Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 06:09 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
Calling this a 10.III is a real stretch by Axial. I mean, the only difference between this and a Wranger/Early Bronco would be (ignoring the body) the bumpers, body mounts, chassis braces, gearbox, center chassis, links, wheels, and tires. I'm absolutely fine with the almost completely new truck, as the 10.III is one of my least favorite crawlers. This is clearly Axial's answer to the TRX-4 Sport. I just refuse to recognize it as a 10.III.
Axial changed even more than that between versions of the 10.2.

This is closer to my 10.3 kit than the 10.2 Honcho was to my 10.2 Cherokee kit.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2022, 06:50 AM   #22
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I agree as well, but I think axial had a different customer in mind compared to vp when they designed any of their rigs.

A Vs410 I look at as geared towards someone who wants a complete truck kit, that they can outfit with their own electronics. And while there are “upgrades”/option parts, the vehicle doesn’t necessarily need them.

Kind of a shame how many negative comments axial is getting on this (at least on YouTube). People have been asking for a more basic version for a while and now that it’s here, it’s still not good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed, there is no doubt the market they are targeting is entry level. Of course an experienced builder can take any platform to any level of choosing. As a kit this will have the potential to reach an even wider market while remaining competitive with Element and Traxxas(both of whom appear to sell lots of solid entry level kits).

For an experienced builder who has not enjoyed a Phoenix, 100 bucks is nothing. The choice would be obvious. I can only imagine this will outsell the Phoenix overall, simply because everyone is the market audience.

The hate will always flow

As has been said endlessly, haters gonna hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
This is clearly Axial's answer to the TRX-4 Sport.
100% .The parallel’s between the two platforms is glaring. It seemed to me the first 10.3 was a pretty clear response to the TRX4 Defender as well.

It’s never a bad idea to mimick what is successful. Love or hate Traxxas, they are just that.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 07:21 AM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
As a kit this will have the potential to reach an even wider market while remaining competitive with Element and Traxxas(both of whom appear to sell lots of solid entry level kits).
Another thing in the favor of Axial is Horizon has put in effort to make it much more favorable to dealers to sell their trucks. There are a lot of hobby shops out there influencing customers and if truck A and truck B are comparable but one nets the shop $20 and one nets the shop $100, you know which one the customer is being pushed toward.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 08:19 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

I like this machine and might have to jump in.

It looks like some heavier wheels, hub weights, and better foam would help a lot.

I think it would have been almost too hard to not buy right now if it had straight axles, but this is going to be a better crawler over the JLUs / Gladiators, so the portals suit that.

Last edited by tonered; 05-06-2022 at 10:05 AM.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Seems like a great entry lvl truck, the body sure resembles the proline metric body.

Not a bad move from axial.
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:06 AM   #26
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
It would be a plus to have those pieces fit. Details would definitely inject some reality into the body. Either way, being an Axial product I feel pretty confident that before too long there will be all the 3d printed pieces and then some
I completely agree!

I'm sure James at Knight Customs is already on the job!
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Agreed, there is no doubt the market they are targeting is entry level. Of course an experienced builder can take any platform to any level of choosing. As a kit this will have the potential to reach an even wider market while remaining competitive with Element and Traxxas(both of whom appear to sell lots of solid entry level kits).

For an experienced builder who has not enjoyed a Phoenix, 100 bucks is nothing. The choice would be obvious. I can only imagine this will outsell the Phoenix overall, simply because everyone is the market audience.

The hate will always flow

As has been said endlessly, haters gonna hate

100% .The parallel’s between the two platforms is glaring. It seemed to me the first 10.3 was a pretty clear response to the TRX4 Defender as well.

It’s never a bad idea to mimick what is successful. Love or hate Traxxas, they are just that.

Oh no hate here at all. Just an observation from a certain perspective.

I will probably be picking this up, but not right away. I might wait a bit to see if a builder's kit comes out since the 10.2 RBK is now discontinued, I'd have to hope that a 10.3 RBK will take its place.

Regarding this vs the TRX4 Sport.... Personally, for myself.... I think I'd prefer this new 10.3 layout. I prefer the AR45 axles and I think the simple transmission on skid setup is going to open up a lot of room for customization and configuration. I can see a lot of aftermarket targeting that area.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 10:29 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
Regarding this vs the TRX4 Sport.... Personally, for myself.... I think I'd prefer this new 10.3 layout. I prefer the AR45 axles and I think the simple transmission on skid setup is going to open up a lot of room for customization and configuration. I can see a lot of aftermarket targeting that area.

I agree, I like ar45’s over trx4 axles, the gearing is better (more versatile) in the lcxu trans, and I like the convenience of being able to swap in straight axles. Makes for an all around more versatile platform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Basecamp? Is that the real name? May as well call it the Axial Sport. In any case, good that they came out with a cheaper option though, some of the RTR's are closing in on $600 - that's a lot of clams. Chassis is nice enough, but not sold at all on that body.

Love the new transmission, I can't stand the stock trans in my III kit....it's an overengineered, loud, hot mess. It's the main reason my III sits on the bench collecting dust. Hope it's available separate.
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 02:03 PM   #30
Rock Crawler

I am really trying not to pre-order one, but am getting sucked in...
AK KRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 06:56 PM   #31
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Another thing in the favor of Axial is Horizon has put in effort to make it much more favorable to dealers to sell their trucks. There are a lot of hobby shops out there influencing customers and if truck A and truck B are comparable but one nets the shop $20 and one nets the shop $100, you know which one the customer is being pushed toward.
Ah, interesting. I did not know this about Horizon.
Quote:
Oh no hate here at all. Just an observation from a certain perspective.

I will probably be picking this up, but not right away. I might wait a bit to see if a builder's kit comes out since the 10.2 RBK is now discontinued, I'd have to hope that a 10.3 RBK will take its place.

I wasn’t referring to to you soze. It was In Reference to you or someone mentioning all the shit-talk on a social media page somewhere.

There is definitely something to be said for simple and low mounted centre transmissions. The way the gears configure to work with both the portal and straight axles is pretty neat.
Old 05-07-2022, 04:15 AM   #32
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:

I agree with both statements.

I would like to see this in kit form without the electronics and clear body.

And I think I do prefer this version of the 10.3 over the TRX-4. I have a TRX-4 and love how indestructible it is, but the platform itself is older and needs a refresh. I like the new 10.3 chassis and changes that were made to it and will more than likely buy this when it comes out in a kit.

Though if I had to choose my favorite chassis at the moment, it would still be the Element RC Enduro. The Gatekeeper Kit is still the best deal out there right now IMO!
Old 05-07-2022, 07:21 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

i kinda like it it reminds me alot of the redcat gen7
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 08:33 PM   #34
Rock Crawler

I like anything that competes effectively against a Traxxas product. Mostly due to Traxxas' response to customer complaints.

Traxxas is notoriously horrible about taking care of people who have spent money on their products. But a good truck is still a good truck, so I wouldn't pass on a Traxxas product if it really is the best in its class.

But a competitive truck from a company who takes good care of their customers... that's getting my money everytime.
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 09:37 PM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
I like anything that competes effectively against a Traxxas product. Mostly due to Traxxas' response to customer complaints.

Traxxas is notoriously horrible about taking care of people who have spent money on their products. But a good truck is still a good truck, so I wouldn't pass on a Traxxas product if it really is the best in its class.

But a competitive truck from a company who takes good care of their customers... that's getting my money everytime.

agreed.

I personally haven’t had much issue with Traxxas except getting my ESC replaced on my first TRX4, but to be fair that was nearly 2 years ago. But I have heard worse.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:35 AM   #36
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
I agree with both statements.

I would like to see this in kit form without the electronics and clear body.
!
^^This would sell me on it at this point. Especially if they threw in inner fenders, and some moulded light buckets with a grill. The body has enormous potential for some Tacoma builds. Sadly, as it is it looks intentionally down played. A waste, really.

What we are after is, really, an Axial variant of the Trx4 Sport Kit. Traxxas adds some sweet detail in it. The new Axial tire are good lookin, I would like a set but not sure they are good enough that I would buy them a la carte for full price.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:46 AM   #37
Rock Crawler

A lot of guys have TRX4s here in the UK, but they just don't perform on the level of other offerings, this new Axial is over $500 when converted to get here in the UK (actually around $530) which makes it way too expensive for what it is (at least for the UK market)
Best option over here still is Element, priced well, solid trucks (at least the 6 I have and my girlfriends GK have been solid) OD in the trans as standard and plenty of options to suit everyones tastes.
Can't see the Base Camp selling well over here, maybe a few will pick it up just to run it as is and if they really 'need' portals.
Would quite like to see a new Element truck with some portals.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:26 AM   #38
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
Best option over here still is Element, priced well, solid trucks (at least the 6 I have and my girlfriends GK have been solid) OD in the trans as standard and plenty of options to suit everyones tastes.

Would quite like to see a new Element truck with some portals.
I have to agree. Element is a solid rig that can be built into many different styles and classes. The prices are right where they should be. I absolutely love all of my Element rigs!

I am surprised we haven't seen portals from Element yet. I'm sure though that the portals have been on their drawing board for some time now! I'm not a huge fan of portals, but I would like to see that option.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #39
Rock Crawler

I doubt they'll release a raw builder's kit from this truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uvhu2cEr9I >> Listen to the first sentence spoken by "TJ" of Horizon Hobby: "Whether you're looking to start your RC crawling adventure or you're looking for a blank slate for your next custom build...this one's for you." With the downward spiraling direction our economy has gone in, Horizon is going to go with the most profitable package, in order to stay in business. As household incomes get more stretched, recreational spending gets reduced, so don't be surprised if you see less and less variety from the big RC companies, as they struggle to stay afloat. I hope I'm wrong, and that things improve, but it looks pretty grim for the near future.
johnnyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #40
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluv View Post
I doubt they'll release a raw builder's kit from this truck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uvhu2cEr9I >> Listen to the first sentence spoken by "TJ" of Horizon Hobby: "Whether you're looking to start your RC crawling adventure or you're looking for a blank slate for your next custom build...this one's for you." With the downward spiraling direction our economy has gone in, Horizon is going to go with the most profitable package, in order to stay in business. As household incomes get more stretched, recreational spending gets reduced, so don't be surprised if you see less and less variety from the big RC companies, as they struggle to stay afloat. I hope I'm wrong, and that things improve, but it looks pretty grim for the near future.
I agree with your general analysis of economic issues, but see that as a justification for a kit. Folks would be able to reuse components to finish the kit that costs less than an RTR. This would seem right for folks that have the SCX10 II and want an SCX10 III. Great way to move in?

I think the one that made the most sense for no kit (posted above) to me is that more folks want RTR. That is where I came in, and lived to regret it, esp the way that the RTR was delivered. I had to disassemble a good pit of it to pull the 2spd spacer. At least the BaseCamp comes wtih a separate radio and ESC. My earliest R/Cs were kits that I enjoyed building. Since, I got a few RTRs that were great out of the box and worked beyond my expectation. The JLU was less so for the reasons that I noted.

Last edited by tonered; 05-10-2022 at 01:20 PM.
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote

NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10iii freaking out rob.gerwig Axial SCX10 III 7 06-03-2021 04:41 PM
New SCX10III RTR REDdawn6 Axial SCX10 III 0 12-05-2020 09:12 AM
My SCX10iii dezracer99 Axial SCX10 III 8 05-26-2020 02:08 PM