Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Axial wraith or gmade R1?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Axial wraith or gmade R1?

OK so here is a question for all of you that have any experience with this 2 crawlers. Which one is better and why? Both look to have the same basic concept, I like them both but what to buy and why is a difficult decision.
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

IMO from what I have read, and what I know of the R1 There are two way different rigs to do an even comparison. I will end up with the Wraith over the R1 Personally because it Axial and it looks better asteticly to me.
RPP Hobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I would think the wraith will have more upgrades available too.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbyx View Post
OK so here is a question for all of you that have any experience with this 2 crawlers. Which one is better and why? Both look to have the same basic concept, I like them both but what to buy and why is a difficult decision.
I've yet to see R1 aftermarket parts in the hobby shops I go to. That's the first sign. No parts local, means long wait time to get things fixed.

My Wraith is sweet. I've never been one to stare and gawk at an RC for so long but this Wraith makes me do it.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

As other pointed out yet, R1 has almost no aftermarket support, there's just a handfull of optional parts. For the Wraith you have many parts from the AX-10 and XR-10 optional and aftermarket that are a direct bolt-in, plus the aftermarket will grow fast around the Wraith, considering the hype it has!
Anyway, there's another point I would highlight about the R1 which I personally disagree: most of the drivetrain runs on smallish 8x50 bearings, even the ring gear, which is one of the highest load area for a bearing! Not the best in my book for a good service life...
Ok, on the ring gear it's not so hard to mod the housing to fit some flanged 10x50, which is much better. Still having to rely on so many small bearings in other areas doesn't make me feel comfortable about reliability.
R1 axles are a portal design. This alone for me is a good enough reason to buy them for a scale project (Mogs or similar), but I wouldn't buy the whole rig.
rockspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockspider View Post
R1 axles are a portal design. This alone for me is a good enough reason to buy them for a scale project
The portal design is actually the one thing that makes me hesitant to buy one. It seems cool and all, but putting more small gears and bearings in there just seems to be asking for trouble. I could be wrong though.

As far as looks go, I like them both. I think they both represent two different types of rock crawlers/racers very well.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote