Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Jim's Jeep Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Jim's Jeep Rubicon

Hey folks, so I'm spending time in Toronto to aid in the care of a sick family member and built this thing during mandatory 14 day quarantine. IMHO Axial really stepped-up their game with this kit. The quality of the materials, is top-notch and the scale details of the body are impressive.

My son and I took it out for a test run on some nearby park trails yesterday and I was a little disappointed by its performance. There's nothing wrong with the chassis itself, it's just that the beautiful scale body adds a lot of weight in all the wrong places.

OK, so it's not an apples-to-apples comparison cause the old BOM has been upgraded and is quite dialed-in, but no way could the stock rig keep up with the BOM. The main issue seems to be a too high center of gravity causing the rig to roll over often. I had the rear spring set to maximum pre-load and the fronts to about half.

QUESTION for ya'll: do you think removing the interior and roll cage would help, or am I looking to just get a aftermarket body for better performance??

Oh, for those that are wondering the color is brushed on Cadmium Red Light Hue (looks orange me).

JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2020, 01:18 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Jim's Jeep Rubicon

Ive read on here that removing the roll cage will make a difference in the top weight. I thought it was like 20% or so, I could be wrong.

Im not a professional by any means but:

Id let some of your preload out of your shocks, I just finished my 10.3 kit and have my preload about 3/8" in the rear and about 1/4" in the front. Basically just enough so the rig will support its own weight ( Battery, body etc ) without fully drooping the suspension. Im running a 3300mah 3s battery across the back as well. it'll have about 3/16" of sag on its own weight .

My 10.2 is fairly dialed in running wise and my 10.3 will go in places the 10.2 will just roll on its side. Let the suspension do its work and flex over things.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damion10 View Post
Ive read on here that removing the roll cage will make a difference in the top weight. I thought it was like 20% or so, I could be wrong.

Im not a professional by any means but:

Id let some of your preload out of your shocks, I just finished my 10.3 kit and have my preload about 3/8" in the rear and about 1/4" in the front. Basically just enough so the rig will support its own weight ( Battery, body etc ) without fully drooping the suspension. Im running a 3300mah 3s battery across the back as well. it'll have about 3/16" of sag on its own weight .

My 10.2 is fairly dialed in running wise and my 10.3 will go in places the 10.2 will just roll on its side. Let the suspension do its work and flex over things.
Thanks for the suggestions!! I think I'm going to remove the whole interior, as it can barely be discerned thru the window tint anyway and will reduce some of the shock pre-load.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

This was made for trail driving.With a few upgrades you wouldnt have to change body....

There other kind of rig for comping....
1beatjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #5

Lower the center of gravity by adding some weight at the wheels to help.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
johnrennainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:18 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Curious if removing the interior and roll cage makes a big difference. I never installed mine to do a comparison.

Very satisfied with the performance of mine, and it is still box stock.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:47 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I will say at first I was somewhat unimpressed as well with the stock rig. Then I added 100mm RC4WD shocks and a Reefs rear sway bar. It was a game changer. I've got a bit of weight on the rig with scale accessories and it still performs very well.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:29 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
Curious if removing the interior and roll cage makes a big difference. I never installed mine to do a comparison.

Very satisfied with the performance of mine, and it is still box stock.
Happy you're satisfied with yours and don't get me wrong I think it's a great scale rig, maybe I just have to adjust my expectations . Anyhow, I removed the interior and softened the spring preload somewhat and will take the rig out on the same trails tomorrow. We'll see how she does...
Old 09-20-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Default Better

So, I hit the trails again today. I removed the interior, added some stick on weights to the chassis side trays, reduced the shock pre-load to about half what I had before and stole the alu beadlocks and Hyrax clone tires from my Capra.

Happy to report that performance both climbing and side-hilling is MUCH better, I'd say on par with my other rigs. Truth be told it probably wasn't fair to compare the stock rig to one that's been dialed-in quite a bit.

Jim's Jeep Rubicon - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Custom 1:10 scale Kahn Defender D110, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Jeep NuKizer LandOfTheEagle Scale Videos! 0 03-14-2020 05:22 AM
Axial Jeep Rubicon | Jeep Deep Snow TheRcCrawlerKing Scale Videos! 0 05-16-2019 07:32 AM
SCX10 Dingo, Jeep Rubicon, Jeep Wrangler G6 hill climb rock bouncing TAFF1969 Scale Videos! 0 07-16-2014 10:53 AM
SCX10 Jeep Rubicon transforms into Camp a Girls Jeep CodesEmpire Axial SCX-10 32 05-23-2014 02:19 PM
Jeep Rubicon vs. Jeep Cherokee DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 03-22-2012 05:26 AM