Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2020, 01:52 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
No, Rich has already said there are no plans for a kit.
oh nooooo
So I won't buy this beautiful car finally
CyberFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2020, 04:57 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

pre ordered a red one today from my LHS
sgtlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlt View Post
pre ordered a red one today from my LHS
I know the msrp is 520, what was the actual price through your LHS?
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #24
Slow is the new Fast

Would be nice to see ProLine release their version of those Nitto’s molded in Predator compound. Made me happy to hear Josh drop that suggestion. Dream the possibilities...
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 05:18 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

decided to change to the JL wrangler instead of the Gladiator, the extra 1 1/2 inches of WB and 3 inches of length bothered me
Old 08-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #26

Okay, so I’m in the process of finishing up my SCX10 III JLU, with the announcement of the Gladiator RTR I’m now wondering if I’ll be able to adjust and modify my existing TRX-4 Defender wheelbase long enough to accommodate the Gladiator body on it... Don’t get me wrong, I love the Gladiator, but I really don’t want to buy a whole other vehicle just yet!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rowntrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:33 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
No, Rich has already said there are no plans for a kit. for the time being the best you can do is a RTR, though he did say a clear body will be coming eventually.

Axial used to add upgrades to their kits but that has kind of gone away, they often have some differences in the axles or tranny used in the past but I'm unsure with the 10.3.
I went on this post and ordered a grey model. Now that i have the gladiator you can bet it will get a kit now

Any way the package came today and i opened and checked it out really fast. Im confused (again as always) on something. the only other vehicle i have to compare it to is a gmade komodo. the komodo is smaller by a bit with smaller tires, i actually thought both models would be closer to the same size. the tires on the axial are quite a bit spongery versus the stiffer more rubber feeling of the komodo stock tires. i like the komodo tires better. its raining here and its been a long day so ill leave the gladiator alone until tomorrow and then i run a battery through it. oh yeah the radio feels really cheap.
krauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:22 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauley View Post
I went on this post and ordered a grey model. Now that i have the gladiator you can bet it will get a kit now

Any way the package came today and i opened and checked it out really fast. Im confused (again as always) on something. the only other vehicle i have to compare it to is a gmade komodo. the komodo is smaller by a bit with smaller tires, i actually thought both models would be closer to the same size. the tires on the axial are quite a bit spongery versus the stiffer more rubber feeling of the komodo stock tires. i like the komodo tires better. its raining here and its been a long day so ill leave the gladiator alone until tomorrow and then i run a battery through it. oh yeah the radio feels really cheap.
An update on my gladiator and its not good. Never bought any rtr before but this ones started out bad and got worse. first time i went to drive it the dig servo burned up in less than 15 mins of use. thats total use on truck and not the servo. So i put up the truck and tried to contact HH to see what i should do to get a replacement of the servo or the truck (however they wanted to handle it) I was on the phone for roughly half an hour and never got to talk to a person. So i went on to use the service contact form which sends an email. i received a reply a couple days later and after a few back and forths i was told they would ship a replacement servo. ok im fine with that.

So after i knew i wouldnt have to send in the truck i decided i woud finally get it some drive time. i plugged in the battery, turned the switch on and up in smoke! melted fender, side rail and completely burned the esc/rx combo up. i was able to get the battery unplugged and out of the truck. then i plugged the motor leads and steering servo lead off, by then the esc had melted and came loose from the truck so i cut the switch wire to get it away from the truck.

After sending email after email including one with pictures of the damage i finally heard back from HH service. they suggest i send in the truck on my dime to be looked at.

I hope this isnt breaking forum rules posting this here, if so delete and i apologize. needless to say im frustrated right now.
krauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 02:24 PM   #29

My Dad just got one yesterday. It is beautiful, but . . . Dig servo also quit in the first 30 minutes. (a little searching reveals that these cheap Spektrum servos quit a lot) I replaced it with the dig from my JLU kit so he could keep running.
I "fitted" an old Align D410 into my JLU and it's great. Took some modding with the "servo-saver". I'm just using end points to shift it correctly.

Other than that, they really did a beautiful job on the Glad.

G.
garyji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:28 AM   #30

Would it be possible to buy the extended frame rails and links and body and change a JL kit to a Gladiator 'kit'? I don't want an RTR but I do want a Gladiator. Kit's are far more enjoyable to me because half the fun is building it so you know the vehicle better when something inevitably breaks (or needs an upgrade).
Squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Axial Racing - EXT Rear Frame Rail Set: SCX10 III

Don't know if it's already available but the reference exists.

Same for the rear fender liners.
http://www.axialracing.com/products/axi231023

Last edited by tuxstang; 09-13-2020 at 06:04 AM.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

you are also going to need longer drive shaft and longer rear links, prob some extra chassis braces
Old 09-17-2020, 06:38 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Picked up my Gladiator today, did the pre run checks, everything is good to go for this weekend
Old 09-18-2020, 11:19 PM   #34

When i saw this on a YT video the thing that jumped out at me was the motor/gearbox/transfercase thingy.

How hard do the ones of you that have seen it think it would be to adapt to a SCX10II ? Love the look of it!
71Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:24 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71Baker View Post
When i saw this on a YT video the thing that jumped out at me was the motor/gearbox/transfercase thingy.

How hard do the ones of you that have seen it think it would be to adapt to a SCX10II ? Love the look of it!

The skid bolt pattern is different as well as the entire front shock mount setup. You'd have to be pretty motivated to get it working on an scx10ii.

crawlnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 06:41 PM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Would be nice to see ProLine release their version of those Nitto’s molded in Predator compound. Made me happy to hear Josh drop that suggestion. Dream the possibilities...
I have found the stock tires to be quite good. They have exceeded my expectations for a stock tire and have gotten better as they have worn in. I have some custom foams in them so I can't comment on them in their "stock" form. I have used them in Northern Wisconsin, lots of clay, loose dirt, and rock. They have worn pretty quick and I'm sure these same tires in predator compound would wear very quick. I don't run them on the 10.3 I actually run them on my Vanquish.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
wblteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:40 AM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowntrp View Post
Okay, so I’m in the process of finishing up my SCX10 III JLU, with the announcement of the Gladiator RTR I’m now wondering if I’ll be able to adjust and modify my existing TRX-4 Defender wheelbase long enough to accommodate the Gladiator body on it... Don’t get me wrong, I love the Gladiator, but I really don’t want to buy a whole other vehicle just yet!!!

I’m in the process of doing this to my TRX4 kit. It’s the shorter WB but I’m going to mod it to get to 13.9”. Body is ordered and everything, just gotta wait for it to show up.

Drewmtb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:28 AM   #38
Quarry Creeper

I have been looking at one of these but am still on the fence.

Im used to a 12.3 wheel base like my SCX10 and SCX10.2 XJ. I have a Unimog kit to build this winter when its cold for a short wheelbase rig. I have been pondering about adding the longer wheel base to my collection but like many, kinda think it may be too long. Are you guys running the gladiator noticing any big negatives with the long wheel base? What about the differences between say a 12.3 or 11.4?

Anyone able to compare to the JLU? I know that rig has the internal cage that a buddy doesnt care much for as it adds more weight up high...Just wondering if the Gladiator or the JLU would be better fit for me.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 04:54 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

For what its worth, you can always remove the cage on the JLU
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

Yea he mentioned the cage can be removed and it does help. So Im back to the wheelbase conundrum

Im almost thinking the Gladiator and if the wheel base is way too long the frame can shorten and use JLU links. With the JLU you cant go any longer with the frame is my understanding.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 III Jeep Gladiator Paul_crawl General Scale Talk 29 08-21-2020 09:29 PM