Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Cliffdawg's Rig mytrick issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Cliffdawg's Rig mytrick issues

Hello all!

I have been a long time member, going back to the beginning of 2011. My first crawler was a Losi Comp Crawler (which I still own) My new rig is a Axial SCX10.3 kit. I had a ton of fun building this guy. I found it to be really well done, even with the occasional error in the build manual. No big deal. I think the scale details are top notch, the body is so fascinating. Every detail they got right! I found myself smiling ear to ear during the build, constantly realizing I made the right decision. I have also found the performance to be pretty awesome considering it's just a scale rig, possibly besting my LCC!! I tried to build this with the best components because I know myself and realize I would have ended up with the stuff anyhow! I am using a Tekin RX4, roc412 at 1800kv, bluetooth hotwire, Spetrum rugged dx5, Spektrum sr6200a, and a savox sw1212sg, mytrick attack rubicon lightkit led setup, and a full set of stainless hardware from team KNK.

I finished the build today and really got a chance to take her outside. I found the truck extremely capable. I took the truck over rocks and obstructions that would have stopped my LCC! I am super excited to take her out on the trail and really get some miles in. I do have a few questions and hope that the community can assist, as has always been helpful in this hobby.

First: the Spektrum Rugged does not seem to be as friendly as I expected? Maybe I am loosing my touch as I age, but I felt quite inept today trying to figure it out. I think though I finally have things settled up. I also had to remember that a 5 channel is inclusive of steering and throttle...the reason why I have a 6 channel receiver. Trying to set the dig and two speed on the A and B channel was frustrating until I discovered I had to un-bine the A and B from throttle and steering trim settings. The endpoint adjust and other features seem to work well and the ergo of the radio are solid. I also find my steering to get kinda funny sometimes, twitching or the wheels on the truck turn like a phantom when the truck is at an odd angle? Its pretty weird.

Second: I do get some clicking, but it does not bother me too much, I assume somewhere in the build I reversed one of the pins and gear faces. Oh well, not sure if it will cause any harm, I will probably will just leave it.

Third: I was really excited about the Mytrick lighting. So far has been a bust. First my kit was missing the halo lights... booo, I installed the rest and didn't think much of it. I sent them an email, didn't hear anything yet, but I expect something from that. I assume they will respond, but maybe Christmas vacation week? So I setup the rest, and powered it on, everything was responsive and lit up right. I was operating the set from the button attached to the controller. I decided I wanted to get it operating from the radio, so I followed the prompt on their YouTube video and expected results, but couldn't get the Rugged to respond. So I decided to start fresh and I deleted and re-binded my radio to the transmitter. AND of course I made S**t worse. ugh. Now, I am not sure how, but my now my headlight LED will not function properly, everything else seems to function tho. This makes very little sense. I can control the set from the button affixed to the controller, but the headlight setting does not function. If I flick through the settings I get just the right headlight low-beam only, the left light does not work. and then the high beam is like a strobe on the right side. I am wondering if I screwed something up.

Other then a few hiccups everything is awesome, I really hope I can get the lights working. Not sure how responsive Mytrick is, we shall see.

What photo posting service are most people using now-adays? Cannot remember what I used years ago to get pictures up here...

Thanks for reading through.
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2020, 07:23 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Cliffdawg's Rig mytrick issues

Tapatalk or Flicker for pictures.
What controller from my trick are you using DG1?

I’ve got two sets, DG1 with 6halos, one without any. Both work to the letter.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:46 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yah, dg-1. It seems pretty straightforward. Not sure whats going on...
Old 12-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have the DG-1 controller on two trucks using a DX5C radio. I have mine setup on button F (but you do have to remove it from it's normal configuration of "Brake Rate"). I do find that on every third or fourth time I plug in the battery I have to unplug and replug the battery to get the DG-1 to "sync" with the radio. I've also found that if you'll give it about a minute to boot up before you try to cycle through the different light settings. I would think that considering the holidays you'll get your halos straightened out soon enough.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Mytrick straightened everything out. Great people over there. Now if I could just get my dx5 rugged to function my lights. Right now I have the throttle plugged into the adapter, plugged into the throttle channel. Then using the connection supplied plugged into my aux channel 1programed my aux1 to the g button, try then to thumb through the settings to no avail. I am done for the night, very frustrated. Oh well...

Last edited by cliffdawg; 01-12-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Figured out the DX5 issue, totally on me. It turns out for some reason, with my esc you have to turn on the ESC before turning on the DG-1.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

As you discovered, the DG-1 needs a receiver signal before it will let you cycle the settings through the radio. The same unresponsiveness happens on mine if I power everything up with the radio off or on another profile for too long, the light controller won't respond or act right. A couple minutes with the battery unplugged is needed to fully reset, I've found.

On your steering, depending on what servo you're using, it sounds like you might be seeing a low voltage or BEC power fluctuation when under load. I don't know your complete electrical setup, but I've seen a standalone BEC or battery direct powered servo is nearly required on these heavier rigs to keep steering authority in high bind situations.
1stGen is offline   Reply With Quote

Cliffdawg's Rig mytrick issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mytrick RC lighting control on fire Optimusprime10 Electronics 21 06-25-2020 07:11 AM
Now In Stock - NEW MyTrick RC Attack LED Light Kit - Redcat Scout II RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-26-2019 04:14 PM
Couple issues with my custom scx10 based rig corwin Axial SCX-10 3 09-03-2015 04:49 PM
Tonka tow rig 4wd conversion recovery rig and trailer NissanNut 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 02-13-2015 02:36 PM
esc issues or elec issues camogonewild Newbie General 5 03-11-2014 11:19 AM