Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX10 III

Notices

Thread: Ruined scx10 pro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2023, 04:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Ruined scx10 pro

I'll get to the name. Lol

I wasn't really planning to do a thread on this since I'm not doing anything special or unique at this point. Maybe I'll get there later so might as well document the process.

Some quick thoughts on the kit. I was pretty happy with the build process. The instructions were meh, but I did like that each step was its own bag. I didn't have to spend any effort hunting parts.

The trans was a little fiddly. The only mix up I had was when I grabbed a couple of the wrong tooth count gears on the counter shaft. Thankfully I noticed before moving ahead, but pay close attention on those.

Here's a couple obligatory build photos. I went axle mounted for the steering servo for now. No comps around me so I don't really need to follow those guidelines. I'm trying to stay close enough that I could run a comp if the opportunity presents itself.

Here's where I left off on the first day. Took about 4hrs to get to this point
bgredjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2023, 06:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Ruined scx10 pro

Day 2 I went ahead and built the shocks. I tried to be lazy and use some trx4 shocks I had on hand, but with the standard size springs and adjusters they hit the chassis.

I wasn't in a hurry to finish the build since I'm still waiting on parts, but I didn't like the axles flopping around when I needed to move the car.

The shock build was as easy as any I've done before. If I was better prepared I would have installed some x rings, but they are smooth and leak free so far. I used losi 45wt oil. I might bump up to 60 but I'll wait to see how it feels with the full weight on the rig.

I tossed some wheels on it to get the axles of the ground. Still waiting on wheels and tires, and motor, and servo...
Old 05-16-2023, 07:51 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I see no ruination yet...

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen many build threads on these. This is what, the second? I figured they would be all over.

In any case, it's a good looking kit, definitely interested in seeing it finished off.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 08:15 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post

I'm kinda surprised I haven't seen many build threads on these. This is what, the second? I figured they would be all over.

In any case, it's a good looking kit, definitely interested in seeing it finished off.

I think the pricing is a large factor in that equation. I’m mildly interested in checking out the new chassis, but I’m having a hard time forking out the money.

OP, thanks for sharing, look forward to more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 03:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Here it comes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twade984 View Post
I think the pricing is a large factor in that equation.
I agree on the price issue. It is not inexpensive. I debated about buying one for a few months. I've never built a comp style crawler, but when I saw this released it just kinda stuck in my head and didn't go away. Lol.

I did a lot of comparison before I went for the pro kit. It really came down to the price of this kit vs the price of putting together something like a g-speed. I didn't have a car that I could take the axles and trans from. Buying another car to build from wasnt going to save any money for sure.
Old 05-16-2023, 03:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So the wheels came in. These caught my eye on Amazon weeks before i got the kit and this seemed like a good place to use them.

Just some inexpensive carbon 2.2 beadlocks. There were a few different patterns available. I just went for the one that looked the strongest. The hub adapters that came with them were junk, but the wheels are nice imo. I put some weights I had in the hubs since I didn't feel like spending for the brass knuckles.

According to some rando on Facebook, 2.2s ruined the car. "It's designed to work with 4.75" tires". Well I wanted bigger tires and I'll make it work.

I ordered a set of hyrax lp tires but they weren't in yet. Just for kicks I mounted one of my bomber BFGs to see how they look. I didn't get any pics, but they were obviously way too big. Based on that test fit, I figured I needed a little extra wheelbase.

I had enough of the long trx4 rod ends on hand to do all the lower links, and I moved the upper links out 1 hole front and rear. It ended up right at 16mm longer overall. The front didn't need anything extra. For the rear I tossed in a longer center section of driveshaft.

Old 05-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

The tires and motor came in. I also tossed in a servo I had just to test with. I ordered another 9imod 70kg direct power servo that'll replace the one pictured.

Motor is a fusion pro. This is my 3rd one of these systems. They just work really well, and makes for clean and simple packaging in the car.

Tires are the hyrax LP. These are officially the smallest tires I own. They look great and with the couple extra mm of wheelbase I added they just clear the sliders. The only contact I'm getting is with the front bumper at full lock and full stuff.

I also tossed in an nsdrc micro servo for the trans. I don't know if it'll be useful, but I put this on a 3 position switch so the middle puts the rear axle in neutral. Not quite dig, but the option was there so why not.

Old 05-17-2023, 04:47 PM   #8
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I think I like it too much!
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 10:34 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

On the shock oil: I would consider keeping it light. I think people are rushing to move to heavier shock oil too quickly, which makes the truck settle into position too late in awkward lines and makes it unstable between gates. Damping needs to be relative to your sprung and unsprung weight, so if you are using heavy 2.2s, lots of brass, etc then you may need more, but IMO the 35wt is really perfect for this. I even ran 25 for a while and it did very well also.

It's not a super heavy truck, so bumping up to 60 IMO would be a detriment. You obviously don't want it flopping around on side hills or have axles dropping down at high velocity, but 25-35wt keeps that under control without making it unstable at faster speeds and preventing it from settling too slowly.

Quote:
I think the pricing is a large factor in that equation. I’m mildly interested in checking out the new chassis, but I’m having a hard time forking out the money.
I have a Gspeed v4 that would probably be over $1200 for just the transmission/axles/driveline/axles/shocks/mounts/etc, so everything that comes with the Pro, and the Pro comes REALLY close to holding its own against it if not being totally equal or better in some situations. It's to the point that I come back from several hour long sessions at the course and can't decide which I'm making my dedicated C2.

I get that it sounds like a lot when you have a $450 RTR option, but for a comp rig, there is no less expensive option unless you only use stuff off Amazon and hope it all fits. It's a really good value when you consider what it costs relative to other comp trucks. I don't mean to call you out specifically, but all the people commenting on how much it is, I don't think have priced out what it costs to build a comp truck from the ground up using brand name components.

If you don't comp or aren't into that, then yea, I can see why people would find it expensive or a poor value.

Quote:
This forum is largely dead, people are posting builds on FB more than they are here in the various groups.
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinook View Post
I have a Gspeed v4 that would probably be over $1200 for just the transmission/axles/driveline/axles/shocks/mounts/etc, so everything that comes with the Pro, and the Pro comes REALLY close to holding its own against it if not being totally equal or better in some situations. It's to the point that I come back from several hour long sessions at the course and can't decide which I'm making my dedicated C2.

I get that it sounds like a lot when you have a $450 RTR option, but for a comp rig, there is no less expensive option unless you only use stuff off Amazon and hope it all fits. It's a really good value when you consider what it costs relative to other comp trucks. I don't mean to call you out specifically, but all the people commenting on how much it is, I don't think have priced out what it costs to build a comp truck from the ground up using brand name components.

If you don't comp or aren't into that, then yea, I can see why people would find it expensive or a poor value.
I don’t disagree with you, and just because I say I have a hard time paying the price, doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a good value.

I don’t comp, or intend to, so the level of performance this chassis offers isn’t necessary for me.

I’m very positive towards this rig, I’m glad axial did it, and there’s a good chance I’ll own one eventually.

I do wonder if they could have offered it with basic ar45’s and around the $300-$350 range, would it be more popular.

OP, I haven’t seen mention of a body yet. What have you got planned for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twade984 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 11:35 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I don’t disagree with you, and just because I say I have a hard time paying the price, doesn’t mean I don’t think it’s a good value.

I don’t comp, or intend to, so the level of performance this chassis offers isn’t necessary for me.

I’m very positive towards this rig, I’m glad axial did it, and there’s a good chance I’ll own one eventually.

I do wonder if they could have offered it with basic ar45’s and around the $300-$350 range, would it be more popular.
All fair. I agree if you don't comp it's a bit of a hefty price for a kit only, I'm not sure it'd be that great as a trail truck either given how low the skid sits, but people seem to be doing it. If you do go that route, I would use stiffer springs in the front, the stock springs have it sitting pretty much fully drooped
Shinook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 03:08 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Mine will be a trail truck, for no other reason than there aren't any comps around me. I'm not sure I'd really be into running comps either, I just like building capable rigs and trying hard lines. I don't think mine will ride full droop since I'm not running a winch or cms, light(ish) battery, and a light body.

For the body, I just pulled the trigger and ordered the new PL Coyote body. No idea when they are shipping, but hopefully not too much longer. I really liked the look of the jconcepts k10 crawler body, but I felt like it was a little too long, and a little too wide for what I wanted.

I'll have to see how it looks when I get it, but I've got an idea to make an aluminum bed for the body like I did for my wraith.

Since I'm posting, here's how it sits as of today. I got a Slash receiver box and it made for a clean chassis. Everything but the steering servo is how it's going to be. My batteries came as well. Zeee 2200 3s shorty packs. They fit nicely on the driver's side slider. Carbon servo mount came in today, but I'll wait until the servo comes to install that.

Old 05-18-2023, 03:14 PM   #13
RCC Addict

You dont need the panhard mount on the chassis if you're running axle mounted servo.

I see people (not just here) griping about the price. It would be nice if it were lower priced, but its 2023 and you can hardly get a fast food meal for under $15 anymore so it is what it is. Definitely cheaper than building from the ground up or converting a trail rig into a comp rig. And the thing performs very well without much tweaking. I've got top 3 in two of the three comps I've done with mine. I have no run time on it other than the comps. Comp #4 is Saturday and I expect to do better since I just ran it for a 50 gate course last weekend and got a much better feel for it. Only thing s I changed from stock build is SSD knuckles and 50wt in my shocks. 45 might be better but they didnt have any locally. Speaking of the shocks, mine leak a little. I might try a set of x rings in them but not sure if that will help. There's a lot of slop if you wiggle the shaft around.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
You dont need the panhard mount on the chassis if you're running axle mounted servo.
I figured someone would notice that eventually. As I was building the kit I wasn't sure which way I wanted to go with the servo mount so I put parts for both on. I'll ditch the panhard mount before its done.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

The China servo showed up a couple weeks earlier than expected so I got that installed last night. It's slightly taller than the temp servo I used so I made some 1/8" aluminum spacers. The bottom of the servo is flush with the axle tube.

Ideally I'd get a low pro servo, but not really looking to spend $100+ on that. Maybe if this one let's me down at some point. I'm running a pair of these on my capra and they've been trouble free and strong so far. Hoping for the same from this one.

Old 06-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Still waiting for the Coyote body to start shipping, but I got impatient and ordered this one for now. I really like the look of it, but I wish it was a little thicker.

Old 06-07-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Looks GREAT with that body!

Like some of those fully-built Jeep rock crawlers you see around Moab...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:10 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I might have to order one of those bodies. Its nice to see something other than a Power Wagon or Cliffhanger for a change.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 12:49 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

That body looks very well suited to the chassis.

What body is that? With a bit of trimming on the rear, I think I could make a decent monster truck body out of that...
Fallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 01:28 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen View Post
That body looks very well suited to the chassis.

What body is that? With a bit of trimming on the rear, I think I could make a decent monster truck body out of that...
Mon-tech mont-rock crawler. I ordered from amain.

It really is a nice fit on the pro. I pushed the bumpers out 1 hole on each end so they are still pretty tucked in and the body sits about perfect.

Ruined scx10 pro - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ruined servo.... JOSH1973 Electronics 2 01-02-2014 12:16 PM
ruined battery?? uclabruins89 Electronics 12 07-21-2013 09:02 PM
Moonbuggy ruined my course Walterf Videos! 6 03-06-2010 09:23 PM
ebay has been ruined maxxdrive Chit Chat 17 03-20-2006 11:11 AM
I ruined it!! BY NOT READING FIRST!! Dana44 General Crawlers 44 01-04-2006 12:20 AM