Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2020, 12:37 PM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior

That truck bed liner looks really good!
derekmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2020, 06:53 AM   #42
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekmac View Post
That truck bed liner looks really good!
Thanks man!

I'm really happy with how it turned out! First time using the truck bed liner and I plan on using it again on future builds.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:10 AM   #43
Slow is the new Fast

Coming along beautifully B! Those fenders are really nice, do they improve tire clearance at all?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 08:33 AM   #44
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Coming along beautifully B! Those fenders are really nice, do they improve tire clearance at all?

Thanks smog!

I’ll have to get back with you on the clearance. I haven’t mounted the two-halves of the body together yet. There is more but not sure how much.

I’ll snap a side-by-side pic of the fender flares when I get of work later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2020, 04:40 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

What marine grease do you use or recommend for the trans/portals? I have never tried that in my rigs and will be doing a couple tranny teardowns over the holidays....figured I would give it a shot!
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Those printed tools look great! I don’t even want to know how tedious it was for the supports. What I really like though are the gas cans. I like how it says the size of the can engraved in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 05:50 PM   #47
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
What marine grease do you use or recommend for the trans/portals? I have never tried that in my rigs and will be doing a couple tranny teardowns over the holidays....figured I would give it a shot!

I’ve been using this for years. I found it at Walmart. I’ve used it in all of my rigs and works very good. It is blue in color and stays on the gears great. I also use to seal up the outer bearings in the axles and trans to seal out water.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:58 PM   #48
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
Those printed tools look great! I don’t even want to know how tedious it was for the supports. What I really like though are the gas cans. I like how it says the size of the can engraved in it.

Thanks! Let me tell ya, it printed just like it sits mounted on the bed rack, in a vertical position. So it had supports all around it and in between all of the tools. It took awhile to cut and dig out all of the supports. It did print very good and was worth the headache when all said and done!

The gas cans are nice. The black gas can cap is a separate print and fits nicely in a hole in the gas can. It gives a more scale look. I think once I add some weathering to them they will look even better!

Old 12-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #49
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
Those fenders are really nice, do they improve tire clearance at all?
Hey smog, here’s a look at both fender flares. Not the greatest comparison pic, but you can see how much more clearance they offer.

The Knight Customs prints are “cut off” at about where the stock flare curves in toward the tire. If that makes any sense!!!

Old 12-17-2020, 07:14 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Default B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Thanks! Let me tell ya, it printed just like it sits mounted on the bed rack, in a vertical position. So it had supports all around it and in between all of the tools. It took awhile to cut and dig out all of the supports. It did print very good and was worth the headache when all said and done!

The gas cans are nice. The black gas can cap is a separate print and fits nicely in a hole in the gas can. It gives a more scale look. I think once I add some weathering to them they will look even better!

That’s weird. You couldn’t turn it flat?

ScaleLifeNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 07:39 PM   #51
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleLifeNewbie View Post
That’s weird. You couldn’t turn it flat?

I probably could have, but I left it how KC had it setup in the file. Also didn’t want supports on the plate behind the shovel. I think it prints cleaner stood up with less support trimming and sanding.

Old 12-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #52
Go Buckeyes!

Finally have a day off of work to spend some time in the garage working on the Gladiator. Ordered some parts the beginning of the month from eBay and they are still MIA!

So today I'm working on getting the interior finished up so that I can get it installed. The weather here has warmed up enough to shot some paint. I added Tamiya PS#55 Flat Clear to the top of the interior to take the shine off of it. It also gave me a good layer to paint some clothes on my naked driver! After I painted the driver, I applied another coat of clear to help protect the paint. I only had some cheap Walmart matte acrylic paint on hand, so it will have to do. The clear should protect it from the elements.

Name:  IMG_5818.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  156.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5819.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  144.0 KB

Added some Samix 8mm hexes. I wanted to widen the stance a little more than the stock width. Also, stole the Vitavon brass portal covers from my Capra since it has been sitting idle since I built it. Before I installed them on my Capra, I coated the portal covers with Brass Black to cover up the shiny brass look.

Name:  IMG_5821.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  161.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5822.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  175.6 KB

I've got a few more items to install later today. I'll post more later!
Old 12-30-2020, 02:52 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Looking good Brian! I've been eyeballing those hexes for my 10.3 JLU. Hope you had a great holiday is this crazy world we're living in!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
hezzdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:05 PM   #54
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hezzdown View Post
Looking good Brian! I've been eyeballing those hexes for my 10.3 JLU. Hope you had a great holiday is this crazy world we're living in!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Hey, thanks! Holidays were great and a whole lot better now! I've got the next 4 days off work to play with tiny trucks! Hope yours was great as well!

I now need to pick up a set of these for my JLU. Though I may get the stock width brass hexes to keep the tires somewhat under the fenders.
Old 12-30-2020, 05:25 PM   #55
RCC Addict

Looks absolutely fabulous. That driver looks like he's wearing a batter's helmet though haha.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #56
Rock Crawler

Not a bad idea to tear it all apart, good finds. I'm excited as well to have picked up a scx10.3 gladiator. But mine sat with the other trucks while we went on a family Christmas break.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #57
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
Looks absolutely fabulous. That driver looks like he's wearing a batter's helmet though haha.
Thanks man! Batter's helmet! Yeah, it sure does look like it and now I can't unsee it!

I could draw on some stitch lines, but I don't think it's going to help the looks of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Not a bad idea to tear it all apart, good finds. I'm excited as well to have picked up a scx10.3 gladiator. But mine sat with the other trucks while we went on a family Christmas break.
Yeah, definitely worth the time to go thru it and make sure everything is installed properly and greased well!

The Gladiator is a great rig and fun to drive! This is my first extended wheelbase rig and I like it!
Old 12-31-2020, 05:32 AM   #58
RCC Addict

Very nice progress. I have the JL 10.3 and am looking at the Jt and the straight axle conversion axles.
Ballistic17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:07 AM   #59
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistic17 View Post
Very nice progress. I have the JL 10.3 and am looking at the Jt and the straight axle conversion axles.
Thanks Ballistic!

I also have the 10.3 JLU which I am planning on doing the straight axle conversion sometime in the future.

I think I'm going to keep the portals on the JT for now. I'll wait to see how my JLU performs with the straight axles before I decide to swap them out.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:25 AM   #60
Go Buckeyes!

I got a couple more little upgrades done this morning. I added the Samix brass shock spring cups and the Bowhouse SVT panhard reinforcement bracket.

I run the Samix brass shock spring cups on most of my rigs and I really like them. They hold the spring tight, add a little weight down low and since they slide over the shock shaft, there is no fear in having one pop off out on the trail.

The Bowhouse SVT panhard bracket is a great add-on to help support the plastic panhard mount on the axle. It is made of aluminum and wraps around the axle bracing and is held on with two screws. I also have this on my 10.3 JLU and it really stiffens up the axle mount so that there is no worry of breaking the mount off of the axle.

Name:  IMG_5823.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5824.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  IMG_5826.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  175.0 KB

Name:  IMG_5827.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  141.8 KB

And in case I haven't mentioned it before, these tools really come in handy for making links and building shocks. The shock pliers are a must have and is a tool that I use quite often.

The orange tool is another must have! It was designed by HumboldtEF here on RCC and can be found on Thingiverse. It is great for holding different sized rod ends when installing them on links or shock shafts. My fingers have thanked me many times for using it!
Name:  IMG_5828.jpg
Views: 912
Size:  155.7 KB

B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III Portals Swap on a SCX10 Trail Honcho cubalz Axial SCX-10 2 11-12-2020 10:03 AM
Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR sgtlt Axial SCX10 III 40 10-02-2020 10:46 AM
1/10 SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator Rock Crawler with Portals RTR Item No. AXI03006 Natedog General Crawlers 2 08-31-2020 10:06 AM
Axial SCX10 III Jeep Gladiator Paul_crawl General Scale Talk 29 08-21-2020 09:29 PM