Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: About to pull the trigger on a SCX 10 III can some of you help me on Electronics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2020, 04:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default About to pull the trigger on a SCX 10 III can some of you help me on Electronics.

So i am about to pull the trigger on a SCX 10.3 Kit.
would like to go with a Castle Creations Brushless. but i dont know which one to get KV size wise.
also a little confused on what Radio to go with. Was thinking a Futaba 3PV but also a little unsure there.
i know ill need a BEC
and for the ESC i planned to go with a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL, how well would this work with the CC motors.

i have been out of the RC game for a while but here not long ago got my Son a Capra RTR and hes having fun with it so would like to get something of my own to go running with him.
the Electronics has always been something i just don't know a ton about.
if anyone can help give me some ideas i would really appreciate it a lot.
champ198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2020, 04:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: About to pull the trigger on a SCX 10 III can some of you help me on Electronics.

I will tell you honestly Because you chose the Holmes ESC, go with a Holmes motor also .I’m running a 2700 stubby on mine and couldn’t be happier.
Castle makes a good Esc(Holmes based on Castle)Holmes motors put castles to shame. Matched with that Futaba, you will love the feel and response. I might also suggest a 4channel Futaba, for lights or winch later.
Running with 2700 stubby
https://youtu.be/RiLYVmb-2zY

Lights controlled by 4th channel
https://youtu.be/lv-XrhBL8SQ

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: About to pull the trigger on a SCX 10 III can some of you help me on Electronics.

Hey man I’m a TRX four guy and just got into the axial products and bought off a local guy an SCX 10 three there’s some things I don’t like about it but man I really love it and I am currently modding it up fully.. but I can tell you from my mistakes and the money that I spent on some of those mistakes is that it’s best to run it for a while as the spectrum Electronics aren’t bad at all but as far as set up I am using the Holmes BR-XL which is working flawlessly and I have that paired with the Holmes pro 540 45 turn motor Yeah for electronics you have to get the fly sky GT5 6channel it’s less than 80 bucks And will make a complete difference in the way your rig works! Ivan like the fact that the way the servo works with the fly sky the dig can be fully locked three wheeled or completely released back to lock differential but you can’t do with the stock radio that’s the best I can tell you for the SCX 10 three I also use castle creations mamba hacks and also hobby wing fusion and 1080 quick run which are also all gray but you can’t go wrong with a Holmes hobbies Motors ESC‘s or anything they’re incredible
Honeyman108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I went with a Castle Slate motor 2850KV and a Mamba X Micro ( crawler edition )in my 10.3, works great and is easily programmable. Im using a Spektrum DX5 Rugged transmitter with it.

I went with the slightly higher KV for more wheel speed, I also have second gear locked out so its in " low gear " all the time. it'll go faster than I can run but can still crawl at a snails pace. I also went with a 13 tooth pinion instead of the 14 tooth the kit comes with.
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I used Novaks back in the day. Roosters and GOAT were the go to for a long while.
Today everyone is offering crawler specif setups.

I chose to go with the AXE Setups. I have been happy with them so far. Have a 3300kv combo AXE for my SCX10 iii kit for when I start building it.
Running a Reefs 555 on the one rig now, and that is what will go into my iii kit with 2 Reefs Micros for 2spd and dig.

Even using lights and a winch, the onboard 5a bec should be fine, unless you try to run it all at max at the same time.

Castle rigs were great for go fast. I hear they are a good esc for crawling now too. Just haven't used on in crawling.

For a Radio. Grab a Radio Link RC6GS. they are like 80.00 6 channels, extend around 1800 ft range, fully mixable and the new RC7G receivers give signal strength and RX Battery readout on the TX.
I am impressed with it for an 80.00 radio. I just got back in earlier this year after getting out around 2012/13.

I had speckys and Futabas back then. But I preferred my Nomadio React radios. SO much so I still have 2 and 5 rxs. Using then now strictly for the No Prep rigs.

But the RadioLinks for the money are not CHEAP, just a pretty damn good Inexpensive radio that would be 400 plus if it has a Spectrum or Futaba branding on it.

Last edited by Timmahh; 10-17-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

It's actually pretty cool to see what everyone is running. I built my rig at the beginning of the pandemic and electronics were hard to come by. Hell the 10.3 kit was hard to get!! I ended up slapping a Mamba Monster X and puller pro 4500kv in mine lol! Surprisingly it works amazing! However I know to be careful with my trigger finger or things will grenade.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ198 View Post
So i am about to pull the trigger on a SCX 10.3 Kit.
would like to go with a Castle Creations Brushless. but i dont know which one to get KV size wise.
also a little confused on what Radio to go with. Was thinking a Futaba 3PV but also a little unsure there.
i know ill need a BEC
and for the ESC i planned to go with a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL, how well would this work with the CC motors.

i have been out of the RC game for a while but here not long ago got my Son a Capra RTR and hes having fun with it so would like to get something of my own to go running with him.
the Electronics has always been something i just don't know a ton about.
if anyone can help give me some ideas i would really appreciate it a lot.
The Holmes BR-XL is a brushed ESC, not a brushless one, so you can't use it with a brushless motor. I had a BR-XL in my SCX10.3 to start with a generic Axial brushed motor as Holmes crawl masters were sold out everywhere. It is an outstanding brushed controller. The low end control, especially with a Holmes brushed motor is outstanding. I used this setup of Holmes Crawlmaster Pro & BR-XL ESC in my Capra and it truly is amazing for low speed crawling that I use my Capra for.

I'm about to switch my SCX10.3 to a brushless setup with a Holmes Trailmaster Pro 540 2200KV and a Castle Mamba Micro X as I'm using it more as a trail truck than a crawler, so wheel speed and reduced maintanance was higher priority than low speed control.

For electronics, I'd suggest really focusing on what you intend to use the truck for and that will lead you to the right setup. Brushed will be generally cheaper than brushless and depending on your needs you can go very cheap. For my son's SCX10 OG, I'm running a Holmes Trailmaster Sport and a Firma 40 ESC/Receiver combo. That's ~$60 for a brushed ESC, motor and DSMR receiver with telemetry. My Capra is a higher-end brushed setup at ~$240 for motor, esc and receiver. My new brushless setup for the SCX10.3 has a higher channel count receiver with telemetry, but a more basic brushless ESC & motor so it's ~$230 for ESC, motor & receiver. For my Gatekeeper which I'm setting up as more of a rock racer, I'm putting in a higher end Mamba X ESC, so it will be closer to $260.

Beyond the powertrain, your servos will be another area for investment. There is a huge range in price, mostly driven by torque figures and speed. I just replaced my dig & 2 speed Spektrum SX107 servos with Reef's 99 micro servos. My steering servo in my Capra and the SCX10.3 is a ProTek 370TBL which is 650oz/in at 7.4v. The Holmes SHV500v3 has gotten many good reviews, but is often out of stock. Many also like the Reefs 555 and 777. On the lower end, the Ecopower WP110 & 120 are good options.
nielsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I agree 100% with the other crawlers I use Holmes esc and Motor combo you can not go wrong plus its quiet not like Sensored Brushless I use The BR-XL on both my scx10 3 and my TRX4 and on the SCX10 3 I use Holmes Hobbies Torque Master Pro 540 45T Brushed Motor and on my TRX4 comp crawler I use the Holmes Hobbies Custom Pro 540 20T Brushed Motor I have no issues at all with torque or power and the ESC can handle a lot up to 6s and is fully programmable via castle link o stick programming I am very happy with these setups and they have not given me a problem and I crawl a couple times a week and I put it to the test everytime!!!!

I have a Build thread on my honey wagon SCX10 iii check it out! It took me a minute to get up to speed on the Axial since I always had TRX4 but its amazing even stock but with HH you will Rock and Bzzzzzz.....

Axial SCX10iii Honeywagon Work in progress...
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

also you can't go wrong just going ahead and getting a

FLYSKY GT5

radio for 70$ it will change everything to a much easier and broader 6 channel very capable transmitter!!!! I have 3 of them as I do some 4 wheel steer projects and lights and digs so as much as I want a Futaba 7PX or the new PXR I have 3 transmitters for a third of the price of the Futaba and don't get me wrong the Futaba is INSANE I have to wait to save up 800$ plus a case and a battery so anyway hope this helps!!!! BUZZZZ......

https://www.amazon.com/Flysky-FS-GT5...0-a2ffae3a273c
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #10

How long in the HH Torquemaster going to be out of stock ?
REDdawn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 04:44 PM   #11

Just in reply to what KV to get. generally lower is better for trail rigs. Lower = more torque/acceleration but less top speed. higher KV is opposite, less torque/acceleration but a high top speed.

I have a Hobbywing QuicRun Fusion FOC 2-in-1 ESC & Motor System (1800Kv) in my old wraith and its awesome. it crawls really well and has the speed i need. also the motor can houses the ESC as well so less electronics to mount. The built in BEC can do 6 or 7.4v

For my 10.3 i'm really impressed with the rtr firma 40 esc/receiver combo. Granted its built in BEC only does 6volt (tmk). Its waterproof and has a small footprint and if you're already a spektrum geek there will be no worries with pairing up your radio and new spektrum radios.
LTCirabisi is offline   Reply With Quote

About to pull the trigger on a SCX 10 III can some of you help me on Electronics. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
bout to pull the trigger but got a ??? passinby Axial Yeti XL 6 11-17-2014 11:12 PM
Pull the Trigger Rookie UNIDEKE Newbie General 12 09-08-2014 09:09 PM
having to pull trigger twice to activate reverse metalking Electronics 7 04-30-2014 04:28 PM
Well, I'm ready to pull the trigger. TekmoCrawl Chit Chat 5 02-18-2013 11:41 AM
pull the trigger? squish72 Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-11-2010 04:31 PM