Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Wraith

Notices

Thread: Wraith Beginners Guide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2016, 04:26 AM   #1021

Default Re: Wraith Beginners Guide

Hi all,

Thanks for the great information!

I recently got a good deal on a Wraith, having little experience with this side of RC, and have begun reading up on it.

I've read a bit mentioning the stock 20t motor won't last long, and given the funds are a little low at present, I'm looking to try and take care of it for as long as possible.

Apologies if it's been covered in the previous posts (I'm only 10 pages in...) but can anyone tell me what sort of driving shortens the motor life on stock gearing? Is it high / sustained speed or low speed crawling that hurts it most?
If I monitor the temp and keep it under 160f is that the best way to lengthen its life?

Many thanks.

Cheers,
Crouch
CamoCrouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2016, 06:23 PM   #1022
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCrouch View Post
motor life on stock gearing? Is it high / sustained speed or low speed crawling that hurts it most?
If I monitor the temp and keep it under 160f is that the best way to lengthen its life?
NO water and mud , and drop 1 tooth on the pinion, stay 2s , oil bearrings
these do often and always ... and you'll be taking care of it getting the best out of it
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM   #1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
While I prefer the styling of the PS Wraith, I think the Spawn is a good buy. I don't like the body, but the same old Wraith cage is underneath of that body and ready for customizing!

I would lean you towards the Spawn, but you have to be willing to wait for it's release as that is still a few weeks away. Here are some reasons:
  • Much stronger driveshafts
  • 32 pitch spur and pinion with dual slipper design
  • New Waterproof RX box
  • New lightweight interior (also a cost savings)
  • Heard a rumor that the Ripsaws were R35
  • Lower cost
  • Only downside is the cheap ESC.
I'm liking the upgraded parts on the spawn kit, but I would like to know if the Axiel dig unit works on the spawn stock tranny?
sub-zero123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 PM   #1024
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub-zero123 View Post
I'm liking the upgraded parts on the spawn kit, but I would like to know if the Axiel dig unit works on the spawn stock tranny?
Same transmission.
Fits the same.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 10:46 PM   #1025

Looking for help: I just cleaned my wraith after the first five uses and went through to make sure nothing had loosened off or any obvious problems. When I reconnected the battery, and turned it on the vehicle now goes in reverse instead of forward and vice versa. Do I have to light it on fire or some other drastic measure to get the System to work properly?
It is a wraith poison spider RTR with a Nimh battery. I have used it five times. Thanks in advance for the help

Edit: turn on remote hold throttle. I have ten acres of forest and trails, smiles per dollar is out of control. So much fun

Last edited by Pxwraith; 04-24-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Dumbass
Pxwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #1026
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pxwraith View Post
Looking for help: I just cleaned my wraith after the first five uses and went through to make sure nothing had loosened off or any obvious problems. When I reconnected the battery, and turned it on the vehicle now goes in reverse instead of forward and vice versa. Do I have to light it on fire or some other drastic measure to get the System to work properly?
It is a wraith poison spider RTR with a Nimh battery. I have used it five times. Thanks in advance for the help

Edit: turn on remote hold throttle. I have ten acres of forest and trails, smiles per dollar is out of control. So much fun

During your clean-up, did you disconnect/reconnect your motor?

If so you might have reversed the wires, on a brushed motor you can reversed the rotation by swaping the wires going to it.
valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #1027

Quote:

Looks like you already got this figured out but if its not the motor wires as someone else mentioned another possibility is that the ESC is programmed to run the motor clockwise/counterclockwise. Maybe some sort of power surge caused it to reset to factory defaults?

It could also be that you hit the reverse channel switch on the radio by accident assuming your radio has one. I think Castle's setup guide actually says to reverse the throttle channel on Futuaba radios, which is why it occurs to me...
JJHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #1028

Hey guys, my Wraith ain't the prettiest rig our there, but I put together an overview showing a few basic upgrades and mods that I've done to it over the years: hinged hood, battery relocation, radio box relocation, etc. Hope it's useful!

Feel free to sub while you're there! https://youtu.be/U5K7fACZjf4

Last edited by JJHall; 05-19-2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: resize image
JJHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #1029
MODERATOR™

Yeah, you're gonna need to resize that picture to fit the rules.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:48 AM   #1030

Wondering if the Wraith Spawn would work on the beach and in sand dunes? Not sure if it has enough speed/momentum to play in sand bowls and dunes.
Will also be driving forest trails.
Thank You
SteveMongr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 05:13 PM   #1031

Wraith Shock question
Do any of you have any roll over issues with the Proloine Slash Rears for racing? I put these on my Wraith before reading Harley's thread. I flipped the 4 shock mounts and put sway bars up front. Green proline springs top and bottom, I also lowered the shock oil to 25. Trying to get as low as I can because on first couple outings I had terrible rollover issues!!!
I think I should have gone with Slash Fronts instead.
Is it possible to get by with these somehow or would it be best to just switch to Proline Slash fronts?
I am new to rock racing and I'm not sure on set up.
I'm trying to piece together all of the info in the forums but there are so many different opinions! LOL
Fintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #1032
Quarry Creeper

You coud try this droop kit, i have it on mine and im really happy about it.
Much cheaper than new shocks.

Gear Head RC Wraith Droop - Lowering Kit
Rcdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #1033
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fintobean View Post
Wraith Shock question

Do any of you have any roll over issues with the Proloine Slash Rears for racing? I put these on my Wraith before reading Harley's thread. I flipped the 4 shock mounts and put sway bars up front. Green proline springs top and bottom, I also lowered the shock oil to 25. Trying to get as low as I can because on first couple outings I had terrible rollover issues!!!

I think I should have gone with Slash Fronts instead.

Is it possible to get by with these somehow or would it be best to just switch to Proline Slash fronts?

I am new to rock racing and I'm not sure on set up.

I'm trying to piece together all of the info in the forums but there are so many different opinions! LOL

Using a droop kit does not solve the issue, either you use shorter shocks (e.g. front slash) or u reduce shock travel with some cheap solution and combine it with a droop kit ..

Had similar issue and went back to shock standard length + good oil/spring setup

My 2cents
slimfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #1034

Nicad question... I want to go faster, but do not have boatloads of money. What is my best go faster option for an rtr wraith with nicad batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pxwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 PM   #1035
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Nicad question... I want to go faster, but do not have boatloads of money. What is my best go faster option for an rtr wraith with nicad batteries?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without changing batteries, gearing will be the cheapest. Im not positive on the motor but is it a 20t? try changing the pinion on the motor, you might get a slight change in speed. Temps will get higher though, so you run the chance of burning up the motor faster.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk
Jfrisch01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #1036

Woo hoo! Ordered my wraith today from the local hobby shop. Can't wait for it to get here Monday. Have to pick up a battery and charger when it comes in but can't wait to start driving it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
emeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:04 PM   #1037
Rock Stacker

GONNA GET A WRAITH SOON> WHAT ELSE SHOULD I ORDER WITH IT ? ITS A SPAWN BTW
very nooby so silmple awnser would be best
THANKS
mooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:59 AM   #1038
Rock Stacker

@mooman 2s - 3s Battery and a charger. I'd go 2s 4000 mah or higher. And a charger that will charge at least 2s.shoukd get a charger that does 3s as well because you'll eventually probably go to 3s.
Newcrawler24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:42 AM   #1039

Lots of great info for a new guy like me. thank you to all that have added to this thread. Saved me lots of time!
dr.dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #1040
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.dirty View Post
Lots of great info for a new guy like me. thank you to all that have added to this thread. Saved me lots of time!
Ditto on that.
soze is online now   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/323522-wraith-beginners-guide.html
Posted By For Type Date
need help with the torque twist on the wraith - RC Rock Crawlers & Scalers @ URC Forums This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:16 PM
looking to buy a crawler. whats good? - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board This thread Refback 12-16-2011 10:09 AM
RCCrawler.se • Visa trÃ¥d - Striiiker, Axial Wraith This thread Refback 12-08-2011 01:24 PM
RR Wraith By Rock (Star) - Pagina 2 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 12-03-2011 02:46 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 11-27-2011 03:27 PM
Nuovo Axial Wraith!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Pagina 70 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 11-22-2011 12:07 AM
KS Wraith This thread Refback 10-28-2011 05:21 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-27-2011 12:24 PM
RC Elétrico - o fórum de automodelismo elétrico! • Tópico: - Lançamento: Axial Wraith KIT This thread Refback 10-17-2011 05:52 PM
RC crawler guys - thinking about getting into the hobby - Page 4 - YotaTech Forums This thread Refback 10-15-2011 12:06 PM
Axial Wraith battery selection - Radio Control Zone This thread Refback 10-07-2011 08:40 AM
ZONACRAWLING • Ver Tema - Axial Wraith: Experiencias, comentarios y preparaciones. This thread Refback 10-04-2011 05:04 PM

Wraith Beginners Guide - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR-10 beginners problems mcmalta Electronics 10 11-29-2011 11:04 AM
beginners build firefighter1211 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 11-19-2010 09:44 PM
Beginners build mhuffman_81 EnRoute Berg 13 07-17-2009 05:42 PM
crawler for beginners farm__boy Newbie General 12 02-15-2009 02:07 PM
Beginners guide increasing your rigs sidewalling ability rockwerks General Crawlers 15 05-09-2007 06:26 PM