Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Made some Changes to my SCX10iii

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2022, 09:53 PM   #1

Default Made some Changes to my SCX10iii

I Bought some Amazon Beadlocks and a set of Injora SuperSwamper knock offs.

Unfortunately I bought the wrong size. I got the 1.9 tire in 110mm diameter.
What I SHOULD have got is the 1.9 tire in 120mm diameter, which pretty much is what the Stock Nitto Trail Grabbers measure out to. I loose about 5mm ride height and lower my gear ratio a slight bit. More on this later.

I also installed my new Holmes Hobby Crawlmaster Sport 15T and dropped one tooth down to 13 on the pinion, again, lowering my Gear ratios a bit. Love this Combo so far!

Also I Fixed my stinkin Dig once and for all. Burned a Hundred Dollars worth of incense and Shouted Arcane Incantations at it ..... Trail Tested on the rocks and it works flawlessly.

I had to get rid of the stock radio (because it sucks). My options were to buy a Spektrum DX5 to bind to the Stock Firma ESC,,,,,for about $150....My old DX3 wont bind to the Firma and its new architecture, and this is not the First Time Spektrum has rained on my Parade.....
OR,,,,,Toss the Firma ESC, buy a 1080 QuickRun and a GT5B radio for about $100 total. Y'all can probably guess which Direction I went with That.....
Turns out the GT5B is nicer than I expected. No regrets there!

So. Hows it all workin out? Very Nicely indeed.
The HH Motor is awesome. Even with the smaller tires and smaller pinion, the Truck is faster than Stock and feels Way more torquey. The new Tires are a Lot stickier than the Nittos and make for a marked improvement in my local Rocks, although I DO notice/miss those 5mm of ground clearance. I tend to look at the Bright Side. My Center of gravity is 5mm lower, right? Better side hilling, lol. And now that my Dig is not pissing me off anymore, well,,,, thats a good thing too! The Truck s working better than ever and I am mucho pleased!

For the Future? I would like to try a lighter body. Maybe the JConcepts Power Wagon. I think thats about the End for mods on this Truck. Gotta save money for my Next Platform
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2022, 07:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Made some Changes to my SCX10iii

sounds cool
but we like pics

i dont think the chiwampers come in 120mm and in 1.9 size i think the 120mm are for 2.2 wheels
i could be wrong but im pretty sure
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
sounds cool
but we like pics

i dont think the chiwampers come in 120mm and in 1.9 size i think the 120mm are for 2.2 wheels
i could be wrong but im pretty sure
Im a noob. Cant Post pics yet.

Unless they are lying on Amazon about the Posted measurments, you CAN get Chiwampers in 120mm. Ive ordered some and will Rat them out if the measurements dont hold true.....

On a side note.....I bought my Green Star, so I should be getting promoted to Picture Posting Status as soon as my account is updated.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #4

They were NOT lying about tire size on Amazon. They are , however confused about Tread patterns, lol.

Tire on the left is about 4.75 in tall (119mm).
Tire on right is about 4 & 5/16 in. tall (110mm)
Both Tires are labeled SUPER SWAMPER TYRE. I dont know which, if either is correct.
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2022, 08:16 PM   #5

Here is a Pic of the Jeep with the smaller tires.
And this is how I solved the Dig Problem
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2022, 08:46 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
They were NOT lying about tire size on Amazon. They are , however confused about Tread patterns, lol.

Tire on the left is about 4.75 in tall (119mm).
Tire on right is about 4 & 5/16 in. tall (110mm)
Both Tires are labeled SUPER SWAMPER TYRE. I dont know which, if either is correct.

The larger of the two is a copy of the Pro-Line Hyrax, the smaller is a copy of the Super Swamper tsl. I had a set of those TSL’s, they worked surprisingly good for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:05 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Exactly what twade said.

Those smaller tires are knockoff (scale) Interco TSL Super Swampers. The bigger are knockoff Proline Hyrax' (not scale)

Proline makes a version of both and they probably aren't much more expensive for a higher quality tire from a reputable brand.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc-93 View Post
Exactly what twade said.

Those smaller tires are knockoff (scale) Interco TSL Super Swampers. The bigger are knockoff Proline Hyrax' (not scale)

Proline makes a version of both and they probably aren't much more expensive for a higher quality tire from a reputable brand.

Proline Hyrax are $32 for 2ea with foams. Plus delivery from AMAIN.

I paid $22 for 4ea with foams. Free Delivery from Amazon Prime, aaaand they came the next day.

These tires feel like Prolines Trail Tire compound, G8?
They are quite a bit stickier than the Stock Nitto Grabbers that came with the truck, and they are the same size... Granted,,,,they arent the Predator compund, but this aint no Comp Rig,,,,,and I cant see paying 3X price for tires going on a Trail Rig.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:02 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redharris View Post
Proline Hyrax are $32 for 2ea with foams. Plus delivery from AMAIN.

I paid $22 for 4ea with foams. Free Delivery from Amazon Prime, aaaand they came the next day.
That's perfectly reasonable. Truth be told, I didn't actually look at the prices of each, I just remember the real Hyrax' not being overly expensive (compared to other brand name tires).

If the tires suit your needs, and you don't care about any brand names, there's no sense in buying the real version of any tires.

Chances are the Amazon tires are cast from the same mold (or a reverse engineered one) as the real Hyrax. You can find the same thing with the Voodoo KLR and Pitbull tires.

Last edited by smc-93; 10-26-2022 at 01:58 PM.
smc-93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Made some Changes to my SCX10iii - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My SCX10iii dezracer99 Axial SCX10 III 8 05-26-2020 02:08 PM