Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Chasing the Scx10.3 Click ( fixed I think )

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Chasing the Scx10.3 Click ( fixed I think )

So after finishing my 10.3 build, I had the dreaded transmission click, partly due to one gear put on with the pin in the square hole but after fixing that I still had a very faint click when the rig was under a load. ( quiet on flat level surfaces )

After watching and reading everything I could find about this click it was deemed that the source comes from the transmission output gears ( behind the spur gear ) having some play between the gear and the shaft it rides on. While it technically won't hurt anything, I can't stand a $600 brand new rig having an annoying click.

One fix I found was putting a small amount of painters tape at the base of the shaft and on the pin which would help hold the gear tight. Well anyone who's tried to stick tape to anything thats had grease or oil on it you know its impossible, no matter how well its been cleaned.

Another fix I found was wrapping the shaft in aluminum foil acting as a shim between the gear and shaft. This seemed the best solution as the foil would just wedge and not have to stick. After finally getting the foil to stay between the shaft / gear initial tests were great. NO more click. perfect.

Fast foward to today, go out for a little run and guess what's back..... so after tearing the transmission apart again, I found the foil had worn down enough that the gear would move on the shaft again. Back to the drawing board....

After looking at how things were made, I noticed the gear on the shaft that runs the length of the transmission ( small gear ) didn't sit on top of the gear behind it ( one with the E clip holding it ) but rather sat on the pin and there was a small gap between the two.

So I found a small washer that fit perfectly between the E clip and bottom of the pin, installed the pin then the gear. No more play in the gear!!!! the washer forces the gear to sit true on the shaft while the pin locks it in.

After a quick test run its quiet and because the washer can't wear down like the tape / foil it should be a permanent fix.

Sorry this is so long I just wanted to post my findings in hopes it helps someone chasing this click as well.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: Chasing the Scx10.3 Click ( fixed I think )

Great info! I'll keep this in mind!

My RTR will be here Wednesday and I'm curious to see if it will have that obnoxious clicking sound like the Kit's have!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Chasing the Scx10.3 Click ( fixed I think )

Yeah, thanks for taking the time to write this up. I'm getting ready to get my SCX10 iii Bronco out of the box (in a few days) and I had read about the dreaded "click."

Since I plan on swapping mine to a 2 speed, that would be an ideal time to put this fix in.

Let's see if I'm hearing you correctly. If I'm looking at page 52 in the exploded parts diagram it looks like you put the washer in between part #s AXA1391 and AXI232031.

This is the manual I'm referring to:

https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...AXI03014.html#

On page 52, towards the bottom and in the center of the page you'll find the parts I'm referring to. I'm thinking the Bronco uses the same transmission as the rest of the SCX10 iii models.

Sorry if that link only leads to the product page. Apparently Horizon doesn't want me posting a link directly to the manual elsewhere...

Last edited by Fallen; 12-22-2021 at 07:22 PM.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote

Chasing the Scx10.3 Click ( fixed I think ) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wait for SCX10 iii to be fixed? Veteran Axial SCX10 III 44 04-29-2020 07:32 PM
Chasing a pinion klampykixx General Crawlers 12 09-02-2017 05:12 AM