Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2014, 04:02 PM   #961
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Wraith Beginners Guide

Phew - 49 pages read, and pretty much digested. That's the price I pay for being late to the Wraith party !

Epic thread Harley, thanks soooo much for all the effort you put into this over several years - invaluable info and has set me in the right direction for my FOFF build

Now to read the motor thread
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2014, 06:21 PM   #962
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
Phew - 49 pages read, and pretty much digested. That's the price I pay for being late to the Wraith party !

Epic thread Harley, thanks soooo much for all the effort you put into this over several years - invaluable info and has set me in the right direction for my FOFF build

Now to read the motor thread
Thanks man. Most of the good info is in the first couple pages. Then followed by pages and pages of mostly the same questions that could be answered by reading the first page! I'm sure you've come to that conclusion by reading this thread.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #963
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
For a list of bulletproof mods, see this thread: Harley's Guide to a Bulletproof Wraith

Also a breakdown of stages of upgrading your Wraith.

Stage 1:
Axial Universals
Knuckles
Chubs
Lower links
Upper links
Steering links

Stage 2:
Tires
Wheels
Lockouts
Transmission gears
Driveshafts
Lockers
Diff covers
All bearings

Stage 3:
Shocks
Transmission Top shaft and slipper
Axle housings
Axle truss
Axle Gears
Bearing caps
Lower link/shock mounts

Stage 4:
Transmission housing swap to AX10 style
Heavy duty outputs
Swap driveshaft ends for 6mm revo style
HD rear axle shafts
Harley- a quick question (apologies if its been asked before but didnt find any reference)..

Do you think there is a need for beef tubes in the stock plastic axle housings at stage 1 / 2?

I see in stage three you recommend moving to better housings (presumably alloy). Presumably at this stage its better to put the money into the whole axles rather than just beef tube linings ?

thanks
Percymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #964

Great info. Thanks!
mccrory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #965
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Percymon View Post
Harley- a quick question (apologies if its been asked before but didnt find any reference)..

Do you think there is a need for beef tubes in the stock plastic axle housings at stage 1 / 2?

I see in stage three you recommend moving to better housings (presumably alloy). Presumably at this stage its better to put the money into the whole axles rather than just beef tube linings ?

thanks
The vanquish curries are pretty sweet but you pay for them.

The best combination you can do in my opinion is to get some dlux modded housings with beef tubes. This allows you to have the best pinion bearing setup and the beef tubes for strength and great thread engagement for the chubs.

The standard vanquish AL housings are strong but the threads for the chubs Will strip out. Beef tubes can be used on these too. However to handle power you have to use bushings on the pinion shaft so they don't blow up.

Rc4wd housings are pretty good from what I can see. The new D44 look cool but expensive like the curries.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:13 PM   #966
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna4engr View Post
The vanquish curries are pretty sweet but you pay for them.

The best combination you can do in my opinion is to get some dlux modded housings with beef tubes. This allows you to have the best pinion bearing setup and the beef tubes for strength and great thread engagement for the chubs.

The standard vanquish AL housings are strong but the threads for the chubs Will strip out. Beef tubes can be used on these too. However to handle power you have to use bushings on the pinion shaft so they don't blow up.

Rc4wd housings are pretty good from what I can see. The new D44 look cool but expensive like the curries.

Dna
Do the RC4WD housings use the 5x13 inner pinion bearing?
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #967
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Do the RC4WD housings use the 5x13 inner pinion bearing?
No, same as stock.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:40 PM   #968

Excellent write up and very helpful. I'm a newb to crawlers (not R/C) and just recently purchased a Wraith RTR. Thank you!
cwczx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:12 AM   #969
Rock Stacker

I just bought a Wraith kit. I'm using a MMP, I can't decide if I wanna go brushed or brushless. I'm looking at either a HH 13t crawlmaster or 3100kv Roc 412 any opinions?
Crawlerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #970
Pebble Pounder

I just finished the thread, lots of good information to be found, thanks for all the knowledge and patience given.

I'm getting my 5yr old boy the green rtr Wraith for Christmas and want it to be a happy Christmas morning by setting it up a little better than it comes out of the box. He's pretty handy, been running a little crawler since he was 2 and rarely crashes my Yeti so I figured the Wraith would be a good step up from the crawler for him.

I ordered a 58t 32p Robinson steel spur with 12t and 10t pinions, so we'll have a couple options right around a 5 to 1 ratio to hopefully make the stock motor last a while. I've also got a CC bec on the way. I'd like to go straight to 3s batteries since thats what I'm running in the Yeti. I'm looking hard at the Turnigy 2200 3s 40c, or the Turnigy 3000 3s 40c for my boy.

Any recommendations for one battery over the other?

With the gearing I'm going with and 3s power how fast will it be in relation to the stock Yeti?
I'm looking for about half the speed.

And, with the above mentioned gearing and 3s power what kind of life expectancy (in hours) should we get with the stock Wraith motor?

Thanks again
npcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #971
Rock Crawler

I'm sure you'll get some more response's. But I think stock ESC will not be good with a 3s. 2s will be fine but motor might not last a real long time. I have same trk. But upgraded almost everything. Good luck. Nice present.
jwall046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:07 PM   #972
20K Club

The stock ESC is perfectly fine on 3s, it just needs a BEC.

I like to run the Turnigy 2200 60-120C versions, avoiding all the Nano-tech versions. I also like the 2650 packs they offer. I like these because they fit nicely up front even when tucking all the electronics up there. I've never ran the 3000 packs.

As for half the speed of a stock Yeti, maybe you'll get there but even that is going to be a stretch. A Wraith is not a great high speed rig in general, don't try to compare the two because they are totally different rigs.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:10 PM   #973
Rock Crawler

Can roc412 run on stock ESC and 3s? I was gona buy a MMP ESC. Ty
Old 11-01-2014, 09:13 PM   #974
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
Can roc412 run on stock ESC and 3s? I was gona buy a MMP ESC. Ty
No, the stock ESC is brushed only.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #975
Rock Crawler

Thank you very much!
Very appreciated.
Old 11-02-2014, 04:55 AM   #976
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The stock ESC is perfectly fine on 3s, it just needs a BEC.

I like to run the Turnigy 2200 60-120C versions, avoiding all the Nano-tech versions. I also like the 2650 packs they offer. I like these because they fit nicely up front even when tucking all the electronics up there. I've never ran the 3000 packs.

As for half the speed of a stock Yeti, maybe you'll get there but even that is going to be a stretch. A Wraith is not a great high speed rig in general, don't try to compare the two because they are totally different rigs.
Thanks, I should have said less than half speed, so we'll be in good shape then.

What about the life expectancy of the stock motor?
npcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:52 AM   #977
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcaldwell View Post
Thanks, I should have said less than half speed, so we'll be in good shape then.

What about the life expectancy of the stock motor?
Regear right out of the box and it will last you several months if you monitor temps regularly.
Old 11-30-2014, 02:20 AM   #978
Pebble Pounder

I just got a wraith. Compared to my scx 10 honcho its so top heavy. Is there a rail chassis for the wraith skid so I got more options to move weight around ?
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #979
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by riff_raff View Post
I just got a wraith. Compared to my scx 10 honcho its so top heavy. Is there a rail chassis for the wraith skid so I got more options to move weight around ?
Definatly move battery up front asap. Flip shock mount upside down. That makes a big difference.
Then tell me what one you like better. I want a scx10 next myself.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:22 AM   #980
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwall046 View Post
Definatly move battery up front asap. Flip shock mount upside down. That makes a big difference.
Then tell me what one you like better. I want a scx10 next myself.
The mounts are flipped. Will have a crack at moving that battery. But right now just the variety I can get from the scx is much better as far as mods.. and even though its 1.9 it crawls heaps better ..not quicker but
Trail Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se • Visa trÃ¥d - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM