Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2020, 09:45 AM   #21
Go Buckeyes!

Default Re: B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

I got quite a bit done last night on the JLU Recon. I was able to get the the chassis and all components put back together. Chassis went together great. I kinda like the 2-piece chassis design. I was worried that it would be weaker than the previous one-piece solid chassis rails like the SCX10.2 has, but it locks together nicely and once everything is bolted together it feels really solid.

Also tore down and rebuilt the shocks. I'm not sure the weight of the stock shock oil, guessing it is 35w, but the suspension felt kinda soft. I decided to throw in some 40w to start out and maybe even jump up another 10-20w once I get to test it out. I swapped out the stock spring cups for a set of Samix brass cups. I run these on most of my rigs and I really like them.

Name:  IMG_5518.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  149.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5533.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  85.7 KB

Swapped out the stock shock towers with the Samix alum shocks towers with the beefy panhard mount. I've heard and seen quite a few people having problems with the panhard mount snapping off, so I figured I'd solve that problem right off the bat! Really love the Samix shock towers. I also run these on most of my rigs.

Name:  IMG_5508.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  177.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5531.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  108.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5532.jpg
Views: 831
Size:  119.7 KB

Next up is the tires and wheels. I bought a cheap set of alum beadlock wheels off of Amazon. Also bought a cheap set of beadlock rings to give the wheels a different look. I also swapped out the stock foams with a set of CI foams. I've had these on my shelf for awhile with no tires to put them in. I think these will work out a lot better than the stock foams!

Not to sure how I like the size of the tires. I really want to give these tires a try. They don't feel too bad and I think they look really good, but I think they just look too big with this JLU body. I'm a big fan of the Pitbull OG Rockbeast and I think they would look much better with this body.

Name:  IMG_5519.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  175.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5535.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  136.3 KB

If you look at the pic above ^^^ it looks like the tire is not centered very well in the wheel well. I may look into adjusting the links to center it better. I'm worried that with these bigger tires that there will be quite a bit of rubbing when the suspension flexes up into the wheel well.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Default B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

Hey B, I’m also a PItBull fan, have the OG’s on my VS4, due to the height. The stock tires are the same as the PB Growlers that I run, a 4.75” tall and there’s no real rubbing.
The location looks wrong, now compress it and it’s perfectly centered......

Hang up and Drive

Last edited by mikemcE; 09-25-2020 at 05:40 PM.
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:13 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Did I miss the party? Happy belated birthday Brian.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 07:06 PM   #24
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Hey B, I’m also a PItBull fan, have the OG’s on my VS4, due to the height. The stock tires are the same as the PB Growlers that I run, a 4.75” tall and there’s no real rubbing.
The location looks wrong, now compress it and it’s perfectly centered......

Hang up and Drive
Yeah, I forgot you were running the Growlers on your 10.3. Glad to hear they don't rub. I did compress mine and it does go back to center and doesn't rub. It just looks odd to me in the pic I posted.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
Did I miss the party? Happy belated birthday Brian.

Ha Ha! Thanks MaX!

I had a low-key party this year due to the craziness that's going on in our world today!

Next year marks a HUGE age milestone! Everybody will be invited!
Old 09-25-2020, 07:16 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yeah, I forgot you were running the Growlers on your 10.3. Glad to hear they don't rub. I did compress mine and it does go back to center and doesn't rub. It just looks odd to me in the pic I posted.

Thanks for the info Mike!

Ha Ha! Thanks MaX!

I had a low-key party this year due to the craziness that's going on in our world today!

Next year marks a HUGE age milestone! Everybody will be invited!
What's next year, 40 or 50?

Old 09-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
What's next year, 40 or 50?

50 and I’m not sure I’m ready for that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2020, 07:32 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
50 and I’m not sure I’m ready for that!

Meh......... 50 is no big deal. No worse than 40. 30 hit me really hard for some strange reason. I just turned 51 a few weeks ago.
It's all good. For the first month when somebody asks you your age and you tell them that you're 50 , it's a little strange. When I was 10 years old I thought 50 was old , but now I'm finding out that it's not. HA!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:50 PM   #28
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Meh......... 50 is no big deal. No worse than 40. 30 hit me really hard for some strange reason. I just turned 51 a few weeks ago.
It's all good. For the first month when somebody asks you your age and you tell them that you're 50 , it's a little strange. When I was 10 years old I thought 50 was old , but now I'm finding out that it's not. HA!

Yeah, you may be right! 50 is just a number! Hell, my mind thinks I’m still 25! Luckily I still have good health!

I remember thinking the same thing when I was 10! Back then I thought 50 was old and there wasn’t many years left after that! Good thing I thought wrong!

Hey, by the way, Happy belated birthday!

Old 09-25-2020, 07:56 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hey, by the way, Happy belated birthday!

Thanks Brian. Much appreciated!

Old 09-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Youngsters....... 60 is even scarier, and that was years ago!

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-25-2020, 09:38 PM   #31
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
60! I don't even want to think about 60...yet!
Old 09-25-2020, 09:56 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
I appreciate you calling us youngsters! LOL

Old 09-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #33
Go Buckeyes!

Stopped by my LHS after work today to see if maybe they had a set of 4 Pitbull Rockbeast in stock. Surprisingly they did so I went ahead and bought them.

Demounted the Amazon alum beadlock wheels off of the stock tires and attempted to mount them in the Rockbeast. What a pain in the a$$! I could not get these wheels to mount to these tires. For some reason the front side beadlock would not hold bead and the bead kept popping out. I tried countless times but could not get the bead to hold. It reminded me of my Vanquish VS4-10 Origin stock wheels and tires. I could not get them to hold bead at all. I ended up cutting a bevel on the foams and placing the tires in the freezer for a few hours. So I tried the same thing with these Rockbeast. I cut a bevel in the stock foams and threw them in the freezer for a few hours.

Finally after freezing them the bead stiffened up enough to lock in the bead. I still had a little trouble getting the bead even all the way around the tire, but it locked in and held. Hopefully when the tires rotate they will not wobble too bad! I'm not wanting to take them back apart anytime soon!

I really like the looks of these tires and I think they fit much better in the wheel well openings.

Name:  IMG_5530.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  178.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5543 (2).jpg
Views: 794
Size:  129.6 KB

Here's a look from the top of the chassis. I added a little bit of paint detail to the engine. Also ordered the missing head and valve cover STL file from Spare Time Hobbies so that I could 3D print it.

Name:  IMG_5536.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5537.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  134.9 KB

Name:  IMG_5538.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  111.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5539.jpg
Views: 782
Size:  126.3 KB

I found a fuel tank on Thingiverse and 3D printed it. Added some silver to the straps and mounted it in. It is held in with two screws in the back that hold the rear fenders on. Fits good and adds a little bit of detail to the rear end.

Name:  IMG_5540.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  147.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5541.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  154.1 KB

I've got the body really close to being finished. Should have it done first thing in the morning. I'll post pics of it then. It's late here and I'm tired! Goodnight!
Old 09-25-2020, 10:07 PM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I appreciate you calling us youngsters! LOL

My pleasure!!

I will say I had one hell of a time in my 30’s and 40’s.......... I can tell every morning when I try to get up!

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 05:36 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Stopped by my LHS after work today to see if maybe they had a set of 4 Pitbull Rockbeast in stock. Surprisingly they did so I went ahead and bought them.

Demounted the Amazon alum beadlock wheels off of the stock tires and attempted to mount them in the Rockbeast. What a pain in the a$$! I could not get these wheels to mount to these tires. For some reason the front side beadlock would not hold bead and the bead kept popping out. I tried countless times but could not get the bead to hold. It reminded me of my Vanquish VS4-10 Origin stock wheels and tires. I could not get them to hold bead at all. I ended up cutting a bevel on the foams and placing the tires in the freezer for a few hours. So I tried the same thing with these Rockbeast. I cut a bevel in the stock foams and threw them in the freezer for a few hours.

Finally after freezing them the bead stiffened up enough to lock in the bead. I still had a little trouble getting the bead even all the way around the tire, but it locked in and held. Hopefully when the tires rotate they will not wobble too bad! I'm not wanting to take them back apart anytime soon!

I really like the looks of these tires and I think they fit much better in the wheel well openings.

Attachment 391479

Attachment 391480

Here's a look from the top of the chassis. I added a little bit of paint detail to the engine. Also ordered the missing head and valve cover STL file from Spare Time Hobbies so that I could 3D print it.

Attachment 391481

Attachment 391482

Attachment 391483

Attachment 391484

I found a fuel tank on Thingiverse and 3D printed it. Added some silver to the straps and mounted it in. It is held in with two screws in the back that hold the rear fenders on. Fits good and adds a little bit of detail to the rear end.

Attachment 391485

Attachment 391486

I've got the body really close to being finished. Should have it done first thing in the morning. I'll post pics of it then. It's late here and I'm tired! Goodnight!
I like the look of those tires better. Are they the 4.45" Rock Beast tires?

Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #36
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I like the look of those tires better. Are they the 4.45" Rock Beast tires?

Yes, they are 4.45”. I really like the size of these tires. I also have these on my Enduro Sendero and the fit that stock body really well.

I bought a set of the 4.75” Rock Beast XL’s a couple years ago and have yet found a rig to put them on. I think they just look too big and not very scale.

Old 09-26-2020, 06:44 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

I don’t care for the height of the XL’s , but here on coral rock they are the best tire around. The OG being a tad shorter don’t perform as well. Amazingly the extra width doesn’t hurt at all.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 06:54 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
I don’t care for the height of the XL’s , but here on coral rock they are the best tire around. The OG being a tad shorter don’t perform as well. Amazingly the extra width doesn’t hurt at all.

Hang up and Drive
I really wanted to like the XL's, but they don't look very scale. I've found that the OG's work the best for me on the mossy, wet and slippery rocks here in Ohio.
Old 09-26-2020, 07:04 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:

Hang up and Drive
I didn't know that Rock Beast's work well on coral rock. I know you're on the SW coast of Florida, I'm on the SE coast of Florida and deal with the same thing. What compound? I'm looking for new tires for my Wroncho build to take to Markham Park.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:36 AM   #40
Go Buckeyes!

Default B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

Here's the body pics!

I kept the stock gray color and added Tamiya PS-5 Black to the top, hood and grill. Topped with Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear. Still a few more details I want to add to make this the Recon Edition. I also want to add body lines too. But it will do for now. I'm planning taking it out on it's shakedown run this morning.

Also gave my driver a face and painted his hat. Still need to paint the interior and give the driver some color to his body. I also painted the roll bar red to help make it more visible inside the body.

Name:  IMG_5542.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  174.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5548 (2).jpg
Views: 735
Size:  142.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5551 (2).jpg
Views: 726
Size:  132.6 KB

Here is a look at the rear end. Added a few decals and license plate.

The license plate I bought from RC Plate Shop. They offered a special Oregon Smokey The Bear plate with all proceeds going to the Red Cross Wildfire Relief for the fires out on the west coast. Cool that they are doing that and it's a good looking plate too!

And check out the second pic. They even added a little easter egg on the plate!

Name:  IMG_5547 (2).jpg
Views: 720
Size:  119.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0973.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  106.8 KB

Bought a set of hinges from Club5 Racing. These are very detailed hinges and come with microscopic screws! I painted them black, added a tiny bit of E6000 to the back and screwed them on. I had to drill a very small pilot hole to screw the screws in. If you buy the hinge kit, be careful, my kit came with just enough screws to attach the hinges!

Name:  IMG_5502.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5544 (2).jpg
Views: 719
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5545 (2).jpg
Views: 707
Size:  109.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5556 (2).jpg
Views: 714
Size:  107.4 KB

And one last garage pic before it hits the trail!

Name:  IMG_5552 (2).jpg
Views: 714
Size:  150.0 KB

Last edited by B-MOW71; 09-29-2020 at 06:30 PM.

B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Axial Racing SCX24 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU CRC RTR - IN STOCK NOW! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-25-2019 01:06 PM