Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #221
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESC View Post
OK thanks

But just to know does a sensored work as well as a brush????
I mean in the aspect of control and low speeds
It gets close to a brushed but not quite as much control on the low side. Brushless is just less maintenance.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #222

post clanker is right, this thread has been fun to read time and time again.....

just when i was about to give up, my LHS called me and i picked up my wraith today, but wouldn't you know that something as simple as me not having anymore male traxxas plugs has stopped me from being able to play with it tonight!!!!

it looks like my LNC has officially been handed down to my girl (she loves super slow crawlin so its perfect!) and not i get to try and make this wraith the new reliable crawler replacement...

i think im gonna take it slow with this one. ordered a CC BEC today and all it will see is 5000ma 3c lipos so i just need to pick a motor asap! probably stick with a HH brushed motor. any suggestion on a turn? im thinking 35t. i dont care about speed as much as i do torque. reliability is a big factor for me as well.

im going to order some VP lower links tomorrow and i think i wanna weight up the front of this thing. possibly relocate the 3c to the front.

the main concern i have with this machine is the steering links. now i can see why everyone complains... there's more slop in the front end than a flip flop stuck in the mud!

harley, a personal thx from me for summing up your report card for everyone to see! i think this one will be the funnest one yet!
Sixohh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM   #223
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixohh View Post
i think im gonna take it slow with this one. ordered a CC BEC today and all it will see is 5000ma 3c lipos so i just need to pick a motor asap! probably stick with a HH brushed motor. any suggestion on a turn? im thinking 35t. i dont care about speed as much as i do torque. reliability is a big factor for me as well.

im going to order some VP lower links tomorrow and i think i wanna weight up the front of this thing. possibly relocate the 3c to the front.

the main concern i have with this machine is the steering links. now i can see why everyone complains... there's more slop in the front end than a flip flop stuck in the mud!

harley, a personal thx from me for summing up your report card for everyone to see! i think this one will be the funnest one yet!
A 35t Torquemaster will be great. I suggest regearing as well though. Try between 84/18 and 84/14.

Replacing all the links (steering and suspension) is suggested, do it as fast as you can. That is one part you will notice a huge difference with.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #224

Default esc/motor

Im kinda new to the wrold of rc trailing and such. the trans gears stripped on me so i changed out the gears to the ax10 gears. its not as fast as before so Im looking around to see whats a good esc/motor combo that will give me the same, if not a little faster speed and a good amount of torque. any ideas? Im still running the stock electronics and motor.
JTG671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #225
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG671 View Post
Im kinda new to the wrold of rc trailing and such. the trans gears stripped on me so i changed out the gears to the ax10 gears. its not as fast as before so Im looking around to see whats a good esc/motor combo that will give me the same, if not a little faster speed and a good amount of torque. any ideas? Im still running the stock electronics and motor.
I cover this in one of the first few posts. Read those first, it'll give you a good direction.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:17 PM   #226
Pebble Pounder

Harley? Chassis mounted servo. Pro and cons? Reason is I been trying to utilize a servo saver. However, due to it's size ( traxxas and kimbrough large) would either have to elevate higher off axel or chassis mount. But, I'm not gonna lie. The angle that the drag link is at when chassis mounted is an eye sore. Simply it looks retarded. But too elevate higher, I would loose articulation?
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM   #227
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbuzzard View Post
Harley? Chassis mounted servo. Pro and cons? Reason is I been trying to utilize a servo saver. However, due to it's size ( traxxas and kimbrough large) would either have to elevate higher off axel or chassis mount. But, I'm not gonna lie. The angle that the drag link is at when chassis mounted is an eye sore. Simply it looks retarded. But too elevate higher, I would loose articulation?
The current chassis mounted servo options are all subpar in my opinion. A proper system NEEDS to incorporate a panhard mount. I am POSITIVE that we will see options for this in the upcoming months. Several vendors have talked about this, it's just a matter of who will have the time to work on it first. I haven't personally seen any finished products yet though.

SO for now, I say wait. As for the servo saver......BOOOOO! Kidding, I know people like to run them on go fast stuff. I just can't stand when I tell my truck to turn and it doesn't.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #228
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, I know. A nessasary evil. Bulky and ugly. but, keeps me from having a trash can full of servo's. It just sucks, while bashing in dirt or whatever and then I get to some rock terrain. I want my drag brake on and the servo saver off. Catch 22 with the Wraith.
buzzbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:31 PM   #229
20K Club

Adding wiring diagrams to the first page.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #230
RCC Addict

OK so I picked up the new Shock Towers from Jerry at DMG and let me start by saying the quality of these things are sick. My brother is a certified welder and freaked out on the awesome welds and craftsmanship put into these.

Here's a side by side with one of the stock shock mounts.

Here's my Wraith sitting at the stock stance

Flexed out suspension

Here's a few pic's of it installed with the electronics box still up front and battery moved up front. Plenty of room and easy to install.

A little trimming to the hood and shes set

So with in a few day I'm going to see how it performs and do a little TESTING so keep an eye out on the results.

Thanks Jerry
dubAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #231
Pebble Pounder

got tired of novak brushless systems taking a shit on me so i ordered up everything harley is running for power lol. lets see if that does better.
lagz2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #232
RCC Addict

I have a question on the stock drive shafts. First off I twisted one the first day out crawling no bashing or heavy abuse so I was looking at it with a couple of friends and was wondering if we put a rod down the center of the shaft if that would give it more strength?? I know it would have to be made so I could take it out to change shafts if needed. Does anybody know if anybody is going to make metal replacements for the plastic part of the stock shafts? I like mip but want to wait till they make one for the wraith to get them. We are thinking about taking the shafts to a friend of ours who runs a fab shop and see what he can come up with if it isn't already in the works by somebody else. Would anybody be interested in these if we could get them done if somebody else isn't already?
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #233
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
I have a question on the stock drive shafts. First off I twisted one the first day out crawling no bashing or heavy abuse so I was looking at it with a couple of friends and was wondering if we put a rod down the center of the shaft if that would give it more strength?? I know it would have to be made so I could take it out to change shafts if needed. Does anybody know if anybody is going to make metal replacements for the plastic part of the stock shafts? I like mip but want to wait till they make one for the wraith to get them. We are thinking about taking the shafts to a friend of ours who runs a fab shop and see what he can come up with if it isn't already in the works by somebody else. Would anybody be interested in these if we could get them done if somebody else isn't already?

Try using female to female with an aluminum sleeved male in the center. I been using a 19 turn onslaught and the shafts still work non-twisted.
gm0688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #234
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm0688 View Post
Try using female to female with an aluminum sleeved male in the center. I been using a 19 turn onslaught and the shafts still work non-twisted.
Can you add some pics? I am sure I am not the only one interested in seeing what you are talking about.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:39 PM   #235
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by craddock35 View Post
There is no need to wait for a Wraith specific MIP's the AX10 versions are the correct length and people have been using them on rigs similar to the Wraith for years now.

Also, if you don't have a vendor star you can't put out feelers on products. This is your warning.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #236
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
There is no need to wait for a Wraith specific MIP's the AX10 versions are the correct length and people have been using them on rigs similar to the Wraith for years now.

Also, if you don't have a vendor star you can't put out feelers on products. This is your warning.
My bad I wasn't really trying to put out a feeler I just know last time I had hime make something it wasn't much more for several than it was just a couple. Sorry didn't realize I was breaking a rule I was just asking a question trying to save a dollar.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #237
Rock Stacker

Glad you guys have this figured out before I buy one. This has some awesome info!
despain85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:25 AM   #238

Harley,

Really appreciate all the help you have given everyone and me with new truck.

I put in my order this morning for the Holmes BR-XL and 2012 Team Edition 20 turn Crawlmaster.

I've already added Vanquish tie-rod/steering links, rc4wd pythons (added 3oz to each front) with R35 RipSaws mounted on them, laid the shocks back, and regeared to 87/16 (using 4000 2S 25C Traxxas battery right now). Also added some Freq-z skins Rockstar Mikita motocross scheme looks tight, thanks Freq

Hopefully next week will order a CC BEC, Hi-tec 7955tg servo and vanq links, knuckles, c-hubs, diff covers and lockouts. Punisher shafts and pro-line shocks. Was thinking of replacing idler gear etc. with RR stuff also.

You see anything I'm missing to set this up for mainly non-comp crawling? Also how should the slipper be set in this set up, right now I have it at stock.
JMiller2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #239
20K Club

I'd add upgraded axle shafts when they're available but that's a solid list.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:25 AM   #240
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
ESC and Motor

Motor

Motor - For Speed
A system between 2200 and 3600kv would be my suggestion.

Motor - For Crawling
I would suggest a motor in the 25-45 turn range depending on how much wheel speed you would like to have.

Harley, what battery voltage did you have in mind for this suggestion?
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se • Visa trÃ¥d - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM