Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's review of the new Axial Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2011, 07:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Kaetwo's review of the new Axial Wraith

Before I begin my review, let me begin by explaining why I feel that I can give an honest review of the rig, even though it’s still unavailable to the public.

Firstly, I had the honor of attending the Montana Scale Nationals this past weekend, where PinchFlat and I judged courses for both Street class and Spec. Being that we were the first to offer our help with Spec, we requested to judge the Wraith course, and couldn’t have been happier when we were told that we would in fact be the judges for that course. As luck would have it, we also had the opportunity to setup the courses that these spec rigs would be running on.

Secondly, I own one

Let’s get on with the review!

As I mentioned above, PinchFlat and I had the opportunity to build the course that the Wraith would run on. It was here that we decided to test the following basic features;

• Stability at high speed
• Durability
• Jumping
• Crawling
• Layout and Setup
• WOW factor

The course was a short 3 minute lap that took the driver off several descents, multiple jumps, climbs, rock gardens and a high speed section over logs, rocks and various terrain. The course would challenge 39 drivers throughout the day and would definitely put the rig though its paces.

Here are the rough statistics that I was able to keep track of;

• Drivers ranged from 6 years old to 45+
• 2000/2Cell Lipo’s where used and charged 14 times
• The radio was dropped 4 times on rock
• Scores on course ranged from 0 points to 80+
• Times ranged from 1:00 minute to 3:00 minutes (Chino63 held the fastest time)
• EVERY competitor bound up the Wraith in the rock garden so hard, that it lost all steering and ESC movement periodically due to amping out. The reason that I mention this, is to help set the tone for how bound up and abused this rig was.
• Not once did the Wraith have to be repaired!!!!

Let’s go over the basic features above in more detail, scoring them from 1-10. 1 being terrible and 10 being a perfect score.

Stability at high speed - 9

The course was timed at 3 minutes, so each competitor had to move fairly quickly through the course, but to make things interesting we added a high speed section that shot the competitor about 50 feet between some small pine trees and back again, before hitting a rock garden. The Wraith ate up the terrain without any problem. Logs, rocks, grass, etc. where no match for this rig. What surprised me most was how well it tracked a straight line. The wheelbase to tire height is spot on, which makes the rig extremely stable and very predictable for such a large rig. Something else that surprised me was the sound of the rig as it ripped up the terrain. It was well worth the day of judging to experience that. With some shock tuning and a little weight in the tires, it would easily hit a 10.

Durability – 10

What can I say? It ran for 8 hours, 30+ drivers, 14 2000Mah battery charges and not a single failure!!!!!

Simply amazing.

Jumping – 8

The Wraith wasn’t as comfortable in the air as it was on the ground, but overall it did really well. The course that we setup, had 2 rock drop offs, that transitioned downhill and 1 rock ramp that required the driver to launch the Wraith through the finish gate. The rock drop offs where handled with ease by the Wraith, so long as you stayed on the throttle. Letting off the throttle forced the drag brake to engage and pitch the rig nose first into the ground. Stay on the throttle and it was a wicked ride out.

Crawling – 8.5

The Wraith was right at home through the rock garden section, and in fact got better and better as the day went on. The tires needed to be scrubbed in before they began working well, but once this happened, the rig really started to gel. Articulation and ground clearance where spot on, and the entire rig really felt light weight and nimble. With some shock tuning, wheel weight, and perhaps a set of Axials new R35 compound Ripsaws, the rig would be a fierce scale competitor.

Layout and Setup - 10

It doesn’t get much better than the Wraith for layout and setup. Open the box, add 4 double A batteries, install a charged battery into the rig and your off. Binding is setup from the factory and all the wires and electronics are tucked away and out of site.

Layout is what I really dig. The electronics are all tucked up front under the hood and the battery sits in the back, where it’s easy to get too and change. The coolest part is that there are NO BODY CLIPS required, and no body removal is needed to change out the battery. The position of the battery may cause some problems when crawling with a tradition 6 cell battery pack due to a rear weight bias, but if you opted to use a 2 cell lipo, the weight would be negligible and no change at all would be needed. The ESC has a 2 cell lipo cutoff feature, so running this setup would be no problem and the extra voltage makes for a bit more fun.

WOW Factor – 10+

Everyone that came to run the Wraith walked away with a huge grin on their face. The rig simply brings a smile to your face when you run it. It’s light, nimble, fast, has a huge amount of potential and best of all its wicked cool looking. It’s without a doubt one of the coolest rigs, Axial has come out with to date.

Things to note

A few things that I have notice with the rig that may interest some of the custom scale builders out there.
• The dash is separate from the rest of the interior, so making a dash from a parts tree should be no problem.
• The seats are wicked light and scale looking. There also 2 pieces, so you could recline or shorten them to your liking.
• It comes with 3 pairs of working lights
• The drive lines have a metal CVD connection and are fairly small in diameter. A bit more scale and a bit stronger.
• The electronics box is Waterproof

Conclusion

Overall the Wraith is an incredibly fun and potential rig that will once again make a huge change in the scale crawling community. I couldn’t be more stoked to own one and my kids have been having a riot with it. It’s without a doubt a must have for your RC collection!!!

PART II TOO MY REVIEW CAN BE FOUND HERE;

Kaetwo's review of the new Axial Wraith

Last edited by kaetwo; 05-30-2011 at 12:17 PM.
kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Great review I can't wait to start hopping up mine!
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for sharing, can't wait for mine!!
OurJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

sounds great, how accurately would you say the youtube vid relates to the actual ability speed/crawling/handling cause that video was bad ass been out of the hobby for bout 5 or 6 years trying to get back in an not sure either to hold out for this or grab a losi night crawler
poof_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:07 PM   #5
Say hello to my dactylion

I have to agree with everything kaetwo has written here. i will also add a few things I noticed.
  • The knuckles and Cs are from the XR10...instant upgrades available. YEAH!
  • Transmission outputs & Axle outputs (pinions) are hardened and drilled to accept the new double pinned CVD drivelines. No more slipped drivelines.
  • With only 2 cell lipos it is quite zippy with the 20t motor.
  • The new AX-2 2.4GHz TRANSMITTER feels quite nice an natural in the hand.
  • Oh yeah... it is wicked fun and bad ass.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Awesome review kaetwo
I thought i wanted it before, now, I really want it to show up

I'm lovin that Durability is a 10 & no body clips

& of course the WOW!!! factor

thanks
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:15 PM   #7
Say hello to my dactylion

Quote:
Originally Posted by poof_bitch View Post
sounds great, how accurately would you say the youtube vid relates to the actual ability speed/crawling/handling cause that video was bad ass been out of the hobby for bout 5 or 6 years trying to get back in an not sure either to hold out for this or grab a losi night crawler
This Video?

Actually, we were driving one of those 2 Wraiths in that video. The video accurately represents how the Wraith preforms...very much so. Get the Wraith if you like what you see in the video.
PinchFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

SO where are the pictures of the unicorn?
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

oh my gosh i cant wait....soon..baby..soon
roadman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 AM   #10
'08 2.2 National Champ

Running that Wraith course was the highlight of the weekend for me. I'm definitely getting at least 2, possibly 3 so my kids and I can have a blast. Perfect bash appeal with great crawlability.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

do you suppose the axles would work with an Axial build I'm doing? Are they gonna release axles sets on the aftermarket?? Be nice if they did.
roadman440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have to agree with the Utards here. Running the Wraith course at MSD was some of the most fun I had all weekend! I'll be honest, I wasn't all that interested in a Wraith initially. It looked cool, but I just didn't see all of the appeal. Now after driving one, I have to admit that Axial's plan worked.....I need one. Bad.

Congrats on winning the Wraith, Brett! Well deserved! It was also a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the Utah crew in Montana. Hopefully I'll see y'all there again next year.
Tommy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Great write up Kaetwo. You sound so professional.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubAron View Post
Great review I can't wait to start hopping up mine!
You'll love it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurJK View Post
Thanks for sharing, can't wait for mine!!
My pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by poof_bitch View Post
As Pinch stated, the video does a very good job of showing off it's capability and speed, however, it far more cool and fun to drive in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusik333 View Post
Awesome review kaetwo
I thought i wanted it before, now, I really want it to show up

I'm lovin that Durability is a 10 & no body clips

& of course the WOW!!! factor

thanks
Thanks!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
SO where are the pictures of the unicorn?
I'll get some up today for you guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman440 View Post
do you suppose the axles would work with an Axial build I'm doing? Are they gonna release axles sets on the aftermarket?? Be nice if they did.
The axles look very strong and having the ability to run the XR10 C's and Steering Knuckles is a huge plus. As far as aftermarket parts and other sales, I can't speak to that as I'm not an Axial employee or driver, but lets hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
I have to agree with the Utards here. Running the Wraith course at MSD was some of the most fun I had all weekend! I'll be honest, I wasn't all that interested in a Wraith initially. It looked cool, but I just didn't see all of the appeal. Now after driving one, I have to admit that Axial's plan worked.....I need one. Bad.

Congrats on winning the Wraith, Brett! Well deserved! It was also a pleasure meeting you and the rest of the Utah crew in Montana. Hopefully I'll see y'all there again next year.
I'm glad that you had fun, and really enjoyed meeting you guys. Thanks again for judging and the kind remarks

Old 05-24-2011, 10:29 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
Great write up Kaetwo. You sound so professional.

Thanks dad!!!!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

some action shots... sorry there blurry...this rig moves so fast...

needs2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I will also say that Kaetwo's review is spot on.

This thing is HOT!!!

toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Does the plastic feel or look like a new composite, or is it the same type that was used on the SCX10 TR's?
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:05 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Great review, thanks for taking the time putting this out.
I was up in the air on getting one but now you sold me. If some kids, old falla's like me and the drive it like you stole it crowd can drive it all day with out breakage , it has to be good !
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon12 View Post
Does the plastic feel or look like a new composite, or is it the same type that was used on the SCX10 TR's?
Kaetwo will have to reply on this since the Prototype that was being driven has a different glass-plastic ratio. The production version is stronger from talking to Brad. Although even the Prototype rig feels super strong.

Just remember, every rig will break at one time.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/318168-kaetwos-review-new-axial-wraith.html
Posted By For Type Date
Axial Wraith Spottings - PHASE I This thread Refback 10-05-2011 03:27 AM