Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 III without portals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 06:08 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: Axial SCX10 III without portals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler View Post
Not just a simple product release, but another drop of tar in a honeypot with a long history. How does complaints about how a company conducts business translate into attacking the fanbase, well it does not. Although I do have a small problem with selective scale realism around here. People keep repeating that offset axle is more scale, like a mantra while completely disregarding something like holes in the links.
Dude you obviously have way too much time on your hands. I’m not an axial fanboy and you’re not upsetting me by having an opinion about it. But I think the fact you think a hole drilled in the solid stainless links affects it’s integrity is almost comical. I’ve not seen one issue with a link on the new axial stuff. Hell I never even broke a plastic link on My old wraith that had many holes in them. And all my rigs have taken some serious tumbles. Knock on wood, I haven’t even broke a housing yet and my Capra has 8oz brass up front and 4 out back.

This ain’t my first rodeo in the rc world.. I may only be 31 but I’ve raced since I was about 8/9 anything from 1/10 nitro to 1/5 gas. Got out for 10 years and here I am back with the crawlers. I think Horizon buying up everything is good and bad but that’s not a topic for this thread.
At the end of the day.. these are freakin toy cars.. I’ve seen more guys get worked up in this forum then I ever have in real life racing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2020, 06:25 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I feel you. I’ve been on a tight budget for over a year saving for a house. My list of future projects is growing at an alarming rate.

I just traded for a 10.3 a few months ago due to extreme curiosity for the platform. After owning a couple, I’m not very impressed with the 10.2’s. The 10.3 however quickly become one of my favorite vehicles.... except for the portals. They did so much right for a scale truck but the portals killed me on a JL. I ended up selling it to explore some different vehicles, but it is definitely on my short list now that this kit came out. And having a nice set of portals will make a great base for a future flat rail chassis build.
Now I’m daydreaming about a 10.3 kit, straight axles, budget electronics like HH sport/Hobbywing/Amazon servo, topped with a weathered RC4WD Mojave or Club5 Comanche hard body hacked to fit 1.9 proline boggers I’ve decided an upgradeable “performance” scaler is what I need. Something that looks scale but not geeked out over it that I can trail/mild crawling. Funny how something that upsets some people can get the imagination working in others lol.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:59 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Now I’m daydreaming about a 10.3 kit, straight axles, budget electronics like HH sport/Hobbywing/Amazon servo, topped with a weathered RC4WD Mojave or Club5 Comanche hard body hacked to fit 1.9 proline boggers
Ah man! That would be awesome! I’ve always loved the RC4WD Toyota bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:57 AM   #64
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
... But I think the fact you think a hole drilled in the solid stainless links affects it’s integrity is almost comical. I’ve not seen one issue with a link on the new axial stuff. Hell I never even broke a plastic link on My old wraith that had many holes in them. And all my rigs have taken some serious tumbles. Knock on wood, I haven’t even broke a housing yet and my Capra has 8oz brass up front and 4 out back.
Not what I think at all, I have never had problems with OG Scx10 plastic links either for example but that was not the main point. Stainless steel is more expensive than some other materials and harder to work with so machining it is also more expensive. If the end result is what I do not like then I do not want to pay for all that either.

At least part of the community says they want to build their very own personal dream vehicle, people who make these products say that at least some customers want to build their very own personal dream vehicle, people making these products say that they are fans of offroading and want to build their own personal dream vehicle that is too expensive to build in real life. Fact is that a manufacturer is not able to produce a specific personal vehicle for each customer. So why is there this push towards increased scale detail out of the box when it means increased cost and stuff you do not need for your own personal dream vehicle? Some reviewers out there say stuff like inner fenders are expected out of the box by this point etc when that is not what I want at all for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fricker08 View Post
.. I’ve seen more guys get worked up in this forum then I ever have in real life racing.
People sometimes beat each other up in real life racing. Vehicle restioration to complete original state is a niche market in real life. You can put whatever axles under whatever vehicle as long as it complies with certain rules in full scale offroading. Why are these toy cars spearheaded by something narrow and exclusive? Go offroading, not posing. Not trying to upset anyone, quoting that what I found most interesting.
Growler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 AM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Regardless of the opinion of cost vs performance and portal vs straight axle, I'll be on the hunt for a set of 45P's once these start shipping to play around with.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:04 AM   #66
Quarry Creeper

Not that I’m not happy with it this way, I’d see myself buying another kit or 2 if they released these with a 2 door body & their own OEM Rubicon front & rear bumpers. I’m surprised they didn’t drop them in a Gladiator kit first.
txbart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #67
Rock Crawler

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE a 2dr short WB Rubi with these axles!

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:42 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
This is a "scam"...not a scam in the literal sense of the word to but Horizon Hobby scamming their customers. In other words, it's a marketing ploy, cooked up by company executives, for no other purpose than to make more money. I'm not saying that making money is a 'bad' thing...after all, to companies are in business to make money. However, when companies make decisions purely for the purpose of additional profit, and having complete disregard for their customers, that's something I will NEVER agree with.

I'm willing to bet that, before the SCX10-III was ever released...heck, before the build manual was ever written...that the straight axles were already ready. They probably developed them alongside the portal axles...but, when the marketing team & company executives got involved, they realized they could make more money by selling the kits & RTRs with the portal axles, and then, at a later date, offer the straight axle "upgrade" kits.

Think about it - which would make them more money? Selling kits & RTRs with the straight axles, and then offering a portal axle upgrade kit at a later date? Or, selling kits & RTRs with the portal axles, and then offering a straight axle upgrade kit at a later date? The OBVIOUS answer is the second option, as they would have known more people would prefer the straight axles, thus more people would be willing to spend additional money buying the straight axle "upgrade" kit. Such a shame...and a sham.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
I agree. There are no cool new products for a long time. Axial is killed slowly.
Need kit version with straight axles!
Paul_crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:49 AM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_crawl View Post
I agree. There are no cool new products for a long time. Axial is killed slowly.
Need kit version with straight axles!

I'm new to this crawler thing but doesn't that pretty much describe the whole hobby? At least Axial is swapping things around/offering different configurations (portal buggy, 3 AR60 based kits, 1.9 buggy, decent MT) - Traxxas pretty much called it a day with the TRX4/6. Element seems to be stuck at the Enduro (the Gatekeeper caused a stir but all they really did was add the trailing arms and call it a buggy, that front overhang is horrible). I've been into a lot of different hobbies over the years and this one is nothing new, manufacturers who are completely out of touch with their customers and an aftermarket that tries to close the gap. It's the same in the static/1:24 and 1:25 model world. You have to kit bash or be a sheet styrene fan to have any fun.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:14 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
I'm new to this crawler thing but doesn't that pretty much describe the whole hobby? At least Axial is swapping things around/offering different configurations (portal buggy, 3 AR60 based kits, 1.9 buggy, decent MT) - Traxxas pretty much called it a day with the TRX4/6. Element seems to be stuck at the Enduro (the Gatekeeper caused a stir but all they really did was add the trailing arms and call it a buggy, that front overhang is horrible). I've been into a lot of different hobbies over the years and this one is nothing new, manufacturers who are completely out of touch with their customers and an aftermarket that tries to close the gap. It's the same in the static/1:24 and 1:25 model world. You have to kit bash or be a sheet styrene fan to have any fun.
I am not saying that they are bad. Few are simply surprising. The scx10iii gladiator impressed. But that's all my personal preference
Paul_crawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 III without portals - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 III Jeep Gladiator Paul_crawl General Scale Talk 29 08-21-2020 09:29 PM
axial scx10 iii Mikearm71 Electronics 4 05-14-2020 10:55 AM