Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #381
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasons36 View Post
What are common shock weight fluids everyone is using in their wraiths? I'm building my kit tonight and not sure wha to use.
I am still running 30wt. Works well.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2011, 07:06 AM   #382
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelKID984 View Post
does upgrading to larger shocks such as 124mm or 104mm, mean great articulation?
The Wraith does not need more articulation. Needing more articulation is a common misconception by new comers. I actually run shorter shocks to limit articulation more.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 AM   #383

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
I am still running 30wt. Works well.
Thank you! Ill stick with that.
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #384

Quote:
Which strc pieces are giving you problems?

I purchased the steering linkage, c hubs and knuckles. The ONLY way to get steering linkage to reach each knuckle is by putting them on backwards to atach to the akerman arms. I say backwards because printed right on the knuckle it says left or right. The thing that kills me the most is that fitment is a comomon issue with strc on many models not just axial and they have ZERO customer service. No phone number and the emails i sent are 2 weeks old with no response. I took my wraith to 3 different hobby stores and they all said that "the parts dont fit correctly". so im not crazy
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:32 PM   #385

Im having a hell of a time here guys. Building my wraith and I'm on the step where the rear lockouts slide over the axle. On the longer side i had no problems whatsoever, the lockout slid on as far as it would go and i inserted the screws. on the shorter side the lockout just won't slide down all the way, its about 2mm short of bottoming out and lining up with the screws properly. If i slide the lockout on without the axle its fine. if i insert the axle without the bearing on it and then slide the lockout over that, still fine. When i put the bearing on the axle i cannot get the lockout all the way down. I tried both lockouts and both bearings on both sides and i only have this problem on the short axle side. Any idea whats going on?
jasons36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #386
Quarry Creeper

alright, thanks harley
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:12 PM   #387
RCC Addict

Quote:
Im having a hell of a time here guys. Building my wraith and I'm on the step where the rear lockouts slide over the axle. On the longer side i had no problems whatsoever, the lockout slid on as far as it would go and i inserted the screws. on the shorter side the lockout just won't slide down all the way, its about 2mm short of bottoming out and lining up with the screws properly. If i slide the lockout on without the axle its fine. if i insert the axle without the bearing on it and then slide the lockout over that, still fine. When i put the bearing on the axle i cannot get the lockout all the way down. I tried both lockouts and both bearings on both sides and i only have this problem on the short axle side. Any idea whats going on?
There is a thread on here that talks about it with many different fixes. A friend of mine just flipped the gears the other direction in his diffs and it went together like it should just puts everything running the opposite direction than the directions show. Hope this helps.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by couch View Post
I purchased the steering linkage, c hubs and knuckles. The ONLY way to get steering linkage to reach each knuckle is by putting them on backwards to atach to the akerman arms. I say backwards because printed right on the knuckle it says left or right. The thing that kills me the most is that fitment is a comomon issue with strc on many models not just axial and they have ZERO customer service. No phone number and the emails i sent are 2 weeks old with no response. I took my wraith to 3 different hobby stores and they all said that "the parts dont fit correctly". so im not crazy
I used the same c hubs and the knuckles with vanquish steering links. I need to use a part from the original knuckles to make it work. It's a little flat metal piece attached to the knuckle with 2 screws. I'm pointing at it with the yellow pointer in the picture.
Hope this is a little helpful.

Birthday 006 by [URL="http://www.flickr.com/people/12497686@N08/"]

Last edited by taehome; 12-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.
taehome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:37 AM   #389
Quarry Creeper

this should actually help my friend. thx man
joelKID984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #390

Harley, quick q please

TorqueMaster Pro combo <--- this from HH, is it what I require to get my Wraith at RTR stock speed on 3S?
I would be looking at 27T with 80 20 in 48 pitch or 56 14 in 32 when I can get them
Basically I am trying to get a combo pack together to enable me some speed with decent crawling abilities
Since I am in Australia, $32 shipping isnt too bad
Still working with a budget and have 3 rcs on Fleebay to get all my toys asap
My general application would be more trail runner than crawling, but on 3S should I drop the Spur and increase pinion? (or is it the other way round?)
Also I understand higher C rated batteries are much better than the lower ones
ie 40C minimum
Mostly I think I would be doing hill climbing but with speed not crawling, if this makes sense?
Lower gearing on 3S should still give me good speed and better torque?
Any info would be appreciated
Already sold something on fleebay which basically pays for my ESC and Can

;)

EDIT, Oh Harley all your info is excellent btw, you and others have made me realise how good the Wraith is

Last edited by TheThing; 12-06-2011 at 12:19 AM.
TheThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:17 AM   #391

Hey guys newbie with a question

I want to replace the stock 20t motor with something better quality (stock is on it's way out). Can I replace the motor ONLY and still use the stock esc (only running 2s lipo)? I do mostly crawling and some trails.

Motor suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help guys!
Jeremy
jvalason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 AM   #392
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThing View Post
Harley, quick q please

TorqueMaster Pro combo <--- this from HH, is it what I require to get my Wraith at RTR stock speed on 3S?
I would be looking at 27T with 80 20 in 48 pitch or 56 14 in 32 when I can get them
Basically I am trying to get a combo pack together to enable me some speed with decent crawling abilities
Since I am in Australia, $32 shipping isnt too bad
Still working with a budget and have 3 rcs on Fleebay to get all my toys asap
My general application would be more trail runner than crawling, but on 3S should I drop the Spur and increase pinion? (or is it the other way round?)
Also I understand higher C rated batteries are much better than the lower ones
ie 40C minimum
Mostly I think I would be doing hill climbing but with speed not crawling, if this makes sense?
Lower gearing on 3S should still give me good speed and better torque?
Any info would be appreciated
Already sold something on fleebay which basically pays for my ESC and Can

;)

EDIT, Oh Harley all your info is excellent btw, you and others have made me realise how good the Wraith is

Yeah the 27t TM will be good. You can start with the stock gearing and just watch the temps. If it gets hot than gear down.

There isn't a min battery size i would say because it depends on the capacity as well.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #393
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalason View Post
Hey guys newbie with a question

I want to replace the stock 20t motor with something better quality (stock is on it's way out). Can I replace the motor ONLY and still use the stock esc (only running 2s lipo)? I do mostly crawling and some trails.

Motor suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help guys!
Jeremy
Yes.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #394

Thx Harley, you're a legend
I will be getting the Titanium steering rods as well just to make things better
Also I can get a BMS-820DMG+HS for $34 to start off with and should be fine

Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #395
Pebble Pounder

I just ordered a strc aluminum steering link set, does it get the job done, or should I have just ordered a vanquish link set?
Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #396
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I just ordered a strc aluminum steering link set, does it get the job done, or should I have just ordered a vanquish link set?
I have not heard good things but I don't own one.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #397
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
I have them and they seem fine. However they dont seem to work well with the stock steering linkage.. The Toe is not right. I make my own Links anyway, so this wasnt much of an issue.. The STRC stuff is WAY cheaper than VP, but with VP you know FOR SURE its gonna fit or they WILL make it right for you. I just wish VP gear was more competitively priced.. Guess im just cheap

Just seems that the same part is $25 from STRC and $40 from VP.. Thats 60% more, surely it doesnt cost 60% more.. I feel,, and this is just me,, but I feel about 25% of that make up is just like buying a sweater with FOX Racing on it.. $30 sweater and a $25 FOX logo..
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #398
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post

Just seems that the same part is $25 from STRC and $40 from VP.. Thats 60% more, surely it doesnt cost 60% more.. I feel,, and this is just me,, but I feel about 25% of that make up is just like buying a sweater with FOX Racing on it.. $30 sweater and a $25 FOX logo..
go find a local machinist, show him the parts, then ask how much he would charge to do that. Guarantee they won't be under $40. What material, who's machining, where parts originate, and who's paying for customer service come into play.
skid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #399
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by skid View Post
go find a local machinist, show him the parts, then ask how much he would charge to do that. Guarantee they won't be under $40. What material, who's machining, where parts originate, and who's paying for customer service come into play.
Im just saying that if one company can design and build for X dollars, another should be able to do the same.. Give or take a couple %.
madkawi650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkawi650 View Post
Im just saying that if one company can design and build for X dollars, another should be able to do the same.. Give or take a couple %.
But you are comparing Aluminum to Titanium are you not?

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se &bull; Visa tråd - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! &bull; Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING &bull; Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM