Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2021, 06:35 AM   #101
RCC Addict

Default Re: B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior

# 2 all day.
Phildirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 PM   #102
Quarry Creeper

I know which one I'd choose.

boldfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:27 AM   #103
RCC Addict

did you print the roof tent at 100% or did you scale it down some?
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:43 AM   #104
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
did you print the roof tent at 100% or did you scale it down some?
Yes, I printed it at 100%

Sidenote: I read (I believe it was from James Knight) that if you rotate the print 45 degrees on the bed, it will have less print marks on top. I didn't know that when I printed mine and mine is a little rough.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 10:28 AM   #105
Rock Crawler

I like #2... looking at that bumper myself for my VS4-10.3 rig...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #106
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Marlin bumper for the win! These things work on a lot of rigs, using my spare on my 87 Xtra cab Trailwalker.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
I do like the Marlin bumper and have been looking for a rig to use it on. It looks great on your TW paired with that body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyro View Post
Well it seems we are having the same problem lol. Buy the way the first one also looks like an Injora as well... Kinda like the TF2 bumper on there actually. I personally have been looking at the Scaler Fab ones, but the price is just a bit much.

Really glad to see what the Injora bumpers look like on there. Not a fan my self. Almost ordered them a bit ago, .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do like Scaler Fab products and have them on a couple of my other rigs. I thought I would go the cheaper route and use the cheaper Injora's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimK View Post
Wow...that's a tough choice for the bumper. They all look good. To me bumper #2 just looks a bit "cleaner" on the front of the truck than the other two do.
I think you are right on the cleaner look of #2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I agree with Jim K, the second bumper looks the cleanest of the bunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yep, I agree! Thanks for your vote MaX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildirt View Post
# 2 all day.
Vote counted! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldfin View Post
I know which one I'd choose.
Oh, damn, that looks gooood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421 View Post
I like #2... looking at that bumper myself for my VS4-10.3 rig...

Lou
It would look great on your VS4-10.3! Thanks, Lou!

Well, the votes were counted and we have a winner!

As much as I like the Marlin bumper on it and would really like to find it a home, I will be using bumper #2. Luckily it is still mounted on the JT. All that I need to do is see if I can slide it in tighter to the grill. Then I'll work on getting a winch set up for it.

Thanks all for your input! Much appreciated!

More to follow soon!
Old 02-28-2021, 11:29 AM   #107
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Yes, I printed it at 100%

Sidenote: I read (I believe it was from James Knight) that if you rotate the print 45 degrees on the bed, it will have less print marks on top. I didn't know that when I printed mine and mine is a little rough.
To fix this issue on mine (I had someone else print it so there was no rotating or scaling option) I just put a sanding drum on my Dremel with the sanding barrel not all the way on the rubber bit. This created a smooshy "lip" on the sanding barrel, which with a little pressure contoured to the shapes of the top of the tent. I just went back and forth a couple times in random directions, I think it took like a minute. Then I just very lightly sanded it with some 500 and 1000 and sprayed it black. You can still see a bunch of the print texture if you know it's there, but I feel like it came out acceptable enough.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think your JT is looking awesome, and I agree that bumper #2 is a great fit!

Last edited by addiemonster; 02-28-2021 at 11:33 AM.
addiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #108
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by addiemonster View Post
To fix this issue on mine (I had someone else print it so there was no rotating or scaling option) I just put a sanding drum on my Dremel with the sanding barrel not all the way on the rubber bit. This created a smooshy "lip" on the sanding barrel, which with a little pressure contoured to the shapes of the top of the tent.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I think your JT is looking awesome, and I agree that bumper #2 is a great fit!
Hey thanks addie!

My rooftop tent looked just like yours when I printed mine. I was too lazy to sand it, so I just put the paint on heavy to try to hide the lines. I figured it's probably going to get beat up after a few rolls anyways!
Old 03-07-2021, 08:15 PM   #109
Go Buckeyes!

It's been awhile since I've worked on the JT, so I pulled her in the garage and added a few more items.

Picked up the Samix alum shock towers for the front and rear. These shock towers are super beefy and have an indestructible panhard mount. I run the Samix shock towers on all of my rigs and have had zero problems with any of them.

Name:  IMG_5872.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  180.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5996.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  IMG_5997.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  99.6 KB

I've been debating on whether or not to add a servo winch or just add the DSM Integrated Self Recovery System. Since I have decided to use bumper #2 with the RC4WD winch attached to the bumper, I decided to go with the DSM system. I have this system on one of my other rigs and it works very well for how simple of a design it is.

Name:  IMG_5989.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  180.7 KB

I taped out one of the holes in the rear bumper mount studs to attach the DSM spool onto. The instruction say to mount it to the underside of the rear bumper mount, but I didn't like that it was out in the open and may get scraped or smashed on a rock when descending hills. Mounting it farther in protects it better and also helps hide it.

Name:  IMG_5990.jpg
Views: 878

I mounted the fixed end of the DSM bungy to the front bumper mount as the instructions stated. It is up out of the way and should be fine mounted there.

Name:  IMG_5991.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  177.4 KB

I routed the bungy in and around the trans and over top of the DIG servo lever. After a few pulls on the bungy, it looks like it will be fine where it is at. I was afraid it may interfere with the DIG servo and the front suspension, but it is flexible enough that it just moves out of the way when the suspension is compressed or steering is turned.

Name:  IMG_5992.jpg
Views: 860

The RC4WD winch that is mounted to the bumper is one that I had burned up a few years back. Actually the gears are stripped out of it after a few runs it had on it and instead of throwing it away, I threw it in my spare parts bin. I went ahead and cut the wires off of the motor and added a few wraps of steel winch line to the spool to make it look like the winch is still operational. I used some Gorilla glue to hold the winch line in place. I then ran the DSM bungy cord thru the chassis, thru the faux RC4WD winch and out the fairlead in the bumper.

Name:  IMG_5993.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  133.7 KB

Name:  IMG_5994.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  IMG_5995.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  134.2 KB

If all goes well and the weather stays dry and warm, my plan is to take it out next weekend for a much needed trail run. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Haven't checked in here for a little while, but nice progress on the JT....looks GREAT!

Looking forward to some action shots of her once you can get out. I have family in Western Ohio and it sounds like the weather is vastly improving.
RCBrutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 06:37 AM   #111
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBrutus View Post
Haven't checked in here for a little while, but nice progress on the JT....looks GREAT!

Looking forward to some action shots of her once you can get out. I have family in Western Ohio and it sounds like the weather is vastly improving.
Thanks man!

Yeah, weather here is feeling great! Snow is gone and we hit near 70 degrees yesterday! This weekend will be a little cooler, but if I can squeeze in some trigger time I'm going to try and get it out on the trails!
Old 06-05-2021, 08:42 PM   #112
Rock Stacker

Hey, which rear bumper tire carrier did you get for you SCX10 iii Gladiator? Is there one for the Gladiator or did you get the one that’s for the TRX4/SCX10 and it’s 8”s wide?
Thanks

Last edited by UZI4U; 06-05-2021 at 09:25 PM.
UZI4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:21 AM   #113
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U View Post
Hey, which rear bumper tire carrier did you get for you SCX10 iii Gladiator? Is there one for the Gladiator or did you get the one that’s for the TRX4/SCX10 and it’s 8”s wide?
Thanks

Here is the listing on eBay.

Old 06-08-2021, 04:36 AM   #114

Great build up, just ordered one of these trucks and will definitely be lifting a little inspiration from you!

I've been searching for the front bumper you have on (no. 2 option) and can't find it anywhere, any chance of a link? I probably scrolled past it somewhere and had a dumb moment
rtsbasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #115
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsbasic View Post
Great build up, just ordered one of these trucks and will definitely be lifting a little inspiration from you!

I've been searching for the front bumper you have on (no. 2 option) and can't find it anywhere, any chance of a link? I probably scrolled past it somewhere and had a dumb moment

Hey thanks! I found the bumper on Amazon. Here is the link:

INJORA RC Front Bumper Metal RC Front Bumper with Tow Hooks for 1/10 RC Crawler Axial SCX10 90046 SCX10 III AXI03007 (RC Front Bumper) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MX3PH43...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Old 06-11-2021, 01:01 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Hey thanks! I found the bumper on Amazon. Here is the link:

INJORA RC Front Bumper Metal RC Front Bumper with Tow Hooks for 1/10 RC Crawler Axial SCX10 90046 SCX10 III AXI03007 (RC Front Bumper) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MX3PH43...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks man, using those details I’ve been able to find it on AliExpress. Ordered
rtsbasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:44 PM   #117
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtsbasic View Post
Thanks man, using those details I’ve been able to find it on AliExpress. Ordered

B-MOW's SCX10 III JT Gladiator Trail Warrior - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SCX10 III Portals Swap on a SCX10 Trail Honcho cubalz Axial SCX-10 2 11-12-2020 10:03 AM
Axial SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator RTR sgtlt Axial SCX10 III 40 10-02-2020 10:46 AM
1/10 SCX10 III Jeep JT Gladiator Rock Crawler with Portals RTR Item No. AXI03006 Natedog General Crawlers 2 08-31-2020 10:06 AM
Axial SCX10 III Jeep Gladiator Paul_crawl General Scale Talk 29 08-21-2020 09:29 PM