached out to Axial/Horizon to see if I can get some answers and they were NOT helpful, their response was actually pretty lame.

I asked about factory measurement based on poor directions on the factory build and not placing the appropriate links in the right location, and they told me that they don't have any measurements, and just build it like the directions say to.

I checked with my local hobby shop, they didn't have an RTR I could measure, I might extend my search to surrounding towns to try to find a truck to measure.

Hindsight = I should have built it factory THEN modified it after I took the measurements I needed.
Bowtie.