Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's review of the new Axial Wraith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 07:42 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Sweet! When's it coming out? lol
Hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

what about a chassis mounted servo???
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:03 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

just ordered mine from Rpp after reading this review! Thanks for writing this up!
Hoyta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Very nice.

A little out of my price range.

But an awesome rig

Justin
WILDMAN442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axial View Post
All our plastics are nylon based. Some are more high impact than others, and some include glass fibers to prevent shape deformation. However the more rigid the material the more brittle it becomes.

The Wraith uses varying different grades of this composite plastic nylon. The majority of it is stiffer than the material we used on the Honcho. Since the tube frame is the main structure for the suspension and drive line to hang from we needed to use a material that was as rigid as possible, while still allowing some flex to prevent it from breaking.

The truck that was driven in the spec class had some of the original tube frame components that we felt were a little too brittle. It obviously didn't break but we knew it would be subjected to some more intense use later on so we opted to select some different materials in certain parts of the tube frame to make sure it was durable.

I'm not saying that it won't break, because I know that everyone will subject it to as much abuse as possible... But I will say that we trashed on it as much as possible and are really happy with how it turned out!

Great write up, I really enjoyed reading it and seeing what the feedback is on it. Enjoy it!

Someone asked about option parts, we are currently working on a bunch of them. Some items are already available since certain components from previous chassis do carry over, and I am pretty sure we will see lots of the vendors start to make parts for them as well.
Thanks for the reply, it's great to have a company as committed as Axial is to our little segment of the hobby. I won't be picking up a Wraith when it's first released, but I most likely will be around September or October.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

This review just makes me want mine more! Can not wait!

I know for a fact mine is gonna need alum. C-hubs and kunckles! My scx-10 blew through plastic ones no problem, I'm sure my 10t HH puller will find the weak points of this rig, but I know the axles should be pleanty study gear and shaft wise!
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #47
TSK
Shelf queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeski View Post
what about a chassis mounted servo???
I raed (for once) in Car Acion that they said that CMS was not considered due to the poor steering geometry (totally relevant with a four link suspension up front) which affected high speed handling (which was one of the main developmentcriteria).

Or somethign to that nature. So probably no factory CMS.
TSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:06 AM   #48
RCC Addict

can we see the new Wraith sitting next to your toyota, for size comparison? or...I guess i could just wait till mine gets here, in 2 weeks
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Axial,
Thanks for posting up that explaination about the plastics

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusik333 View Post
can we see the new Wraith sitting next to your toyota, for size comparison? or...I guess i could just wait till mine gets here, in 2 weeks
I'll shoot a picture tonight, of the rig next too a few rigs for comparison

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:54 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

I thought it would be cool to point this beast out against this years Montana Scale National rule set.

Tuber: plastic -4
A tuber consists of a complete body structure where the front, cab, and rear sections are comprised entirely of structural tubework.
• Rigid Metal/plastic body panels -1

Tube accessories
• Sliders: (both sides) plastic -1

Bumpers (items must be chassis mounted and separate from the body)
• Bumpers : plastic -1 each
• Stinger/grill guard: -1

Interior:
• 3D interior: 2 seat -3, SUV cargo area -1.

Functional items (max -8 pts):
• Headlights(2) and taillights(2) -2

Total – 14 points

Not too shabby for an out of the box rig. With very little effort, you could bump this number up by another 14 points for a total of 28 points (using this point system). What this does, is effectively allows this rig to drop right into the Modified Class (aka Class 3) with very little change.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the great review Kaetwo, looking forward to a pic of it next to your HOncho etc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Thanks for the great review Kaetwo, looking forward to a pic of it next to your HOncho etc.
My pleasure

I also started a more traditional tech thread located here;

Kaetwo's Axial Wraith

This is where I'll post my build with any changes or mods that I do.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:13 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

so what would be a better first scaler, a honcho rtr or a wraith. Im looking at a getting in to scaling, and i want some thing i can take to montana next year.(i have a lcc so im not new to working on rigs)
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Kaetwo,

I read your post about why you needed to win the Wraith for your son, but what was the back up plan in case you didn't win it?
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #55
'08 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Kaetwo,

I read your post about why you needed to win the Wraith for your son, but what was the back up plan in case you didn't win it?
No backup plan needed. When Kaetwo says he's going to win he's going to win
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
so what would be a better first scaler, a honcho rtr or a wraith. Im looking at a getting in to scaling, and i want some thing i can take to montana next year.(i have a lcc so im not new to working on rigs)
For a scale crawler, do you want to go big? Or small? Big would be the Modififed class, and small would be a Trail class or maybe even a Street class. The Wraith is a perfect rig for Modified and a really gnarly Trail class.

Competing in Montana is wicked difficult now, as the guys that come out to run are incredible drivers. For the Mod class, I can't think of a better rig to run than a Wraith modified to meet the scale points and beefed up enough to throw down some wicked power. Things like Beef Tubes and Super300's for this rig are necissary in Mod, and I can't wait to see what guys throw down with these.

So, base your decision on your rig size, and then go from there.

I hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
Kaetwo,

When I decide to win, I win. It's a simple as that.

Okay back to reality, I was in deep trouble if I didn't win this rig and would have had to come home with a Honcho or Dingo to throw his attention for a bit

Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zach View Post
No backup plan needed. When Kaetwo says he's going to win he's going to win
LOL
Old 05-25-2011, 08:56 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
For a scale crawler, do you want to go big? Or small? Big would be the Modififed class, and small would be a Trail class or maybe even a Street class. The Wraith is a perfect rig for Modified and a really gnarly Trail class.

Competing in Montana is wicked difficult now, as the guys that come out to run are incredible drivers. For the Mod class, I can't think of a better rig to run than a Wraith modified to meet the scale points and beefed up enough to throw down some wicked power. Things like Beef Tubes and Super300's for this rig are necissary in Mod, and I can't wait to see what guys throw down with these.

So, base your decision on your rig size, and then go from there.

I hope that helps.

When I decide to win, I win. It's a simple as that.

Okay back to reality, I was in deep trouble if I didn't win this rig and would have had to come home with a Honcho or Dingo to throw his attention for a bit

ya that definetly helps, i might just have to get a honcho for class2 and the wraith for class 3.
I dont care how i do, i just want to have fun and hangout.
minnesotamudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnesotamudder View Post
ya that definetly helps, i might just have to get a honcho for class2 and the wraith for class 3.
I dont care how i do, i just want to have fun and hangout.
One of each is a perfect plan

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
The Wraith is a perfect rig for Modified and a really gnarly Trail class.

Competing in Montana is wicked difficult now, as the guys that come out to run are incredible drivers. For the Mod class, I can't think of a better rig to run than a Wraith modified to meet the scale points and beefed up enough to throw down some wicked power. Things like Beef Tubes and Super300's for this rig are necessary in Mod, and I can't wait to see what guys throw down with these.
You may not need the beef tubes, these are one piece solid axles and we went fairly thick on the tube part of it. It should be really strong.

I would recommend the Universal Joint Axles that we will have available for it, they are based on the same design as what is on the XR10 and are really strong. They also provide additional steering angle beyond the stock stub axle/dogbone set up. Part number can be found on the box and in the instructions but we haven't officially released them yet so there is no pricing as of yet.

We have an email newsletter you can sign up for on our site near the bottom right of the page. Once signed up you will get notifications on any new items we release as well as any news pertaining to Axial.

Last edited by Matt.k; 05-26-2011 at 05:46 PM.
Matt.k is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/318168-kaetwos-review-new-axial-wraith.html
Posted By For Type Date
Axial Wraith Spottings - PHASE I This thread Refback 10-05-2011 03:27 AM