Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2022, 07:42 AM   #1
Slow is the new Fast

Default NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

Taking us forward or back in time?

Seems somewhat underwhelming

Here is Harley Designs on it

https://youtu.be/HKn-C42PwVk
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2022, 08:04 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

Scale Builders Guild video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg6YjPf7UB4
spectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Axial needed a lower cost RTR on a current platform because $500+ trucks aren’t going to bring in the new people. Seems like they hit most of the marks without getting too cheap and compares pretty well with the TRX4 Sport and Element Sendero. Like those others, there are some obvious areas for improvement but you can overlook them for the price.

Axial will sell a ton of them.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:14 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Axial needed a lower cost RTR on a current platform because $500+ trucks aren’t going to bring in the new people. Seems like they hit most of the marks without getting too cheap and compares pretty well with the TRX4 Sport and Element Sendero. Like those others, there are some obvious areas for improvement but you can overlook them for the price.

Boom! Exactly correct. The TRX gang won’t like the level field. Most of the whining is about either dig or two speed, this stops that. IIRC it was the same with the diffs on the trx4, the sport solved that.
Good price point.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

Good observation. All things considered, it fits very nicely into the market with the elements and the trx4 sports.

Given the choice I’d rather have the ar45’s, portal or straight, vs the other rtr options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:28 AM   #6
Slow is the new Fast

Axial did need an entry level, bare bones 10.3. This does seem to take them one step closer to potentially culling the 10.2. I look forward to the kit version, which I think is all but a guarantee on this. Hopefully they include some of the basic stuff like inner fenders and and interior panel to go along with the clear windows. Often the little stuff adds up quite handsomely for the end consumer when bought a la carte.

I found it intriguing that Horizon brought back the old 540 can they had in the Ascender. Warehouse Surplus perhaps? also, Josh compared the shocks to the the old Ascender which surprised me. They were good, so no concerns there. Ultimately I hope they become a quality option going forward.

The body is clearly an 05 2nd gen Tacoma no?
Old 05-05-2022, 09:11 AM   #7
Go Buckeyes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
The body is clearly an 05 2nd gen Tacoma no?
Looks like it too me! I have a thing for generic bodies and I can't wait to pick up a clear version of it. Being a Tacoma is a huge plus!

And it looks awfully similar to the Pro-Line Metric body. The Knight Customs 3D prints just might fit on this body.
B-MOW71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-MOW71 View Post
Looks like it too me!

And it looks awfully similar to the Pro-Line Metric body. The Knight Customs 3D prints just might fit on this body.
It would be a plus to have those pieces fit. Details would definitely inject some reality into the body. Either way, being an Axial product I feel pretty confident that before too long there will be all the 3d printed pieces and then some
Old 05-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Very interesting for custom builds. If not a kit version, then at least an ARTR (almost ready to run) without the electronics, so builders can chose their own.
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:37 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I'm actually intrigued on this one for just the chassis. The 10.3 as-is right now makes for a nice scale-style runner. With the simpler transmission and removed bulk, I'm wondering if this could possibly start giving the 10.2 some competition as a starting point for a more capable performer.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'm actually intrigued on this one for just the chassis. The 10.3 as-is right now makes for a nice scale-style runner. With the simpler transmission and removed bulk, I'm wondering if this could possibly start giving the 10.2 some competition as a starting point for a more capable performer.

I agree, I commented on Josh’s video but I’ll repeat it here, the 10.2 honcho is $40 less, and comes with dog bones, plastic links, sintered 1-piece ring gears, and some of the worst shocks ever made.

I think these will be good candidates for custom/performance builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
Very interesting for custom builds. If not a kit version, then at least an ARTR (almost ready to run) without the electronics, so builders can chose their own.

I’m with you, it’s unfortunate for us that rtr’s sell better than kits.

Old 05-05-2022, 02:54 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I think one huge positive for the rtr is the 40a esc/ separate rx….. perfect for a winch controller
Watching Josh wheel it, not to bad for a box stock RTR, yeah Josh can drive, but no endos or massive rolls

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:27 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think I might join the 10.3 group with this one... Feels like a 10.2 honcho to me, bare bones basic. And for $40 more than a honcho with portals... I have a UMG cab just sitting here painted and ready.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Just food for thought.

The Vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix kit at $100 more than this rig... seems like a better value?
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:03 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I personally like it as a entry level truck. Reminds me of a cheap trail finder.
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:17 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Just food for thought.

The Vanquish VS4-10 Phoenix kit at $100 more than this rig... seems like a better value?
Can't deny the quality of Vanquish, but $100 is $100. Plus electronics, and the complexity of dig and selectable OD... I know they can be locked out but its just more moving parts.

Plus more electronics to use until I burn them up. I can sell the tx/rx around here for $30 pretty easily. Motor esc look to be hobbywing stuff so pretty solid but cheap. Motor... I run throwaway 540's... so no problem, when it burns up I will go HH for $15. Servo in my honcho lasted 3 years... I know not everyone's experience, but mine. A cheap Savox replacement when it dies. So a cheap runner fo years of use that cost less with replacement parts than a Better quality kit without electronics.

I just got off the phone with the lhs and a grey one has my name on it
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just food for thought.

Agreed here. Better axles, steering, links, trans, FMM and body out the box on the Phoenix. While it’s not RTR, you can pickup stock electronics for another $50-75 from the marketplace to complete the package.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smog View Post
... I look forward to the kit version, ...
^^^This^^^ And PLEASE make it a clear body with window masks......pretty please.
OnTheTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 08:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Default NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcagno45 View Post
Agreed here. Better axles, steering, links, trans, FMM and body out the box on the Phoenix. While it’s not RTR, you can pickup stock electronics for another $50-75 from the marketplace to complete the package.

I agree as well, but I think axial had a different customer in mind compared to vp when they designed any of their rigs.

A Vs410 I look at as geared towards someone who wants a complete truck kit, that they can outfit with their own electronics. And while there are “upgrades”/option parts, the vehicle doesn’t necessarily need them.

This version of the 10.3 is more entry level, or for somebody that looks forward to upgrading most of the vehicle.

Kind of a shame how many negative comments axial is getting on this (at least on YouTube). People have been asking for a more basic version for a while and now that it’s here, it’s still not good enough

Last edited by twade984; 05-05-2022 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 10:31 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Calling this a 10.III is a real stretch by Axial. I mean, the only difference between this and a Wranger/Early Bronco would be (ignoring the body) the bumpers, body mounts, chassis braces, gearbox, center chassis, links, wheels, and tires. I'm absolutely fine with the almost completely new truck, as the 10.III is one of my least favorite crawlers. This is clearly Axial's answer to the TRX-4 Sport. I just refuse to recognize it as a 10.III.
DrIsotope is offline   Reply With Quote

NEW SCX10iii BASECAMP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scx10iii freaking out rob.gerwig Axial SCX10 III 7 06-03-2021 04:41 PM
New SCX10III RTR REDdawn6 Axial SCX10 III 0 12-05-2020 09:12 AM
My SCX10iii dezracer99 Axial SCX10 III 8 05-26-2020 02:08 PM