Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2020, 08:59 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I didn't know that Rock Beast's work well on coral rock. I know you're on the SW coast of Florida, I'm on the SE coast of Florida and deal with the same thing. What compound? I'm looking for new tires for my Wroncho build to take to Markham Park.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Alien on all. Most of the Markham locals like the cut growlers, every other block cut out

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2020, 09:33 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Here's the body pics!

Bought a set of hinges from Club5 Racing. These are very detailed hinges and come with microscopic screws! I painted them black, added a tiny bit of E6000 to the back and screwed them on. I had to drill a very small pilot hole to screw the screws in. If you buy the hinge kit, be careful, my kit came with just enough screws to attach the hinges!
Hey, I got he same hinge set and have been on the fence on whether or not to install them. They do look pretty good so I may go ahead install them. Just hate that I already installed all the sticker hinges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rowntrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:19 AM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Alien on all. Most of the Markham locals like the cut growlers, every other block cut out

Hang up and Drive
Is there a big difference in performance between the Rock Beast and The Growlers? What are your thoughts on the Hyrax Predator?

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Is there a big difference in performance between the Rock Beast and The Growlers? What are your thoughts on the Hyrax Predator?

I run the Hyrax on my 2.2’s and really like them . The Growlers seem to bite better, I suspect due to being taller.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-26-2020, 04:28 PM   #45
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowntrp View Post
Hey, I got he same hinge set and have been on the fence on whether or not to install them. They do look pretty good so I may go ahead install them. Just hate that I already installed all the sticker hinges.

Do it! They add great scale detail to the body!

My RTR body already had the stickers installed. They came off really easy.

Just be careful with the screws. If you drop one it will be gone forever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
B-MOW71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:12 PM   #46
Go Buckeyes!

Shakedown run in the books! I took the JLU to Honey Run here in Ohio. It is a somewhat local place I like to go to to that has nice trails and a few cliffs and ledges to crawl around on. I mainly did some basic trail runs with a few more difficult climbs mixed in. Nothing too crazy! I didn't want to scar up the body too bad on it's first run!

I must say I am really impressed with how it performed. Suspension is super smooth and handles the terrain beautifully! I may look in to getting a little stiffer springs for the rear. It seems to be just a tad soft and wants to lean to the side when climbing.

The Firma ESC/receiver did great! It's has really smooth low end and creeps well. I didn't notice any cogging. The drag brake seems to work very well. On descending it gives a nice slow controllable roll down hills. I've seen that these ESC's are programmable with the Hobbywing program box, so I'm going to go thru the settings and see if there is anything that needs improving.

The DX3 radio is very nice for being an RTR transmitter. I did great and I enjoyed using it. It is comfortable in the hand and having the built in thumb steer is a big plus. The DIG switch on the transmitter worked great without any problems. The DIG shifted great in an out and worked flawlessly. I never had to reverse to get the DIG to disengage. It shifts nice and smooth.

Now on to the infamous "click"! I never heard one click at all! Not one! The trans and portal gears were surprisingly very quiet. It is almost as quiet as my two Element Enduro's. And they are damn near silent! So super happy with the drivetrain and how it performed! I guess I got it greased pretty good!

Lovin' the scale realism of the body! It looked so good out on the trail! I like how well the body sits on the chassis and that it does not rattle around when hitting bumps. The whole rig is really quiet and very enjoyable to drive!

Tires and wheels did great! I was worried when I mounted them that the bead may not hold. All beads held great and these OG Rock Beast tires work very well on the terrain that I run on.

Not much else to say about the rig! It did fantastic and am looking forward to getting it back out on the trail soon!

Here are a few pics of it today out in the wild.

Name:  IMG_5558.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5559.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  178.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5571.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  183.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5572.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  181.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5573.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  180.5 KB

Name:  IMG_5574.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  184.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5575.jpg
Views: 769
Size:  178.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5576.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  178.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5578.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5579.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  181.9 KB

I did shoot some video. Though not the greatest! I'm a complete noob at trying to take video. I really need to see if I can come up with a way to mount my iPhone to my transmitter. I was struggling to get great shots one handed! If any of you guys that shoot video's have any tips, let me know! Suggestions and pics are welcome!

I'm going to try and figure out how to get all the short videos that I took edited and see if I can upload it to my videoless YouTube channel.

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

You had FUN!!!
Yours performed exactly as does mine, both dig and click less !
I also agree with the quietness vs the Enduro, As my wife’s Enduro is running 4.19 tires , they need slightly different lines. I’m running 45/60 shock oil, stock springs, But 26% OD makes a huge difference.

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-27-2020, 07:58 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Rig looks great! I hear you on the body roll. Mine is the kit version and I added a RC4WD rear swing out bumper, it holds a spare, hi-lift jack, and gas can. While it's really scale it made for some pretty bad body roll. So there is a kit out there (I can't remember where I got it now) that allows you to mount a Reefs sway bar. That helped my rig out a ton. The pic shows basically what I've got going on out back.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:20 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Hey B, here’s a quick look at my video setup, both mount to a standard GoPro mount and are WiFi.
$100.00 older GoPro, $12.00 CHICOM copy

Hang up and Drive
Old 09-27-2020, 05:34 PM   #50
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
You had FUN!!!
Yours performed exactly as does mine, both dig and click less !
I also agree with the quietness vs the Enduro, As my wife’s Enduro is running 4.19 tires , they need slightly different lines. I’m running 45/60 shock oil, stock springs, But 26% OD makes a huge difference.

Hang up and Drive
Quote:
Hey B, here’s a quick look at my video setup, both mount to a standard GoPro mount and are WiFi.
$100.00 older GoPro, $12.00 CHICOM copy

Hang up and Drive
Yeah, had a great time! I was hoping mine would turn out like yours! I remember you saying yours performed great and was click free!

Thanks for the pic Mike! That's a great place to mount the GoPro mount! Looks like it will fit great on the DX3 transmitter! I'm going to give that a try!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezzdown View Post
Rig looks great! I hear you on the body roll. Mine is the kit version and I added a RC4WD rear swing out bumper, it holds a spare, hi-lift jack, and gas can. While it's really scale it made for some pretty bad body roll. So there is a kit out there (I can't remember where I got it now) that allows you to mount a Reefs sway bar. That helped my rig out a ton. The pic shows basically what I've got going on out back.

Thanks hezz!

Love the look of the rear bumper and tire carrier! I saw them, but was worried about the weight! Since this rig will be mostly for trailing, I'll probably get one in the future to add to the scale look!

Great idea on the rear sway bar! I'll have to get one and try it! Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:03 PM   #51
RCC Addict

The more I see this truck, the more I want one.

MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:12 PM   #52

Quote:

Nice, I had that exact same bumper on my TRX-4 Defender and was thinking about trying it on the Jeep to see how it would look. I took it off the defender because it was so damn heavy, especially with the RC4WD Extreme Hi-lift jack, a couple of gas cans and a big spare with steel rim. The Defender was doing wheelies going up hills!

rowntrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:29 AM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowntrp View Post
Nice, I had that exact same bumper on my TRX-4 Defender and was thinking about trying it on the Jeep to see how it would look. I took it off the defender because it was so damn heavy, especially with the RC4WD Extreme Hi-lift jack, a couple of gas cans and a big spare with steel rim. The Defender was doing wheelies going up hills!

Agree with you there. All pieces combined it is quite a bit of weight on the back of the rig. I shaved as much weight as I possibly could which isn't much but it did make a difference. I pulled the foam out of the spare, removed the hub, and only used half of the hardware. I don't have a bunch of run time on the rig but if it becomes a huge problem I may bin the bumper. Problem is I really like the look lol.

hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:24 AM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Great looking truck as always! Love the color/wheel and tire combo.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:41 AM   #55
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
The more I see this truck, the more I want one.

Just do it! I put off getting one for too long!

I told myself I would not buy another SCX10, but after the release of the Capra and seeing how good the plastics and design changes were, I'm glad I bought one!

Quote:
Agree with you there. All pieces combined it is quite a bit of weight on the back of the rig. I shaved as much weight as I possibly could which isn't much but it did make a difference. I pulled the foam out of the spare, removed the hub, and only used half of the hardware. I don't have a bunch of run time on the rig but if it becomes a huge problem I may bin the bumper. Problem is I really like the look lol.

I won a Proline spare tire cover at an event last year and was thinking if I decide to run the spare tire and carrier that I'll probably just run a foam insert inside the cover and come up with a way to mount it. Not running the tire should trim down some weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Great looking truck as always! Love the color/wheel and tire combo.
Thanks OSRC! I appreciate it!
Old 09-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #56

Quote:
And check out the second pic. They even added a litter easter egg on the plate!
I must be blind, I am not seeing an easter egg on that plate...
Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:56 PM   #57
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
I must be blind, I am not seeing an easter egg on that plate...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WTdTwcmxyo
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:32 AM   #58
Go Buckeyes!

I finally figured out how to edit all of my videos I took of the JLU when I had it out on its first trail run. It's not the best, but not too bad I guess for my first time!

I'm working on getting a camera mount on my transmitter so the next I'm out I can get some better trail action!

It's up on YT if you want to check it out!

https://youtu.be/DO4srtNKe6M
Old 10-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #59
Rock Crawler

Hey man I really really like your set up there with the garage and all the different 3-D printed parts you have it is so cool it must have taken me quite a while to amass all the little bits and pieces and details you have it’s incredible one day I will want to create something in my own fashion but how do you get started getting all that stuff is it just piece by piece on the Internet or do you have a local place that you go to get all the stuff?
I have an SCX 10 three that I bought off somebody local they had only used it a little bit I did notice a little clicking and I think it was the pinion gear once I change it up to a lower pinion gear set it up real nice put a little bit of pinion grease mine is quiet and it actually works really well I have a TRX four that’s super hopped up and works really good but there’s something about this truck that just makes it really be capable and functional.
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #60
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyman108 View Post
Hey man I really really like your set up there with the garage and all the different 3-D printed parts you have it is so cool it must have taken me quite a while to amass all the little bits and pieces and details you have it’s incredible one day I will want to create something in my own fashion but how do you get started getting all that stuff is it just piece by piece on the Internet or do you have a local place that you go to get all the stuff?
I have an SCX 10 three that I bought off somebody local they had only used it a little bit I did notice a little clicking and I think it was the pinion gear once I change it up to a lower pinion gear set it up real nice put a little bit of pinion grease mine is quiet and it actually works really well I have a TRX four that’s super hopped up and works really good but there’s something about this truck that just makes it really be capable and functional.
Hey thanks!

I bought a 3D printer last December and have printed most of the scale items you see in the garage. Most of the scale items that I have printed I found on Thingiverse. I'm still in the process of learning Fushion 360 so that I can design and print my own parts. That has been a slow process since I have not had much time to sit down and learn it! I'm hoping this winter I will have more time to dive into Fushion and master it! The workbench and shelf I built out of balsa wood that I picked up from my local Hobby Lobby.

The garage itself came from my Element Enduro Sendero RTR. The inside of the Enduro box turns into the scale garage.

Congrats on getting the SCX10.3! It is a great rig and Axial did a great job on designing the very scale looking body! Glad to hear you were able to get rid of the clicking that you heard. I believe my click was coming from one of the portal gears that had the pin installed in the wrong side. After applying a good coat of marine grease to all of my gears in the portals and the transmission, I hear absolutely no clicking.

B-MOW's SCX10 V3 JLU RTR Rubicon Recon Edition - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NEW Axial Racing SCX24 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU CRC RTR - IN STOCK NOW! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-25-2019 01:06 PM