Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: New wrangler rat help needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Default New wrangler rat help needed

Hey y’all, got a nice new wrangler and with it, a pile of questions. I’ll try to keep this succinct

1, my Jeep leans on the drivers side (I have a shorty 2s on that side to balance). I’ve seen mention that 50-60 weight shock oil in the rear could help this. Is that the case and if so, what should I do in the front?

2, could I get some tire and wheel suggestions (as I understand the portals make the wheel choice difficult)

3, any mods to help it crawl better? I temporarily removed the foam but that seemed way too soft. Also, after I did that 1 wheel wouldn’t vent (3 would squish/whistle and immediately refill with air, 1 wouldn’t refill and would stay flat). Why is that?

4, I’m not sure my dig is working properly. In videos (primarily rc sparks gladiator) you can see he hits his dig on the fly, mine needs to be “reset” after I use it or else it’ll disconnect the rear axle and give me fwd only. So for me, I have to stop, engage dig, make directional adjustment, then fully stop moving, press the dig switch the opposite way to basically cycle it, THEN I can continue traveling. Is there a way to help that?

5, if I have extra lighting kits to add, can I just plug them into the esc wherever there’s an open spot? I can’t recall...

Thanks y’all, happy crawling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DavidVonDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2020, 05:58 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default New wrangler rat help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidVonDoom View Post
Hey y’all, got a nice new wrangler and with it, a pile of questions. I’ll try to keep this succinct

1, my Jeep leans on the drivers side (I have a shorty 2s on that side to balance). I’ve seen mention that 50-60 weight shock oil in the rear could help this. Is that the case and if so, what should I do in the front?

2, could I get some tire and wheel suggestions (as I understand the portals make the wheel choice difficult)

3, any mods to help it crawl better? I temporarily removed the foam but that seemed way too soft. Also, after I did that 1 wheel wouldn’t vent (3 would squish/whistle and immediately refill with air, 1 wouldn’t refill and would stay flat). Why is that?

4, I’m not sure my dig is working properly. In videos (primarily rc sparks gladiator) you can see he hits his dig on the fly, mine needs to be “reset” after I use it or else it’ll disconnect the rear axle and give me fwd only. So for me, I have to stop, engage dig, make directional adjustment, then fully stop moving, press the dig switch the opposite way to basically cycle it, THEN I can continue traveling. Is there a way to help that?

5, if I have extra lighting kits to add, can I just plug them into the esc wherever there’s an open spot? I can’t recall...

Thanks y’all, happy crawling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am running Vanquish wheels (350 hubs) and Hyrax G8 compound 4.75 tires. Nice upgrade from stock tires, which I found too hard. I just received yesterday a set of ProLine mud terrains in 4.19 size predator compound to try something class 1 legal. Plan to mount those and test this weekend.

My mods thus far include tires and wheels, portal weights, trimmed off the hard top (80 grams of high CG). Mine was a kit, so I have a Holmes BRXL brushed ESC and an Axial 27T motor (still waiting for more stock on Holmes motors) while servo duty is a Protek 370BL. I do have a pair of the spectrum sx107 for dig and 2 speed duty, but will likely replace those in the future as they aren’t very strong. I also have the MyTrickRC lighting kit with remote control all managed by a DX5 rugged. This is a heavy rig and the metal wheels and portal weights still added a net 300 grams with the chopped top from stock, but moved the CG much lower, which helps climbing a lot. My old SCX10 original is 1000 grams lighter before the weight mods.

The dig is very flaky with the sx107. I can engage it fairly reliably, but going back to 4WD often requires reverse or a cycling of the dig a few times. I’ve played with end points, but I think the servo is just too weak. It works better in my Capra, but that may be since it is a much lighter rig. I only ever use the 2 speed on my driveway to get to another crawl area, and it’s only a little faster, so may pull that out in the future. I picked up a Reefs 99 to try replacing the sx107, but the splines don’t match with the servo saver so I’ll need to rig something else up.

It’s a good overall rig, but the weight up high from the detailed body and the lousy stock tires make the out of the box experience less impressive. Good luck with your mods!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by nielsm; 09-18-2020 at 06:01 AM.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:30 AM   #3

Default Re: New wrangler rat help needed

Yes, you can plug the extra lights into one of the open ports on the receiver. That is what I did with mine.
cubalz is offline   Reply With Quote

New wrangler rat help needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help NEEDED!!! With My G6 SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler G6 Falken ZOOKFAN Axial SCX-10 1 04-26-2015 08:21 PM
Pro Street Rat Rod '47 Ford Pickup Rat Racer thingy on Ebay... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 21 12-31-2012 09:54 AM