Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 III without portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2020, 08:11 AM   #21

Default Re: Axial SCX10 III without portals

They're all offset to the driver side to my knowledge, just offset different amounts. There may be other reasons that VQ OCP can't run on the trail king though, I haven't looked at that combo at all.

I've seen on FB that people are starting to look at vanquish OCP axles + 10.3 chassis, but no results yet.
Munchagepeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchagepeople View Post
They're all offset to the driver side to my knowledge, just offset different amounts. There may be other reasons that VQ OCP can't run on the trail king though, I haven't looked at that combo at all.
Vanquish and AR45 axles both mount the upper link on the opposite side of the driveshaft while the Trail King axles run the upper link on the same side of the driveshaft. There is not enough room to fit the upper link and the driveshaft on the same side with the SCXII and VFD equiped VS410s which is why the Trail King axles won't work.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Vanquish and AR45 axles both mount the upper link on the opposite side of the driveshaft while the Trail King axles run the upper link on the same side of the driveshaft. There is not enough room to fit the upper link and the driveshaft on the same side with the SCXII and VFD equiped VS410s which is why the Trail King axles won't work.
That's a great point - thanks! Unfortunately it does mean one of my ideas involving buying a 10.3, stealing its axles and replacing them with something not as pricey as vanquish is a bust for now :(
Old 08-21-2020, 08:59 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Have you seen anyone do this successfully?

The offset on the ar45 axles looks similar to vanquish offsets, and the one attempt I've seen with VS4-10 + SSD offset axles here on RCC was unsuccessful due to driveline & link interference. Different chassis I know, but similar enough to make me concerned that similar issues would be hit
If you're referring to my post in the VS4-10 section where I tried to use an SSD offset front axle on my VFD-equipped VS4-10 chassis, please take into consideration that I was (and still I am) kind of a newbie. I'm sure others have made it work. It probably just requires some ingenuity. I wasn't in the mood to go all MacGyver on that rig at the time. I've seen guys use a bent or severely spaced-over front upper link to gain the needed clearance when attempting to use other brands of offset axles. Also, you will probably have to make your own panhard bar. You are sort of re-engineering it though, so your results may vary.
boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
If you're referring to my post in the VS4-10 section where I tried to use an SSD offset front axle on my VFD-equipped VS4-10 chassis, please take into consideration that I was (and still I am) kind of a newbie. I'm sure others have made it work. It probably just requires some ingenuity. I wasn't in the mood to go all MacGyver on that rig at the time. I've seen guys use a bent or severely spaced-over front upper link to gain the needed clearance when attempting to use other brands of offset axles. Also, you will probably have to make your own panhard bar. You are sort of re-engineering it though, so your results may vary.
That was the attempt I was thinking of, but mr svt923 made a very good point above about the driver-side upper link mount and ssd offset tubes. It sounds to me like either a new tube design (with the mount built-in) from SSD or some fab work to add one to existing tubes would be required.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Any word on the non portal ar45’s? Anyone actually try the ssd offset axles?

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:17 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
Any word on the non portal ar45’s?

Lou
Last night on Harleys stream Randal from Axial was asked when they are coming and replied "yes"

yes they're a thing, yes they're coming, yes its still under NDA lol
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 05:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Last night on Harleys stream Randal from Axial was asked when they are coming and replied "yes"

yes they're a thing, yes they're coming, yes its still under NDA lol
Coming soon? probably will be released next year
Paul_crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Glad to hear a non portal option is on the way, might pick one up then.
dirk379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Straight axle conversion is now on Horizon’s site

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...AXI238000.html
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Damn... I just got rid of my 10.3

I think this might be a great axle set to start a custom build from.
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #32

They're saying 45 degree steering, I wonder what that'll be modifiable to.

$170 for front + rear complete axles and 4 shocks seems like a great deal to me -- take-off ar44 axles seem to go for $110+ still on the open market. Even better if they can work with a VS4-10 + VFD (for comparison just the front offset D44 housing from VP is $190)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:47 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I see some Ascender style wheel hexes with the screw pin lol

Also when did they stop using the hexes with the step? I always disliked those.

Looks like a well thought out kit for the conversion.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Available for preorder now.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...192020_SURFACE
Sydwaiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 11:31 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They're saying 45 degree steering, I wonder what that'll be modifiable to.

$170 for front + rear complete axles and 4 shocks seems like a great deal to me -- take-off ar44 axles seem to go for $110+ still on the open market. Even better if they can work with a VS4-10 + VFD (for comparison just the front offset D44 housing from VP is $190)

Buy an SCX10 3 starting from 400 $ as kit then pay almost the price of an SCX10 2 Raw Builders kit to get straight axles. There is something I am not seeing here.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:12 PM   #36
RCC Addict

The quality of this kit over the raw builders kit is night and day.
And I can only assume that they will eventually incorporate these axles into a kit or rtr version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:30 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Complete noob here so maybe a dumb question - what would be the overall benefit of this from someone starting at 'zero' - (just getting an SCx102 to start with). What is meant by the night and day difference in the conversion axle versus the kit axle? I'm comparing the description of the builder's kit with the upgrade kit and any differences are going right over my head lol. Both have metal links, hardened axles, 45 degree steering etc...is it the shocks? $370 (10.3 kit) plus $170 (conversion) comes to $540 - there's a lot of upgrade monies between that and the $200 10.2 kit. Thinking I could do some damage with the $340 or so difference. Unless this is just being marketed towards guys that already own a 10.3 and can't stand the portals, I get that. Although I'd probably just sell my 10.3 and 'downgrade' haha.

Sorry if that is a dumb comparison/analysis, I'm in the market for a new crawler so still working through the pros & cons of each.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Straight axle conversion is now on Horizon’s site

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...AXI238000.html
This is a "scam"...not a scam in the literal sense of the word to but Horizon Hobby scamming their customers. In other words, it's a marketing ploy, cooked up by company executives, for no other purpose than to make more money. I'm not saying that making money is a 'bad' thing...after all, to companies are in business to make money. However, when companies make decisions purely for the purpose of additional profit, and having complete disregard for their customers, that's something I will NEVER agree with.

I'm willing to bet that, before the SCX10-III was ever released...heck, before the build manual was ever written...that the straight axles were already ready. They probably developed them alongside the portal axles...but, when the marketing team & company executives got involved, they realized they could make more money by selling the kits & RTRs with the portal axles, and then, at a later date, offer the straight axle "upgrade" kits.

Think about it - which would make them more money? Selling kits & RTRs with the straight axles, and then offering a portal axle upgrade kit at a later date? Or, selling kits & RTRs with the portal axles, and then offering a straight axle upgrade kit at a later date? The OBVIOUS answer is the second option, as they would have known more people would prefer the straight axles, thus more people would be willing to spend additional money buying the straight axle "upgrade" kit. Such a shame...and a sham.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Buy an SCX10 3 starting from 400 $ as kit then pay almost the price of an SCX10 2 Raw Builders kit to get straight axles. There is something I am not seeing here.
Admittedly I'm looking at this from a "I don't own a 10.3 and have no intention of owning one" viewpoint -- I'm interested in the axles on their own for custom builds - there's not much available for offset straight axles (SSD and VP only I think). I don't think it's a great deal for someone with a 10.3, I think it's great for people who want to buy axles and add whatever else they want to them without having to go through the secondary market.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:45 PM   #40
I wanna be Dave

i don't even own a 10.3 (yet), but I think it would be awesome to see solids underneath the 10.3 and the TRX4 for the scale factor. Have a portal and solid variants. It would be sick to see the Bronco and Blazer and 10.3 with solid axles.

But, i like the pumpkin clearance they have.

So for me, I'm going to go with portals 99% of the time, but on a super scaled rig it would be awesome.

just my .02

Last edited by ScaleLifeNewbie; 11-19-2020 at 12:49 PM.
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 III without portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 III Jeep Gladiator Paul_crawl General Scale Talk 29 08-21-2020 09:29 PM
axial scx10 iii Mikearm71 Electronics 4 05-14-2020 10:55 AM