Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: 4in Lift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2022, 08:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 4in Lift

Hey, Folks.

I have had the straight axle kit for a while but have been slacking on trying it out. Mainly the need to lube the seals with slime and paint the stupid red diff covers. I get it that it is Axial's thang, but just not for me. I've done similar stuff on my real truck that makes friends laugh.

The main reason that I got the kit was for the 100mm shocks. Yeah, I know. Axial shocks suck and there are less expensive, better ones for much less. But, I did want to play with the straight axles eventually. 55wt oil seems to perform well and keep the big drips at bay.

I only had time to set them up, rebuild the stock ones, and paint the diff covers yesterday. But, it looks like the longer shocks serve as better bump stops at full flex. Mission accomplished, maybe. I suppose my biggest gripe overall is that the body uses those big, interfering lugs to attach the fenders. I'm not a fan of 1:1 Wranglers with aftermarket flares, so I am trying to not do that here. I think it would have been cool if the flares attached to the wheel well liners instead of the body?

I'll give it a run in the next couple days and post up pics. Hoping the front drive shaft has enough spline. Hahaha!
tonered is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 4in Lift

I should have taken Before pics. But, it looks like I mainly added a scale 4in of down travel, which is great with me.

Before:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3b5K4eRumvyRmz7Z9

Current:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VU73NpXicEe5R11e9

Last edited by tonered; 10-11-2022 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:34 PM   #3

Looks pretty good!
Shep77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 07:51 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep77 View Post
Looks pretty good!
Thanks!

Got it out around the house on Saturday. Climbed obstacles a lot easier. Where I had to set a good line in the past, now it just didn't care. And less rubbing when flexed.

Although, slightly more likely to roll off camber. The full interior is in, but I think some of the is due to the extra stroke in the shocks giving the CG more room to move in the bad direction? Haha!

I hate to say it, but it was worth upgrade. Gonna be hard to swap in the straight axles.

4in Lift - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Proline 4in LED not bright larrymuld Electronics 4 05-15-2018 10:05 PM
anyone running 4in. shocks mini freak Axial SCX-10 6 12-24-2011 02:25 PM