Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #761
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith Beginners Guide

the internal bec is only about 2 amps and 5.0v, with an external which the most popular is the cc bec, its 10 amps and the voltage is variable. any time u upgrade a part that draws power from the esc you should install an external bec to handle the extra demand.
oldcoopdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #762

I just bought myself the Poison Spyder Wraith this afternoon and i'm having a few issues with it and was wondering if you guys could help me out...

After putting my battery in and driving it around for a bit I noticed two things,one being that when I turn to fully locked in either direction my rig slows down.ALOT.Like going from nearly full speed to almost a standstill.When I straighten it back up it takes a second to gather itself back up to full speed,but it gets there.The second thing I noticed is occasionaly the throttle is completely un-responsive.I hammer the trigger down,nothing happens,then a second or two later it takes off full speed. The third thing is it seems to have trouble crawling up what seem to me to be pretty easy lines.I read the Wraith motor thread and saw that the stock gearing is pretty terrible for crawling type stuff,am I just used to my Honcho with a 27t motor and 84/14 gearing? Am I asking too much out of the stock set up?
Is my battery too weak? (2s 25c 4000mah lipo)

I plan on driving it around a little more tomarrow and seeing if the whole throttle response thing was a fluke,and I planned on making a call to Axial to see if they had any answers,but thought I'd try here first.
Any help is appreciated,thanks!
Tayrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #763
Pebble Pounder

Have you set the controller to the esc? Turn on your transmitter and hold the throttle lever at full throttle then turn on your esc. You should hear a multiple beep tone then a steady beep. Push the throttle to full brake and hold till you hear another set of multiple beeps. Then release to neutral. It should beep again then cycle to ready mode. Try that first and see if it helps.

Sent from the foot hills of Tennessee.
wildmanMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #764
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayrob View Post
I just bought myself the Poison Spyder Wraith this afternoon and i'm having a few issues with it and was wondering if you guys could help me out...

After putting my battery in and driving it around for a bit I noticed two things,one being that when I turn to fully locked in either direction my rig slows down.ALOT.Like going from nearly full speed to almost a standstill.When I straighten it back up it takes a second to gather itself back up to full speed,but it gets there.The second thing I noticed is occasionaly the throttle is completely un-responsive.I hammer the trigger down,nothing happens,then a second or two later it takes off full speed. The third thing is it seems to have trouble crawling up what seem to me to be pretty easy lines.I read the Wraith motor thread and saw that the stock gearing is pretty terrible for crawling type stuff,am I just used to my Honcho with a 27t motor and 84/14 gearing? Am I asking too much out of the stock set up?
Is my battery too weak? (2s 25c 4000mah lipo)

I plan on driving it around a little more tomarrow and seeing if the whole throttle response thing was a fluke,and I planned on making a call to Axial to see if they had any answers,but thought I'd try here first.
Any help is appreciated,thanks!

Add a BEC and lower the gearing and you should be in decent shape for awhile. The stock motor is too fast really, just one of those things.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:01 PM   #765

I re-tried binding the recevier today with no luck.I have steering,but not a lick of throttle.Called Axial and thay said it sounds like I have a bunk ESC.Bummer is they said it'll be roughly 2 weeks till I have one in my hands.I'm gonna give what Wildman said a shot to see what that does.

Harley,thanks to your Wraith motor thread I oredered up an 84/16 gearing and plan on running that untill my motor dies.
Thanks again for the help! I'm looking foward to actually getting this thing out on some rocks soon!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:54 PM   #766
Rock Crawler

Thank you for the informative thread. I read the first few pages.

I am looking to get a Wraith for my personal driving. I have an LCC for comp crawling and an scx10 for my friends to drive. I want to drive scalers with my friends and let them drive the scx10. I was debating between the RTR vs. the KIT and have looked at both. I have brushed/brushless speed controls and motors so I do not need the rtr electronics or the radio system. Why does the kit cost 310 and the RTR costs 400? The Kit costs 90 dollars less and only has cvd axle shafts and lower links? It's got plastic uppers and steering links? What gives?

I come from 1/10 offroad, Associated and Kyosho (not traxxas), where kits have better parts all around the vehicle compared to rtr models. Why isn't the Wraith like this?

I have never said this before, but it sounds like the rtr is a better deal? Seems that both have to be upgraded a lot.

Last edited by z50king; 05-29-2013 at 12:57 PM.
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #767
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
Thank you for the informative thread. I read the first few pages.

I am looking to get a Wraith for my personal driving. I have an LCC for comp crawling and an scx10 for my friends to drive. I want to drive scalers with my friends and let them drive the scx10. I was debating between the RTR vs. the KIT and have looked at both. I have brushed/brushless speed controls and motors so I do not need the rtr electronics or the radio system. Why does the kit cost 310 and the RTR costs 400? The Kit costs 90 dollars less and only has cvd axle shafts and lower links? It's got plastic uppers and steering links? What gives?

I come from 1/10 offroad, Associated and Kyosho (not traxxas), where kits have better parts all around the vehicle compared to rtr models. Why isn't the Wraith like this?

I have never said this before, but it sounds like the rtr is a better deal? Seems that both have to be upgraded a lot.

You have the grasp on it for the most part. However the kit also has the sticky compound tires. If tires are not on your immediate list to upgrade then that is a nice plus.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #768
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayrob View Post
I re-tried binding the recevier today with no luck.I have steering,but not a lick of throttle.Called Axial and thay said it sounds like I have a bunk ESC.Bummer is they said it'll be roughly 2 weeks till I have one in my hands.I'm gonna give what Wildman said a shot to see what that does.

Harley,thanks to your Wraith motor thread I oredered up an 84/16 gearing and plan on running that untill my motor dies.
Thanks again for the help! I'm looking foward to actually getting this thing out on some rocks soon!
Sounds stupid but your battery could be low enough to engage your lvc. I done that twice and figured out my battery was low. Had to charge it on nimh for about 30 seconds to get the voltage back up (dangerous) before they would charge. Steering worked fine (powered off of bec) just no throttle what so ever. Good luck!

Sent from my fone uzeing spelchek.
gbaileyo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #769

gbaileyo7,my battery shouldn't have kicked on my LVC.I had a voltage meter on it and it had around 4 volts per cell.I'll try one of my other batteries though.Thanks!
Old 05-30-2013, 02:29 AM   #770

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Wiring Diagrams

Note: None of these diagrams show the stock lighting controller. It only requires a 4-6v power supply so any open port will work or you can direct wire it off your BEC (as long as you are running appropriate voltage) or your ESC's red RX wire.

Standard stock setup WITH BEC.
Note that you need to pull the red wire out of the plug from the ESC so that you do not burn up the internal BEC in the ESC. Just pull it back and tape it, you will need to be able to reconnect it to program it via a Castle link or Hotwire if your ESC is compatible with that (stock ESC can use a Castle link).

A typical 2 servo system.

Great thread,just got a wraith poison spyder, very happy with it..all stock besides 200 oz single servo.. I have a cc bec, i want to run 3s on stock ae2, does it matter which way i wire it per pics above?Which one do you recomend ?Thanks in advance
Lava Crawlah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #771
RCC Addict

The only difference between the two pictures above is the extra steering servo/winch.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #772
Rock Crawler

I have recently put a Tekin RS and Orion 17.5 into my wraith. I drove it today on the stock gearing and it was too slow. What gearing should I go? I do not know much about the final drive ratios in the Wraith so I don't know how to gear it. I have the can set to zero timing and the RS giving it 30 degrees over 20k rpm.

thank you,
Old 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM   #773
20K Club

Quote:
I have recently put a Tekin RS and Orion 17.5 into my wraith. I drove it today on the stock gearing and it was too slow. What gearing should I go? I do not know much about the final drive ratios in the Wraith so I don't know how to gear it. I have the can set to zero timing and the RS giving it 30 degrees over 20k rpm.

thank you,

Stock gearing is as fast as you can gear the truck and not really risk damaging the motor with heat issues. That is why I don't recommend a 17.5 as they are generally slow. You can try a 3s Lipo if you are running 2s or jump to a 13.5.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:54 AM   #774
Rock Crawler

Thank you. I looked and my speed control and motor will both accept 3s. I have an old battery out of an airplane that I will test it with.

My spur gear is wobbly and makes a lot of noise when running. How do you get it not to wobble?

Sent from my PG86100 with Tapatalk 2
I

Last edited by z50king; 06-09-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #775
20K Club

Quote:
Thank you. I looked and my speed control and motor will both accept 3s. I have an old battery out of an airplane that I will test it with.

My spur gear is wobbly and makes a lot of noise when running. How do you get it not to wobble?

I
Sounds like an install issue. I've never had a spur gear wobble.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #776
Rock Crawler

I didn't install it. It came that way from the previous owner. To pull the motor and trans do I take out the 8 skid plate screws and the shock upper mount screws? Will that drop the skid plate?

I <3 Tekin
Old 06-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #777
20K Club

Quote:
I didn't install it. It came that way from the previous owner. To pull the motor and trans do I take out the 8 skid plate screws and the shock upper mount screws? Will that drop the skid plate?

I <3 Tekin
Yeah that works.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #778
Rock Crawler

Is there another way? Do you take the roof and cage off, or something? I couldn't find another way.

Thank you

I <3 Tekin
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #779
Pebble Pounder

So with 55t axail motor and ud's in axles what spur and pinion should I use speed not that important to me motor seems hot after 20 min or so
vicstag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #780
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicstag View Post
So with 55t axail motor and ud's in axles what spur and pinion should I use speed not that important to me motor seems hot after 20 min or so
First page of the motor sticky has gearing info. Use the one specified for crawling.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se &bull; Visa tråd - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! &bull; Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING &bull; Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM