Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Best Shock for what purpose?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Best Shock for what purpose?

So I am seeing quite a bit of leakage from the stock Axial shocks. I have previously built TLR shocks with minimal leakage and great movement. I am probably thinking about going that route. What are peoples thoughts and opinions on the different shock offerings on the market. I have noticed a LOT of different choices and it seems very confusing. Traxxas, Team associated, Desert lizards, ect... What would one choose if they want reliability? How about Scale looks? What about the most plush ride? Can I install a longer shock? Also what is the choice for shock oil WT and brand? I am currently using Losi oil and 50wt? Thanks for the tips,

Clif
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Best Shock for what purpose?

Axial shocks can go straight in the garbage, I don't even bolt them on my rigs anymore.

If you want budget friendly, Traxxas GTS shocks.
If you want higher end, Proline powerstroke shocks.

As far as I know, most of the best scale looking shocks do not perform well and leak, including the RC4WD King shocks.

You can install longer shocks, but the taller your ride height gets, the more top heavy your rig will become and it suffers in performance. Most guys run 90-100mm if you're going to use your crawler as intended.

Shock springs and oil weight is going to come down to your driving intentions and the weight of your rig. I would find a shock that fits your budget and needs, then compare to what others have done with those shocks on a scx10.3.

I've just finished building a 10.3 and I used 90mm proline powerstrokes but the stock powerstroke springs are way too stiff. I have a spring kit in the mail so I can't comment on dialing them in just yet.
2wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Best Shock for what purpose?

X2 GTS shocks

I tried a set of Desert Lizard 100mm piggyback shocks and they looked good, but they were super stiff. I changed to 10wt oil because I bought them used and didn’t know what oil wt was in it. Anyways, even after I changed it, they were still stiff as can be. The internal spring is super stiff, maybe you can change it? They never leaked though.

So yeah, I’d say GTS shocks are the way to go. I’ve had 3 pairs and none have ever leaked.

Best Shock for what purpose? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the purpose of your bomber? bentles Axial RR10 Bomber 32 07-05-2017 05:35 PM
What is the purpose of moving the front shock hoops back? alexchen86 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 9 09-12-2012 05:12 PM
Purpose of Lockouts? aggierc Newbie General 2 11-25-2009 07:24 PM